HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Just got my HK P30L back from Lazy Wolf Guns (Rick Holm, used to be lead HK guy for Gray Guns): Lazy Wolf Guns, a leader in H&K and SIG pistolsmithing innovation

After having his "HK-Hammer Fired Master Reduced Reset Action Package" done and the internals plated. Not cheap at $315 before shipping, but a really nice enhancement. I really like this pistol, have used it for a couple classes and it shoots just right for me. My only gripe was the reset, IMHO the HK P series reset bites, it's ridiculously long and caused me issues having come from 1911s and striker fired pistols. I can work with it, but when I bounce back and forth between pistols I end up short stroking the HK. It was literally like a DA revolver reset. This fixes it:

http://vid8.photobucket.com/albums/..._279715149079201_1703752758_n_zpslmaitc4r.mp4

The video is lifted off of Rick's Facebook page and demos the reset...and break.

It's now more in line with a shorter striker fired pistol reset. The overall trigger action is also greatly improved, the LEM take-up is glass like, and the break much, much, cleaner (cleaner and smoother than my VP9). I had already modded this pistol by the addition of Trijicon HDs and changing it from V3 (DA/SA) to V0 (Light LEM, retaining a spurred hammer and de-cocking function). The V0 allows me to decock the pistol to a straight DA mode, (acts like a standard DA/SA trigger) rather than LEM, or just put the springs at rest without dry-firing. The spurred hammer greatly aids in dry-firing because I can simply cock, rather than rack the slide for each shot, and I dry fire a lot!

All of the functions have been cleaned up and smoothed out.

I was not thrilled with the wait time, initially promised 6-8 weeks which turned into 4 months (stuff happens), but the end result is very impressive. Put 100 rds through it last night working 8" plates and bowling pins, shooting from reset and the difference is astounding on how much easier it is to shoot this pistol quickly without all that back and forth trigger finger movement going on.

I've got another P series (my P2K carry gun in 357Sig) I'm thinking of sending in, once I get confirmation his wait times are back under control. Some of you HK guys that aren't thrilled with your P series reset (I don't think USPs or HK45s are bad) might want to take a look.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Nice review. I had the same experience shipping a few HK's to GGI. 6-8 weeks really = 4-5 months, but the end result was worth the wait.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your review convinced me. I'm sending my P30 v4.1 in. Do they charge your credit card right away or when the work is done?
IAW his website, you'll get an invoice/bill 5 days before your pistol is complete. In my case I received a bill via Email on 1AUG, which I paid that day. Pistol shipped back on the 9th of this month. So you've got some time........

It really does make it a whole different shooting pistol. I've always liked the trigger/reset on the VP9, but for some reason, I've always liked the "feel"; balance, ergonomics ect. of the P30L better. This just clinched it. IMHO the trigger is a blend of the long smooth take-up of the Walther PPQ (own 2) combined with a crisp break. I've never minded the longish LEM take-up, as I'm into the trigger as I'm pressing out as part of my draw stroke. Kind of like a regular DA/SA, but minus 10+ lbs for the 1st shot.

Chuck

·
Priest of the P7
5,318 Posts
I've been thinking about sending mine. I'm not much of a trigger diva, but the reset on the P30 is hella long and, being so tuned into the P7 now, I have short stroked it a time or two. Thing is, it's my HD pistol and I'm not sure I want to have any trigger work done on a pistol I need to 100% no bull**** reliable. Thoughts from the think tank?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been thinking about sending mine. I'm not much of a trigger diva, but the reset on the P30 is hella long and, being so tuned into the P7 now, I have short stroked it a time or two. Thing is, it's my HD pistol and I'm not sure I want to have any trigger work done on a pistol I need to 100% no bull**** reliable. Thoughts from the think tank?
I've only got 100 rds through mine since it came back, but I did a butt-load of research and reading of reviews prior to sending mine in. I've never read of an issue with a pistol that Rick's worked on......period. before heading off on his own, he was "The" HK guy at Gray Guns, that also has a sterling reputation.

Hopefully some of the other guys that have guns he's worked on will chime in.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
All four of my HKs have Rick's work done. I had him do action / reset packages on my P30, P30L and P2000sk when he was at Grayguns. Once 4.1 parts became available, I had him mate those to his reset work. Another P30 LEM I had was stock and received a 4.1 + reduced reset package from a ground up.
The 2000sk needs a standard hammer spring to ignite reliably; all 30s are set with 10 lbs main springs and ignite all decent quality ammo. I have 25K on main P30 with 8 stoppages, 6 of which are attributable to springs / maintenance; about 250 rounds after 4.1 parts.
The P30L is about 6K, all on reduced reset, 1.3K after 4.1 parts. Two stoppages due to worn mag springs.
I have zero problems with carrying any of those guns or putting them on my nightstand.

Probably the most shootable LEM set ups I've ever tried. Got some of my personal bests on different drills with them. Went through Ernest Langdon's class with 30L a month ago. Eff'd up my FAST run (was hoping to get a coin run that I've done with this gun in practice), otherwise did pretty well.

Overall, a waste of money for those who are happy with their LEMs as is. Those who come to their practice with a timer will find Rick's work helpful.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You beat me to a range report on Rick's work. He did my p30sk, full package plus nickel plating.

My wait time was also a bit longer but he is always super responsive. He had an exceptionally crazy summer I think, he told me his lead times would come back down in a month or so.

I used it in my 2nd uspsa match and it just felt amazing. Tomorrow I'm going to the range and plan on doing a report after.

The p30sk now makes my p30 feel awful. So, that one is going in next.

I'm a bit of a newbie but I just purchased a USP expert and I think my p30sk trigger feel pretty damn comparable.

I plan on sending all my HK work to him. He does amazing work and he is "good people" which makes it even better doing business with him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts