HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the LE marked hi-cap mags legal for us to purchase and own in NY State? Looking to pick up some extra mags for my Elite and MK23 and wondering if I should even bother trying to get hi-caps and a Jet-Funnel (for the Elite).

Also, anyone know if the 10 rounders for the Elite are just standard USP Fullsize mags?

TIA !

·
Registered
60 Posts
No.

"Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,
drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September
thirteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four, that has a capacity of, or
that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten
rounds of ammunition.

Unless you fall under an exemption (such as you are a LEO), then possession of such a device is a Class D felony, 265.02 - Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Also, anyone know if the 10 rounders for the Elite are just standard USP Fullsize mags?
Javic, I think all the full size guns use the same standard mags across the board (ie: USPf 9, Expert 9, and Elite 9 would use the same full size mag)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both. I had pretty much figured that the LE's were illegal, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask just in case. Not that I need hi-caps for anything but saving me reload time at the range ;)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

TIA !
Yes the Elite,Expert, and USP all use the same mags.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
The only exception is if they're pre-ban for NY State only. Although the law is a bit sketchy on this as the burden of proof is on the owner (guilty until you can prove yourself innocent), so make sure you have some documentation to prove that it's preban. In NYC preban or not, it's still illegal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The only exception is if they're pre-ban for NY State only. Although the law is a bit sketchy on this as the burden of proof is on the owner (guilty until you can prove yourself innocent), so make sure you have some documentation to prove that it's preban. In NYC preban or not, it's still illegal.

I'm not aware of any language in the NYC Administrative Code that makes NYC more restrictive than NYS law on the subject of preban high capacity pistol magazines. There is language that is more restrictive concerning 5 round rifle capacity (as opposed to the 10 round NYS restriction), but I haven't seen any such language (or a referral to 09/13/1994) relative to pistol magazines.

My reading on pistol magazine capacity is that NYC and NYS laws are the same.

In practical terms, I would not want to bring upon the headache of trying to convince the NYPD that my magazines were pre-ban just so that I could have a couple of extra rounds. Nor would I like to open myself up to felony charges for those extra couple of rounds.

·
Registered
221 Posts
you can own pre-ban high caps in NYS. I don't touch NYC laws. ffl's, local, and state PD's have all confirmed this to me.

i would recommend you double check before you purchase yourself however.

the bad news, there is no such thing as pre-ban high caps for the USP series.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'll just buy as many 10 rounders as I want. Readily available and cheaper than hi-caps. The cost for 1 hi-cap USP 9 mag can get you 2 ten rounders and no hassles or worries. Javic, we should try to get together again.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah, I'm not into risking it with any of the laws, especially since I really have no need to. I was just about to put in an order for a few of the 10 rounders on CDNN and figured I'd at least ask about the LE hi-caps before I submitted my order.

Ironchef, I'm up for getting together pretty much any weekend. I'm going to be in Chicago this coming week, but the weekend of the 19th I'm good.

I'll be in the city on the 26th (seeing DJ Shadow play), but obviously won't have my gear with me.

Lets just pick a weekend and a range. I don't mind driving for a shoot ;)

If there are at least a couple of other people interested in another get together, I'd be happy to coordinate it again. Just let me know and I can start another thread like last time. Otherwise we can just coordinate between ourselves. Don doesn't have a choice though, he's got to come because he's leaving us :(

Edit: Actually, I might not have all my new toys by the 19th, so it might be better to do it in Feb, as I'd like to have the Elite, M8, and S&W 41 when we meet up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
the 19th won't work. i'm on a last minute trip. i won't get home until around 10pm that day. sorry.

i'll check my calendar and put up some options for you guys. this is really nice of you guys. i appreciate it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Don,

I wouldn't mind shooting outdoors even in the cold. Not sure how the other fellas feel about it. We have to see you before you move on to better pastures and I feel we need to make it up to you for last time.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Provided its not -10 degrees out, I wouldn't mind hittin' some steel. Don't want to be so cold that you can't keep your sights aligned lol

I would have to pick up a pair of shooting gloves though.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm up for wherever. Yonkers would definitely be closer for everyone than where we went last time. Plus it'd be nice to cruise through the old 'hood again ;)

·
Registered
851 Posts
The Coyne Park Range looks pretty good. It the other guys from NYC jump in on this, then I'll have a ride. If not, it looks readily accessible by public transportation. Fees don't look terrible either.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd offer to swing into the city to pick you up, but that would mean my coming into Manhattan with my guns, which would be illegal :(

Worst case I could always pick you up at a train/bus station if you can make it out of the city.

·
Registered
851 Posts
This is according to Coyne's website:

Public Transit from NYC:
We receive numerous calls asking how to get to our range from NYC using public transportation. The Coyne Park Range in Yonkers is just a 'stone's throw' away from the northernmost border with the Bronx.

Using the Lexington Avenue Subway Line take the No. 4 train north (Bronx-bound) to the end of the line, which is the Woodlawn/Jerome Ave Station. Or, using the 6th Avenue Subway Line take the 'B' or 'D' train north (Bronx-bound) to the Bedford Park Boulevard/Grand Concourse Station.

At either of the above locations take the #4, #20, or #21 Bee-Line Bus northbound to McLean Avenue in Yonkers. (The bus stop at Bedford Park Boulevard is at the intersection with Jerome Avenue.) Please note that it is a short ride to McLean Avenue so be sure not to miss your stop. When you exit the bus you will be at McLean Avenue and Central Park Avenue. Walk eastbound a very short distance on McLean Avenue and you will reach the range, which is directly across the street from Cumberland Drive. (When you exit the bus do not cross over Central Park Avenue or you will be heading westbound.)
If this is correct, you think we'd be okay if you picked me up by the Bronx subway stop or are we pushing our luck?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I won't tell anyone if you don't ;)

I'm sure it will be fine. I never caught the subway from there before myself, but I'm sure with a quick google I can find it. Worst case scenario, I could just claim ignorance and say I thought I was still in Westchester. It's a very fine line between the Bronx and South Yonkers.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I Google mapped the train stop and it appears to be very very close to the range. Roughly 15-20 blocks. I think that would be best, but lets see if the other City boys jump on board for a get together. Then we'll pick out a date. There's a three day weekend coming up in January that might be ideal. There's also a three day weekend in mid-February as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts