HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just though I'd write up some notes for anyone interested in this option. https://safetyharborfirearms.com/products/kes-kompact-entry-stock/product/83-kes-mp5k-clones

On my HK SP5k, this required some manual fitting with a round file to the holes for the push pins. It didn't really fit out of the box, I probably could have forced the push pins in, but it was so tight that I knew it would be a pain to take it down later, so I spent maybe 30 minutes with the file getting it cleaned up. It's still a bit tight, but workable.

The lock up of the rails is pretty tight, with maybe a millimeter of play, and a slight bit of flex that you'd expect from such retractable designs.

The tailhook is neat, and works quite well. It clamps onto the adapter with two hex screws. I left mine just a tad loose, so that I can swivel the tail hook left and right with a bit of friction otherwise keeping it in place. I did this because fully closed up, the hook is long enough to make holding the pistol grip uncomfortable as the hook interferes and digs into the wrist a bit. Extended out one click and it isn't an issue, just when its fully closed up.

All in all, I'm happy with it; but it is one of, if not the most expensive brace option and for the money I'd expect better fit on factory HKs. They do offer a return policy if the fit isn't good, and I sat on it for a day contemplating sending it back since I didn't really like the idea of taking a file to a $400 product. Obviously, in the end I decided to suck it up and get it fitted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I have been looking for this type of option because I don't really like the folding brace that much.
Question: Have you taken the tailhook off and just tried it as a cheek rest?

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the write up. I have been looking for this type of option because I don't really like the folding brace that much.
Question: Have you taken the tailhook off and just tried it as a cheek rest?
Did just now as a special request for you, sir! :)

Works fine, with the caveat that bar stock in your grill isn't necessarily the most comfy thing.. but its a 9mm. Kick basically doesn't exist, so I can't imagine it would be a difficulty.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did just now as a special request for you, sir! :)
Well, thank you very much indeed.

I am intrigued with this solution and would most likely get it with the brace. Being able to move it out of the way for non brace shooting is a plus. That is one of the drawbacks of the folding brace.

thank you again.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, thank you very much indeed.

I am intrigued with this solution and would most likely get it with the brace. Being able to move it out of the way for non brace shooting is a plus. That is one of the drawbacks of the folding brace.

thank you again.
Sure thing.

If you end up getting one, I'd be interested to hear whether you have the same issues with fitment that I had. Obviously, one gun and one brace adapter isn't exactly a quality-controlled experiment!

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Thanks for the review, I like the idea of stocked version for an SBR but am a little turned off at the fitment, so I appreciate your taking the time to write that up. Maybe I will give it some time for them to work the bugs out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just went to the vendor's site and I see they have an option to check a box that you have an actual HK SP5K and not a clone, apparently because of the fitting issues. Just curious if you ordered an SP5K brace or if the vendor JUST added that recently? Maybe they read your post! : D

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just went to the vendor's site and I see they have an option to check a box that you have an actual HK SP5K and not a clone, apparently because of the fitting issues. Just curious if you ordered an SP5K brace or if the vendor JUST added that recently? Maybe they read your post! : D
I don't recall that option, so I'm pretty sure they just added it.

Interesting. Maybe I'll give them a call and ask if they did an update to the brace of some sort; would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have one on my Zenith Z5P. Its SBRed so I got the regular stock not the tailhook. It was a tiny bit tight at first but now goes on and off just fine. It's a excellent stock I think. Locks up great, lightweight, nice integral sling button holder on each side. Very well thought out and great implementation, I highly recommend.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just got my sp5k brace with tailhook also. They have a box on the site to check for sp5k specifically now. Mine fit very tight, but perfectly and very precise. It’s a fantastic option for the sp5 imo. Expensive, but I feel the quality and functionality of the part is worth it. The tail hook concept is the best brace idea to date I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
I used to think differently, but a quality armbrace is better than SBRing in most cases. Even an expensive brace.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Finally got my KES tailhook for the SP5K. Like Nitrox1 mentioned, mine was tight going on but the rest of it is also tight, in a good way. I was worried it would be a bit sloppy or rattle around, but no, perfect fit.
This is the solution I was after to start with but went through two other braces before I saw this one :( oh well, got it now and glad I did.

Thanks again sickness for the original post.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts