HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry a HK P2000 with the LEM trigger. My understanding is that after you chamber a round, the hammer spring is basically cocked. So...my hammer spring stays cocked continually. This results in the lighter trigger pull if I understand the LEM trigger correctly. What are recommendations in reference to replacing this spring due to spring compression over time? Is it necessary? I believe mag springs should be replaced and feel like the same principle applies. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If I recall correctly, when ToddG did his infamous 91k round test of the P30 LEM, he replaced springs (at HK's direction) every 25,000 rounds.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with Fasutus, don't worry about this.
You're both missing the point. I don't "worry" about changing the oil in my car but I change it. I will probably never shoot it enough to change it, but time and compression affect springs. I'm simply asking if anyone out there thinks this is an item of maintenance. Either by time intervals or rounds.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I don't "worry" about changing the oil in my car but I change it. I will probably never shoot it enough to change it .
The number of rounds ( cycling the springs ) is what will eventually affect the life of the springs . I've got several LEM HK's with 10's of K's of rounds on the original springs . If you're looking to PM , replace after 25K rounds , it won't hurt or cost much at all . To me the LEM elbow spring is the weakest link in the chain simply because it's the smallest working in a hot & dirty area . Of course the way to tell immediately is if the flight of the cases changes . BTW , I completely dissassemble my pistols every 5K rounds for cleaning .

·
Registered
10 Posts
The number of rounds ( cycling the springs ) is what will eventually affect the life of the springs . I've got several LEM HK's with 10's of K's of rounds on the original springs . If you're looking to PM , replace after 25K rounds , it won't hurt or cost much at all . To me the LEM elbow spring is the weakest link in the chain simply because it's the smallest working in a hot & dirty area . Of course the way to tell immediately is if the flight of the cases changes . BTW , I completely dissassemble my pistols every 5K rounds for cleaning .
I have to second this statement. A spring remaining compressed constantly or remaining uncompressed constantly has very little affect on their life. The more often the spring compresses and un-compresses is what wears them out over time. I see hundreds of DHS agents at my job, the majority of whom carry P2000 LEM's, some carrying the same gun for years and have never "needed" to replace the hammer spring. Not saying it wouldn't need replacing some day. Springs are relatively cheap and easily replaced. If it makes you feel more comfortable knowing that the gun will function flawlessly if or when the day comes that you need it to then by all means replace it. $9-$10 to replace that spring is cheap preventative maintenance and peace of mind. I carried a P2000 LEM with DHS myself, re-qualing quarterly plus other firearms training and never had the hammer spring replaced.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks AZ Armorer. Retired state LEO myself. Guess you will be carrying that new Glock at work soon....if not already!

·
Registered
6 Posts
After installing my LEM Kit on my HK 45, I noticed what seemed like a lot more buildup around the firing pin, not as much the other internals. I also did a shorter reset spring replacement that really helped with the new hammer system. I've read that the firing pin is more likely to go first, but that is because most guys who run the lem kit use it for competition shooting.

·
Registered
127 Posts
A while back I purchased a new P2000 LEM that had been in the LGS for years. Since I figured it was probably cocked for most of that time I just changed the hammer spring, which is really simple to do. There was a lighter and heavy spring, so I went with the heavy spring since it stays compressed. HK does recommend dry-firing to decompress for storage.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
As mentioned, unless your hitting the 25K shots fired mark, I would not worry.
If your over that , or if you are genuinely worried, change whatever springs you would like to.
If it makes you feel more secure, change the springs.

Worst charge is shipping. Or if your good w small parts, do it yourself.
I won’t. Try, as I’m very much like Tim the toolman Taylor.
I’ve messed so much in my life.

Let us know what you decide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts