HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello HKers,

I bought a LEM kit to convert my USPc40 to light LEM. I watched the videos, read the various instructions found on this website but I'm having problems completing the conversion.

I seem to have the hammer axle install section (spring, hammer assembly) correct but when trying to put the complete sear,disconnect, and catch together there doesn't seem to be enough room or I can't get them aligned properly. Any suggestions other than whats in the videos/instructions would be greatly appreciated! Normally I feel much more competent when working with firearms..... Thanks.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Photos?

When following the vids, it just all went together for me as long as I aligned the holes

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the quick response. Here's some pictures. I've tried inserting pieces like the videos say and the HKparts website says. I'm thinking a problem with the hammer assembly or possibly the hammer strut? Looks easy from the info I've found but I'm still stumped. Here's some pictures with the dis connecter,sear, and catch "lined up" (maybe). Or maybe I bent the flat springs some, which might affect positioning...

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
What is the date code? It looks like and old style catch.

·
Registered
596 Posts
What's the problem? This all looks fine as far as I can see...
Are you having problems with the sear installation or ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
It can be difficult to describe these procedures without being able to physically show them, but I will give it a shot in hopes that it will help you get it back together.

In the photos you provided it appears that you have installed the disconnector, control latch, and safety catch, but have not yet installed the sear. If this is the case, the parts have been installed in the wrong order. Pull the sear assembly pin and remove those parts. Then, assure that you have the LEM hammer assembly and spring installed correctly. Basically, you just want to see the hammer, cocking piece, and spring all retained by the hammer axle. It sounds like you already had those parts installed, so moving on... First, the LEM spring must be compressed between the hammer and the sear, and retained by the hammer axle. So, using a small probing tool, reach down and pivot the LEM spring on the axle until the top leg on the spring hits the front facing portion hammer. Then, use the tool to grab the other leg (which is going to be down towards the bottom of the front face of the hammer at this point) and compress the spring so that the leg that is resting on the hammer is touching the other leg (both LEM spring legs are touching). This fully compresses the spring and gives you room to slide the sear down between the LEM spring leg and the sear spring.

While holding the LEM spring compressed against the hammer, use your other hand to install the sear (It can be hard to support the gun while holding the spring back and installing the sear. I just stand the pistol up on it's mag port and use the downward pressure already there to hold it, but you can do whatever works for you). The roll pin on the sear should be pointed to the right side of the pistol (the roll pin engages with the other parts in the sear assembly, this is why it must go in first). Once the sear is pushed down into place and it appears that when you release the spring it will rest against the sear, then you can release the LEM spring. Then, use a punch or probing tool to make small adjustments to the sears location to align it with the sear pin hole in the frame, and get the sear pin retaining the sear. Then grab the control latch and catch and put them together as they sit in the gun. Insert these two parts together, and use a punch to align the sear pin holes before sliding the pin in more to capture them. Finally, install the disconnector, sliding it down into place and again using a punch to align the pin hole. I hope this helps, -Rick

·
Registered
29 Posts
What is the date code? It looks like and old style catch.
That is the old style catch. The location of the safety intercept is different between the old style and the new style.

I cant quite tell from the photos, but if you have the old combined style catch like this: HK USP Old Style Catch - HKPARTS.NET

...then you need to get this new style control latch to work with the LEM hammer HK USP Control Latch - HKPARTS.NET

...and this catch: HK LEM | catch - HKPARTS.NET

If you already have the new style control latch, but have this style catch: HK USP Compact Catch - HKPARTS.NET

...then you just need the new style catch linked above.

This is due to the location of the safety intercept on the LEM hammer vs the old hammer as seen in this pic:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I appreciate the quick response. Here's some pictures. I've tried inserting pieces like the videos say and the HKparts website says. I'm thinking a problem with the hammer assembly or possibly the hammer strut? Looks easy from the info I've found but I'm still stumped. Here's some pictures with the dis connecter,sear, and catch "lined up" (maybe). Or maybe I bent the flat springs some, which might affect positioning...

You mention that this photo shows the sear lined up in the sear assembly, but I am not seeing it.... I can barely make out the sear spring down there in the dark, but I cant tell if it has been bent or not...the sear itself should sit in-between the sear spring and the hammer, with the left leg of the spring pressing on the back of the sear and the right leg pressing on the back of the catch (pushing both into the hammer)....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the gun is a AA, 2000, date code but the gun was used so who knows what parts were put in it. The latch is definitely the old style, much shorter on the top. SO I bought both a new style control latch and a new catch. Thank you very much for the help. Was going pretty crazy trying to get it to work.

·
Registered
18,643 Posts
The pre-2005 USP compacts will have the older-style short catch. 2005+ models with have the new-style, longer catch.
Even if you have the old-style, shorter catch, you should still be able to line up the sear parts and insert the sear axle completely. However, when you pull the trigger, the hammer will not drop all the way. It will drop 3/4 of the way and stop.

If you cannot align the sear parts correctly or if it seems that there isn't enough room, check the orientation of the cocking piece. If the cocking piece is installed incorrectly, you won't be able to insert the sear axle all the way through. It will stop about 3/4 of the way (eg: stuck at the disconnector).

This is how the cocking piece should be installed inside the hammer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts