HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lem=7-8lbs ( is this like a Kahr pull)
Light LEM=4-5 lbs ( is this like a Glock pull)

Light LEM , with such a light pull just afraid of a AD's

I favor DAO guns for some reason when I am CCW........

anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Ferris Bueller?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm not too experienced with the Kahr trigger but the light LEM is very different from the Glock pull IMO. Longer reset than the Glock but it's a nice consistent pull every time. If AD is a big concern a nice thing about the LEM system vs a striker fired set up is that it still has a hammer. You can put your thumb behind the hammer to eliminate the possibility of an AD when re-holstering regardless of light/heavy LEM variant (all other times you have to rely on the good old 4 gun safety rules). It provides a little more piece of mind for CC (again IMO).

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have the light LEM on my HK45C, HK45 and P30.
No issues with AD's on this end.
I like the LEM because of the short trigger reset, but it does take some getting used to.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Is the light LEM conversion legal in Califrnia? I know only V2-V3 are the official guns on the approved list here but is there any way for a police officer to know the conversion was done? Also will a gunsmith do this conversion from V2 to V1 in CA?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had both standard LEM and light Lem. I have also owned several Kahr's ( Pm9, PM45 ) and I can tell you that the light LEM is more fun to shoot than the standard.
Both LEM triggers are substantially different than the Kahr.
I have not had any AD's or malfunctions.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You can put your thumb behind the hammer to eliminate the possibility of an AD when re-holstering regardless of light/heavy LEM variant
Always, with any gun with a hammer. It is a good thing.

Also, there is no need to jam the gun back in the holster. Thumb on hammer, holster it smoothly and slowly, as you never know what could have found its' way into your holster....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lem=7-8lbs ( is this like a Kahr pull)
Light LEM=4-5 lbs ( is this like a Glock pull)

Light LEM , with such a light pull just afraid of a AD's

I favor DAO guns for some reason when I am CCW........
You don't have to choose either extreme--depending on which pistol you're looking for, there are one or two intermediate weight options available. With my P2000, for instance, I started with the standard V2 LEM (roughly eight pound pull weight) and changed out just the firing pin block spring. That's the V4 configuration, and it knocked about one pound off the trigger weight. Then I installed the lighter factory mainspring (hammer spring) and it knocked off about one more pound. I ended up with about a six pound trigger pull. That configuration doesn't have an official HK "V" number, but it's the perfect weight for me--not too light and not too heavy.

I would have done the same thing on my P2000SK, but I don't think HK makes a lighter mainspring for that model. So I just changed out the FPBS, making it lighter than V2 but not as light as V1.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is the light LEM conversion legal in Califrnia? I know only V2-V3 are the official guns on the approved list here but is there any way for a police officer to know the conversion was done? Also will a gunsmith do this conversion from V2 to V1 in CA?
I am not positive, but I think CA says you can't "purchase" a non list gun. Nothing prevents you from modification after purchase.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I favor hitting targets. Especially in an unexpected, self defense situation. And I especially hitting the target with the first shot.

DAO pistols with their typical 9+ pound trigger weights are great for not hitting targets on short notice. Granted you can spend hundreds of hours practicing but why bother? Standard LEM is no better. In fact it's sold as DAO.

Light LEM, on the other has a very controllable 5+ pound trigger so you can get a good shot and you shouldn't have a ND. Unless you pull the trigger it won't fire. Light triggers are more controllable for me.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a P30 V2 w/ LEM - how does one get the Light LEM? Sorry for noobie question - will immediately search after posting....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You don't have to choose either extreme--depending on which pistol you're looking for, there are one or two intermediate weight options available. With my P2000, for instance, I started with the standard V2 LEM (roughly eight pound pull weight) and changed out just the firing pin block spring. That's the V4 configuration, and it knocked about one pound off the trigger weight. Then I installed the lighter factory mainspring (hammer spring) and it knocked off about one more pound. I ended up with about a six pound trigger pull. That configuration doesn't have an official HK "V" number, but it's the perfect weight for me--not too light and not too heavy.

I would have done the same thing on my P2000SK, but I don't think HK makes a lighter mainspring for that model. So I just changed out the FPBS, making it lighter than V2 but not as light as V1.
really that sounds like what I need.....any directions.?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
i like my light lem on my 45c better than the stock one on my p30 ,

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
really that sounds like what I need.....any directions.?
That Variant DC7 is describing is known as the VTGS (Todd Green Special) and is what I have in my P2000. You change the Hammer Spring and the Firing Pin Block Spring leaving the Heavy Trigger Rebound Spring from the V2. The hammer spring is super simple to change, and the FPBS just requires knocking out the FPB roll pin, and pulling the FP out a little and the FPB will come out and the spring is right under it. Then just do it all in reverse. Make sure the FPB is in the same position it was in when you started before punching in the roll pin.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
DA/SA ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts

I have to agree with DC7. This spring combo has to be the best for CCW.

·
Registered
64 Posts
To the CA question, you can change the springs to get the LEM you want. From my experience, there are few gunsmiths that would be experienced in this, but you can do it yourself with a little time and patience. There are very good instructions on hk pro forum.
As for buying it in CA with light LEM, you need to buy it with regular LEM, since our distributors and LGS (or internet) don't get the light version. Then you do the reversible changes yourself, or send it to HK in GA to do it.
Doing it yourself let's you do a little or a lot and feel it at each change. It empowers you and puts you in control of the setup.
Search for (google) hkpro big bore LEM

1 - 20 of 26 Posts