HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of selling my CA94SD and getting a UMP. The gun works fine, it's just that I have a suppressor for my K and thought it might be more interesting and different to go with a UMP. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I love my UMP conversion so far but still very much love my standard MP5. I probably love my MP5 more. But given the choice I'd prefer to keep both!! I have a feeling I'll like the UMP more after sbr'ing. This long barrel sucks.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
agriebel

I live out in the country a little bit - not way out but not in the city. So, I can go outside and pop off a few rounds at some cans and plastic milk bottles. I can do that with out hearing protection with the SD the USC/UMP without a suppressor is much louder. While I think my USC/UMP is fun to shoot but I think I like the SD more.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
What do you think?
I like my SD fine, but the K with a can seems like a better setup all things considered.
The UMP with a can is nice too, but can't match the size of the K.

If I really really was forced to have only one, I'd keep the UMP + Can.

Now if you factor a sear in, the balance tips back to the SD/K as they are sear hosts where the USC/UMP is not.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A SBR UMP looks really cool and modern. Your K gun with a can is more versatile than the SD. I would rather shoot full power 147 gr bullets than a slowed down 115gr bullet any way.

The fact that the SD is a NFA item will make it a little harder to sell and make it harder to replace if you change your mind. If you don't already have a sear I would hold off on the clones and get one if at all posable. I know a lot of guys that will buy 10 $1,500 guns in a year or so tell me the can't afford full auto.

Have you ever shot a UMP? I had a chance to shoot my dealers 40 S&W UMP. I was pretty underwhelmed with it. It felt choppy and had more recoil than I expected. It's like shooting a 9mm AR after shooting a MP5.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Sell the SD and get a full size MP5 clone. If you don't have one already, that's what you really need.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
IMHO it is a little late, unless money is no object. The Coharie SD is a SBR, plus the SD has a can. Unless you can find a buyer in your state, taxes and fees are going to kill your resale value. My dealer charges $50 per NFA transfer (I've heard that some dealers charge $100+). Unless you live in NV, there would be $200 on the SBR plus $200 for the can plus the double $50 in transfer fees to get your SBR and can out of your state to me. That is $500 plus whatever you want for the gun and can. Plus the $200 for the SBR and $200 for the can to transfer to me. So a grand total of $900 plus the cost of the gun to get your CA to me, or anyone else other than in your state.

I'm having Jeff build me a couple of SD pistols using SW receivers, HK parts has US made SD front end kits using a RCM barrel and RCM SD bolt groups. So all I need to finish the SDs are mag catch assemblies, rear sights, pistol caps, and a trigger groups. RCM will be having a run of SD cans. They are built in the same way as the Coharie SD cans except the RCM cans are built from aluminum. The RCM cans are new so transfer tax free to a dealer. So for fees I'd pay $20 transfer for a Title I pistol, and $50 for a Title II transfer for the new can. So that would be $270 to me instead of $900. To get a SBR, I'd need to file a Form 1, but at least I'd have the pistol. Now I could have Jeff file a Form 2 and make a SD pistol into a SBR. But that would still be $520 for a new SBR and can to me.

I don't know what you paid for your CA94 SD, but I'd think you'd need to consider what you'd be pricing your SD against. Not only would there be a "ballpark", $900 in fees and transfer tax to someone out side your state, but there is also the wait. It would be close to a year for me to purchase your SD SBR and can and actually shoot it. Maybe you can find an instate buyer, but the weight of the CA can will not be a good selling point. Certainly being mostly SS it would last forever, but dam, the CA SD cans are heavy. Personally, I find the roller locked pistol caliber guns so much more pleasant to shoot than the blow back Colt or UMP guns. I'm sorry, if my post "rained on your parade", but certainly if you are planning to use the money from the sale of the CA SD to fund the UMP SBR, the extra taxes for an out of state sale could cut into your budget. Good luck with your CA project. YMMV.

Scott

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I will just hang on to it. I have a V89/40 as my full size MP5 style gun. I just thought the UMP looked cool and I didn't have the cash for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts