HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to site. Border Patrol and Phenix City, Al do. What other LEA carry HK?

I’m sure it’s been discussed before.

·
Registered
23 Posts
At the moment I only have a P30SK 9mm that I carry for off duty. Haven’t decided yet to qualify with it for on duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maine State Police issued HK at one time and possibly still do. Department of Homeland Security issues some HK pistols. I carried one personally for several years. Many individual officers purchase them, but because of their cost relatively few agencies make them standard issue.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Maine State Police issued HK at one time and possibly still do. Department of Homeland Security issues some HK pistols. I carried one personally for several years. Many individual officers purchase them, but because of their cost relatively few agencies make them standard issue.
What is hilarious to me is they would actually save money by going with H&K pistols, due to the extreme service life they could literally use them for decades. The ammunition they train with is for sure going to be the biggest expenditure, the cost of pistols is trivial comparatively I would imagine.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
At the moment I only have a P30SK 9mm that I carry for off duty. Haven’t decided yet to qualify with it for on duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s my authorized off duty weapon as well. I don't have the option to carry it on duty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What is hilarious to me is they would actually save money by going with H&K pistols, due to the extreme service life they could literally use them for decades. The ammunition they train with is for sure going to be the biggest expenditure, the cost of pistols is trivial comparatively I would imagine.
Since many agencies only qualify once a year and most officers don’t fire more than 100 rounds annually, they actually do not save money buying HK. A Glock will hold up perfectly well, as will most pistols subjected to this kind of service. Consequently, a cheaper gun will serve quite satisfactorily.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
HK45, HK45C, and P30SKs. As well as 416 for my patrol rifle (and an SP5K for very limited occasions).

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Since many agencies only qualify once a year and most officers don’t fire more than 100 rounds annually, they actually do not save money buying HK. A Glock will hold up perfectly well, as will most pistols subjected to this kind of service. Consequently, a cheaper gun will serve quite satisfactorily.
As a firearms/DT instructor and use of force instructor, this makes me cringe. I know there are lots of agencies like this, I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around this type of firearms qualification regiment. We shoot a minimum of 4 times a year, both flat range quals & Con-Sim/tactical shooting, and I feel we are at the bare minimum; for the work we do. Most cops are not "gun-people" by nature; there is a lot more to cop work than just being a pistolero; but that does not mean agencies should lower their firearms standards to ridiculous levels like shooting once a year.

As for the "cheaper gun will serve......," I assume you are not an armorer who has to service agency guns? I will say Glocks, in general, will hold up comparatively to HK's; depending on which model of Glock you are using. Cops will screw up guns, that is all there is too it. That in combination with manufactures using cheap parts (springs come to mind) cause armorers to spend countless hours servicing guns. Certainly guns with long life cycles will require maintenance, that's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about guys doing their own "garage armorer" work on their duty guns, and manufactures/guns that go out of service at low round counts due to poor parts/components. In the firearm world, in general, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, there is no way around it. There will always be some limited exceptions, but those are rare. I don't want myself, or my co-workers facing what could be the last moments of their life with a bargain-bin firearm. Just look at the news/Police-One, everyday cops are getting into shootings, their gun has to work. skills (ie. once a year shooting BS), that is on them; if their agency doesn't provide training, I encourage them to seek training on their own, but don't bring a sub-par gun to a gunfight.

I'll climb down off my soap box now..... been a while since I've gone off on this rant.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
As a firearms/DT instructor and use of force instructor, this makes me cringe. I know there are lots of agencies like this, I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around this type of firearms qualification regiment. We shoot a minimum of 4 times a year, both flat range quals & Con-Sim/tactical shooting, and I feel we are at the bare minimum; for the work we do. Most cops are not "gun-people" by nature; there is a lot more to cop work than just being a pistolero; but that does not mean agencies should lower their firearms standards to ridiculous levels like shooting once a year.

As for the "cheaper gun will serve......," I assume you are not an armorer who has to service agency guns? I will say Glocks, in general, will hold up comparatively to HK's; depending on which model of Glock you are using. Cops will screw up guns, that is all there is too it. That in combination with manufactures using cheap parts (springs come to mind) cause armorers to spend countless hours servicing guns. Certainly guns with long life cycles will require maintenance, that's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about guys doing their own "garage armorer" work on their duty guns, and manufactures/guns that go out of service at low round counts due to poor parts/components. In the firearm world, in general, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, there is no way around it. There will always be some limited exceptions, but those are rare. I don't want myself, or my co-workers facing what could be the last moments of their life with a bargain-bin firearm. Just look at the news/Police-One, everyday cops are getting into shootings, their gun has to work. skills (ie. once a year shooting BS), that is on them; if their agency doesn't provide training, I encourage them to seek training on their own, but don't bring a sub-par gun to a gunfight.

I'll climb down off my soap box now..... been a while since I've gone off on this rant.....
I understand your concern. It makes me cringe as well. Our firearms staff has campaigned for years to get more frequent training and qualification requirements. That effort continues. There are officers who are interested enough to train on their own and those who are not. In my area, the latter make up the majority. I don’t make the rules, but I have to work with them.
I like HK pistols and have carried one model or another for years. I have also owned and carried Glocks (not to mention many others.) The Glock is not my favorite; but I do not consider it a substandard weapon. It’s service record speaks for itself. Yes; cops who tinker with their guns can screw up anything. There is the world as we wish it was, and the world as it is. Your points are well taken.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Another father of a boy in Scouts with my son who worked Customs (ship insections, etc.) for ships coming into Philadelphia area was carrying an HK pistol. At this point do not recall the specific model.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I understand your concern. It makes me cringe as well. Our firearms staff has campaigned for years to get more frequent training and qualification requirements. That effort continues. There are officers who are interested enough to train on their own and those who are not. In my area, the latter make up the majority. I don’t make the rules, but I have to work with them.
I like HK pistols and have carried one model or another for years. I have also owned and carried Glocks (not to mention many others.) The Glock is not my favorite; but I do not consider it a substandard weapon. It’s service record speaks for itself. Yes; cops who tinker with their guns can screw up anything. There is the world as we wish it was, and the world as it is. Your points are well taken.

I didn’t mean to imply Glock is sub-par, glocks are generally on par with HK, and other top end off the shelf combat pistols. I got wrapped up in the training and tinkering thought line. Admittedly, Glock is not my first choice, but it is my second (Glock 19), specifically their 9mm & .45acp guns.

I encourage you to keep the pressure on your admin to get more dept range time.

Stay safe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts