HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, HK has been left in the dust. S&W has introduced the new M&P Shield single stack. It is selling out. If you want one, get in line.

Point is these CCW guns are selling like hot cakes. I cannot believe that HK will not build something that the public wants & is buying like there is no tomorrow!

·
Registered
866 Posts
I agree with the point of Hk failing or flat out refusing to build what US citizens desire in CCW/price but on the other hand I wouldn't want them to compromise the gun just to lower the price. Hk guns are expensive but, the quality is there. I am not a fan of any S&W especially the M&P which IMO is just plain ugly, however the market is there.
I do like the Ruger LC9 which I would like to buy someday.

·
Registered
628 Posts
They already make the HK45c, the P30, and the P2000 SK. Those are good CC options, are they not?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
None of those would be considered pocket pistols, micro, or single stack. That's what consumers are looking for. I had to go Kel-Tec to get my fix for that, but sold it.

Get on this, HK.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
HK doesn't typically cater to the civilian market. Their bread and butter is major law enforcement and military contracts.

Not too long ago, .380's were the thing to rave about, now the fad has turned to single stack 9mm's. However, Glock notably hasn't made such an animal either. While I haven't shot/handled the new M&P, I have heard good things. I still do not think it will do anything the good old P7 can't. ;)

·
Banned
474 Posts
Consumers looking for something to lost or shoot some fingers off or die in gunfight...
True shooters using real pistols from H&K ;-). For me normal pistol full size is USP Expert with 5", P30LS is compact and P2000SK is subcompact.
And middle sized or micro sized pistols are unnecessary in my opinion. Smaller P30 is just shorter barrell and sight axis and worse balance and nothing to help concealed carry.
Handle is still big. G19 and other "compact" guns the same problem.
So I preffer to carry full size (compact for me) P30LS or USP or something like that or subcompact like P2000Sk or G26. Nothing in the middle.
And micro pistols are just toys for people who don't like guns and want to feel save (but it's just false feeling in most cases). That's my opinion.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Im sure your well aware of the Walther PPS. Single stack 9mm or .40 and mag release is right in line with our beloved HKs. I have one and love it! I also can pocket carry it in a desantis nemesis holster. Do I wish HK would make a slim single stack? Yes....thin is in, like the xds,pps,shield. Will they? No...(highly doubtful anyway)!

·
Registered
193 Posts
at my LGS and he hands me a Smith Shield " check this baby out....nice right?" my response........eh it's ok, wait another striker fired POS?....no thanks and I hand it back to him........sorry, but not for me..............it's cheap and it looks like it's cheap.....sorry just my $.02

·
Registered
120 Posts
at my LGS and he hands me a Smith Shield " check this baby out....nice right?" my response........eh it's ok, wait another striker fired POS?....no thanks and I hand it back to him........sorry, but not for me..............it's cheap and it looks like it's cheap.....sorry just my $.02
It's good to hear these different view points. I haven't had the chance to check out the Shield yet but I have been seeing a lot of talk about them. Good and mediocre but nothing overly bad yet. They seem to be selling fast right now and they are also selling for close to the MSRP (which is only $450). They will probably be cheap enough to get one just out of curiosity by the time the initial smoke clears. We'll see what happens and what pros/cons start to surface with more use.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
I don't use pistols that small so I have no need for one. I see the attraction, but really, not my thing. I like a combat handgun. So I buy HK's and Blocks. Many many more HK's than Blocks, but they are still in there.

Someone once told me something I will never for get, Tiny guns do tiny things. I only began to understand that recently. The G19, P2000, USPC, P30, and HK45c are the smallest pistols I will own.

And the shield is just another fad. Having a small barreled/sight radius gun just to have it is dumb. If it is a bug, then sure fine. But, Just to carry it because it is tiny, is stupid. I can understand females, but some of the females I have line coached for can shoot the M9 with their tiny frames/hands, so take what you will from that. Some girls like small guns because they are "cute." I would rather them have one than not, but the P2000, HK45c, and a bunch of other pistols out there are plenty thin enough for 95% of people. Without needing a pocket rocket.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Eh, OP does have a point. Some of us can't carry something so large as even the P2000 and SK. I'm 5'9" and 145 lbs. and conceal carrying anything bigger than a subgun will imprint. That's a felony in Texas. Not that I was willing to compromise too much for size, though. My CC:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Once again, HK has been left in the dust. S&W has introduced the new M&P Shield single stack. It is selling out. If you want one, get in line.

Point is these CCW guns are selling like hot cakes. I cannot believe that HK will not build something that the public wants & is buying like there is no tomorrow!
I had to read that twice. You really did say that HK was left in the dust by an M&P. I had an M&P compact and sold it as fast as I could. FTF and FTE out of the box. It maybe small but whats the point of a gun that wont shoot for &*[email protected]

·
Registered
866 Posts
I personally have no problem concealing a Hk45C, which is what I carried off duty up until last year when my employment changed. I am back now with only (1) Hk which is my few month old Hk45CT. It was $1200.00 and I do not want to carry it yet. So I have to go lower in price since it is on layaway. I selected the CZ P-07 Duty 9mm w/ threaded barrel (tactical version). It is costing me $479 brand new.
I really wish I had more Hks, I would love to carry the Hk45C again. Well maybe in time.

I still think M&P pistols are ugly.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
Eh, OP does have a point. Some of us can't carry something so large as even the P2000 and SK. I'm 5'9" and 145 lbs. and conceal carrying anything bigger than a subgun will imprint. That's a felony in Texas. Not that I was willing to compromise too much for size, though. My CC:

Not beating up on you, or anything. Please don't take it that way.

I feel like you may just need the correct holster combo/dressing lesson for Concealed carry. You are an inch taller than me, but I have 30-35 pounds on you. My waist is a 32" also. You can probably conceal a 5" 1911 if you wanted to. I used to carry my USP 45 all day long.

I mean, it is up to you, if you feel comfortable carrying a .380acp pistol....All the power to you. But there are way better options IMO, even if you are slim. It is all about the holster and how you wear the pistol.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I stay as athletic as I can so I have distinct a V-shape to my torso. I don't wear super baggy clothes which are the only things that will fit if I were to conceal carry something as large as a full-size or compact pistol. It just looks sloppy. That extra 30-35 lbs and 2"-3" on the waist for you makes a big difference in clothing styles for conceal options. The .380 might be looked down upon but ballistics back up the fact that it's still an excellent round with plenty of bite at short ranges. It's not ideal but I don't need anything larger from 5-10 feet away, either.

Although you are right that I need a better holster. I hate the crappy one I have now and am going to spring for the Sig factory wallet holster in the near future.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Are you stating that even "printing" while conceal carrying in the state of Texas is a felony? Because it most certainly is not.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
It depends on how the LE officer and a judge interprets it. If you print, the gun can be considered as no longer concealed since observers will now know that you have a handgun. I'm not putting myself at risk over vague wording and interpretation. Better to be safe than in handcuffs.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I saw a Shield, and held it, meh. Felt like a cheap toy. Suppossedly the trigger in it is better than the trigger in the full size M&P's (which sucks by the way) It is a very NARROW pistol, sure, and it is small, but give me a P2000SK in 9mm and I could care less about single stack guns.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Everytime a company comes out with a new single-stack, I ask myself one question. Would I trade my P7 for this?

The answer is ALWAYS no. I know that people have become interested in 13oz pistols for CC, but if you are uncomfortable carrying 30oz of west German precision in defense of your own life, you should probably never leave the house.

My P7: a ratbag grade C that I bought 2 years ago. As ugly as I've ever seen.

Rounds through it: (factory 115 and 124gr) 2000+
Misfires: 0
FTF: 0
FTE: 0
Bullseyes: always in danger
Carry: everyday
30oz: a proper gun weight
HK hates me: not so far as I can tell
New model: couldn't care less

1 - 20 of 79 Posts