HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm a lefty and have decided to make the 9mm P30L my first handgun.

I noticed there are a few different variants, and I was hoping you all might have some advice about which variant might be the best way to go.

Here are the choices:
M730902L-A5…P30L 9 mm, Long Slide (V2) LEM enhanced DAO, with two 15 round magazines…$1,108.00
M730903L-A5…P30L 9 mm, Long Slide (V3) DA/SA, ambidextrous decocking button, with two 15round magazines (NO EXTERNAL SAFETY) …$1,108.00
M730901L-A5…P30LS 9 mm, Long Slide (V3) DA/SA, with safety and ambidextrous decocking button, with two 15 round magazines…$1,108.00
M730902LS-A5…P30LS 9 mm, Long Slide (V1) "light" LEM, with safety and two 15 round magazines…$1,108.00

The guy at the gun store recommended the DA/SA with ambidextrous decocking button and no external safety.

I had been leaning towards the DA/SA with the safety and ambidextrous decocking button. I thought I read somewhere that you can buy a part that changes the safety to the right side of the gun. Then again, that might have been creative thinking.

Anyway, any advice you have would be welcome. Thanks for your time!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I'm a lefty and an LEM guy (why make it any harder than it needs to be?). Get the M730902L-A5 (if you can find one).

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
What you've been reading and told about ambi decocker is wrong. There is no ambi decocker on a P30 series. There is a single decocker, however, and it's on the rear of the slide, not ambi. If you want a safety on a P30L, get a P30LS and it has ambi safety levers so there is no need to move it from left to sight side. The levers are on both sides.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So, just to confirm, you guys are both advocating for this one?

M730902LS-A5…P30LS 9 mm, Long Slide (V1) "light" LEM, with safety and two 15 round magazines…$1,108.00

and this one comes with a safety that is ambi?

Or do you both think there isn't much of a need for a safety and that I should get this one instead?

M730902L-A5…P30L 9 mm, Long Slide (V2) LEM enhanced DAO, with two 15 round magazines…$1,108.00

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
LEM is not for everyone. I'd suggest you find one and shoot it before buying. You can go from DA/SA to LEM, but you can't go from LEM to DA/SA. So if you buy a LEM and hate it, you'll just have to sell it and get a DA/SA. But if you buy a DA/SA and don't like it, get a LEM kit to convert it to LEM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

So you think this is the way to go, and I convert to LEM if I so choose?

M730901L-A5…P30LS 9 mm, Long Slide (V3) DA/SA, with safety and ambidextrous decocking button, with two 15 round magazines…$1,108.00

Is the safety on both sides on this model?

·
Registered
324 Posts
First off there are way better prices out there, I'm in the market right now for a P30L myself, they can be had around $950 or even $800 on a good deal. A P30L V3 is the "standard" from what I've seen (SA/DA no safety). The S versions have the safeties.

All around it's ambidextrous, the slide release, mag release and even safety if you have one are on both sides. The decocker is on the back of the gun, only difference it will make is it will be 1/2" closer to your hand than for a right handed shooter.

The trigger is something of personal preference, but the LEM trigger (V1 and V2) is well worth looking into, especially for CCW. It's a bit hard to explain but it's having a constant trigger, the first shot is the same as the 12th, the hammer moves on the trigger pull, the trigger has initial slack to take up and feels more like a SA trigger. The slack is helpful in CCW as it adds safety, the constant trigger is helpful because it's always the same, and the whole package is ideal because it's safe with the hammer forward with no safety to have to take off and yet very quick. The hammer is more flush and many people holster it with there thumb on the back of the hammer making it impossible for the hammer to strike even if something caught the trigger and pulled it.

The V2 is about 7-8lbs, the V1 is about 4-5. Most like the V1 better, and many combinations can be had from spring swapping (very easy). With the P30 you cannot go from a V3 to an LEM trigger and stay under warranty.

I found for my fit a P30L V1 was best, many many people also love that set up choice.

·
Registered
594 Posts
All P30S and P30LS comes with ambi safeties (slide releases and mag releases, too); it's the USP and HK45 series that come with single-sided safeties (although they can be retrofitted with ambi safeties, too, or just have the side switched), while the normal P30 and P30L do not come with any safety. I would consider the decocking button to be ambidextrous, since it's pretty easy to manipulate with either hand, even if it isn't a symmetrical design. A V3 P30S/P30LS allows you to run it both as a DA/SA with a safety, or C&L; the fact that the button is used to decock fixes the possible issue of decocking on accident while shooting like what people complain about on V1 HK45s and USPs, which uses the same control lever for both the safety and the decocker. Most people would argue that there is little reason to get a gun with both a safety and an LEM trigger, although that's certainly simply personally preference in the end. If you plan on strictly running the gun DA/SA, there is also little reason to get a safety, and some have found the safety to be poorly designed.

While they're OOS right now, you can see the typical prices for P30s here (or at least before the big scare): http://crosscreekguns.com/P30.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, 9mm Steve! Is the safety on both sides of your V1?

And where did you find those deals? I went to a gun store and those descriptions and prices are cut and pasted from the H&K website (Heckler & Koch - USA) I would love to get it for under 1k...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Don't have mine yet, was looking to actually buy today but moving is probably going to get in the way of that, lol.

Safeties are only on the S versions, P30S or P30LS. Do note that the variations for a USP are different that the P-series. A V1 for a USP is actually more like a P30LS V3.

Best prices, well sometimes it's playing a bit of hardball, but I enjoy the search. On here is a good place to start. Also try Gunbroker.com (it's an auction site, not all sellers are dealers), gunsamerica.com, knesekguns.com (though I've never used them), Home page - SGCUSA, Cross Creek Guns and I'm sure a few others people will mention. The hard part is finding exactly what you want in stock, not much is in stock anywhere at the moment.

I would consider $950 to an FFL to be a good deal, but you could have it for less if you shop around. For example: HK P30L 9mm 15 Rd Mags Heinie Sights Holster P-30L : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
If his reserve is $800 and no one else bids you'll get one at $800+ $70 SH (dealers ship for less, but individuals often have better prices)

That's not a Safety version if you want one though. It's well worth waiting a little bit to find exactly what you want. I understand the desire for a safety, my USP has one and the SA/DA trigger, but I'm in the process of switching to LEM and no safety. It's all preference though. I just think the LEM trigger is worth learning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, since I don't have much experience with a SA/DA, I am pretty comfortable committing to (and learning on) a LEM gun.

Why do you think the safety is not necessary? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I am just still learning...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Unless they have the "S" in the name of it, it's not going to have a safety just like if there is no "L" it won't have the longer barrel and slide.

Most people that use LEM are using it for Carry. It's in a holster with the trigger covered. The design of the LEM system from what I recall is built to be safe and not need an external safety. Not having a safety to flick off is appealing when carrying because it's one less thing to have to remember to do, CCW is all about keeping it simple in my opinion. A manual safety is no replacement for proper trigger control, however if you're more comfortable with one then you should have one. I highly suggest training from someone well experienced if you're new to shooting, there are a lot of little habits that are much easier learned from the start than having to break bad habits later on. It's like riding a motorcycle, sure you can learn how to do it yourself but it's so much easier and safer to be shown how exactly by someone who is very experienced with it. It's not the obvious stuff, it's the little things that only seem clear once pointed out.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
You safety is your trigger finger. I personally wouldn't own a gun with a manual safety with two exceptions 1) a single action only gun 2) if I worked for an agency that required a manual safety

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a NIB P30S LS in 9MM (Stock# M730903LS-A5) if you decide not to go LEM. Send me a PM if you're interested. My price is way better than you've been quoted.

Matt

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I've always been a Da/Sa guy but after shooting light LEM I'm rethinking it. I think I could learn to love it. It's simple.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My P30LS's are both V1 (light LEM). I do not carry these pistols, but would have no real issue doing so, as it would be a very similar manual of arms as my DW 1911, which I do carry, and often.

When I don't need the incredible slimness that is a 1911, I carry a LEM equipped 45c, or a LEM P2kSk.

There are advantages in the safety lever. It all depends on your purposes. My wife is very comfortable with a safety on our primary HD pistol. Me too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts