HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this was retarded and I want to see if I screwed anything up...

I have been playing with the USP all night and am apparently getting tired. I was field stripping it, and noticed a funny spring "dooing" noise when I pulled the slide stop lever out. Then the slide wouldn't come off. I tried a little more force to no avail (not real hard, didn't want to force anything). Then to my suprise I noticed that the mag was still in it. I tried to get the slide stop reinstalled but there was something in the way. I racked the slide to get the hammer back, still there. I decocked it (holding slide in proper spot), still there. Then it dawned on me...TAKE OUT THE MAG! Turns out I think the "dooing" noise was the mag fully extending the follower when I pulled the slide stop out.

I dropped the mag, put it back together, made sure everything still worked, then took it apart and spent 30 minutes looking for anything that might be broken. Everything looked fine and the gun passed the function check. Is there anything that I could have damaged in being this stupid that I need to check???

Oh yeah, why wouldn't the slide come off with the mag in...just curious?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Probably not, but one cardinal rule of field stripping is to take the mag out first. If you'd have had a Glock you might have seriously injured yourself had you still had ammo in it or at the very least, scared the bejebus out of yourself. No harm, no foul though and you learned something.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, pretty guber thing to do. I am very used to the Glock design and not having to pull the HKs trigger first really threw me. I was sitting there thinking, "Sweet, don't have to rack it or anything, just pop this lever out and..."

By the way, I always check the chamber, but this is like the 3rd time I have field stripped the USP tonight and I knew it had not been near any ammo.

Regardless, I broke the golden rule and wont do it again!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Your pistol is fine. The mag keeps the slide from coming off and that is why it MUST be removed before field stripping. You did not damage anything other than your pride.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big Bore, I owe you a beer. Thanks for helping me out!

I called HK this morning to get a key for the lock in the mag well and while I had the guy on the line, I asked about the boofed field strip attempt. He said that it shouldn't have hurt anything, but that if I had forced it, it could have damaged the trigger bar. Glad I wasn't in a "forcing" mood!

With regards to my other post on the slide rail gaps, I did check out the two USP .45 ACPs at the local shop at lunch. Looked just like mine. Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Probably not, but one cardinal rule of field stripping is to take the mag out first. If you'd have had a Glock you might have seriously injured yourself had you still had ammo in it or at the very least, scared the bejebus out of yourself. No harm, no foul though and you learned something.
Yep, and you have to be forever vigilant when in the presence of others that are clearing them as well, especially Glocks. The previous owner of the range near me was killed a few years ago. A customer had a rented Glock that had an empty chamber when he brought it in the store. He racked the slide to demonstrate it was empty, then dropped the mag which was still loaded. They emptied the magazine, put it back in, and the owner knelt down to put it back into their lockup cast that has posts that go through the trigger guard and are then padlocked in place. Unfortunately, it was pointing straight at his gut, and it fired.

I never let anyone point any assembled gun in my direction. Not even one which I have just personally checked as being empty. All it takes is one completely honest mistake, and a chain of unfortunate circumstances.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's it, you're fired. No just kidding. We all pull bone head moves from time to time, be it with guns (yikes) or other common household implements. Hey, when I was a lot younger I found out when you step on the blade of a garden hoe it will really rise up and smack you in the head just like in the cartoons!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Hey, when I was a lot younger I found out when you step on the blade of a garden hoe it will really rise up and smack you in the head just like in the cartoons!
That is funny. Although it is how I normally pick a rake up off the ground when done using it. One of these days I am going to miss the handle and feel like a cartoon myself.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That sure is the truth. Never again will I depend on somebody I don't know to turn the power off at a breaker for me. I nearly fried myself replacing a dishwasher!!

That's it, you're fired. No just kidding. We all pull bone head moves from time to time, be it with guns (yikes) or other common household implements.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts