HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

If I install a LEM trigger as replacement to the Original Trigger on my USP9 Compact V1,
Can the Safety Lever be retained , as well as the Decocking mechanism.?
Basically, I want a LEM trigger while Retaining the Safety lever and Decocker Function on my USP9mm Compact Version1

Thank you.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think you can but the purpose of the LEM trigger is to have a single action like trigger without a safety.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Hhm, yeah. No. You definitely don't want that. IMHO.

The Safety *may* be retained, but not the Decocker. As @robertp said, the purpose (or benefit) of the LEM/CDA system is to have SA break on every shot, and the ABSENCE of any Safety Lever.

ETA:
The LEM basically decocks itself as you let off the Trigger (the external Hammer decocks to a long, light, DA pull, but the internal Cocking Piece remains cocked, for SA break).

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I have converted several Hk's to LEM from v1 DA/SA, and the benefits LEM without Safety lever are especially appreciated as a LH shooter, because of the generally RH design of the Safety being on the left side of the frame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the forum dino_12271! For your best answer, contact HK Customer Service. I recently sent an HK45 to HK for this type of conversion (LEM with safety). I was told the control lever would only be a safety, with no decock ability (which I preferred). I also asked about a USPC and was told USP and USPCs can also be converted to this variant of LEM. I have also read on this board that there was a LEM conversion with a decock ability, but I do not recall the model of HK pistol. Like anything else, there are advantages and disadvantages of something. I personally think a LEM trigger with a manual safety is a great "nightstand gun" and it also makes a lot of sense for a pistol carried in a cloth type holster that is built into a jacket, etc, or bag carry in a dedicated pistol pocket. My oldest son is getting his concealed carry license soon, and he personally prefers a manual safety but likes the consistency of LEM (and being able to holster with a thumb on the hammer and gun on safe). If a LEM with manual safety is what you want, don't let anyone talk you out of it. Just commit to training with it however you set it up so you are confident with it under the stress of defensive situation.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
If someone insists on a Safety, I do not understand why they would also want LEM. (And, a decocker).

That being said, the nice things about these Hk's is that we can have it however we want it, AND utilizing all OEM parts.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If someone insists on a Safety, I do not understand why they would also want LEM. (And, a decocker).
I am one of those that wants a manual safety on my LEMs. Whenever I carry, I carry with the safety off. The one reason I want the safety is for non-carry situations, i.e., during administrative handling -- removing the gun from the holster to put it away, handle around the range, etc.

The number one reason I hear against a safety is concern about accidental engagement. I acknowledge the potential. For me, I'm willing to accept the accidental engagement risk for the administrative handling security.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am one of those that wants a manual safety on my LEMs. Whenever I carry, I carry with the safety off. The one reason I want the safety is for non-carry situations, i.e., during administrative handling -- removing the gun from the holster to put it away, handle around the range, etc.

The number one reason I hear against a safety is concern about accidental engagement. I acknowledge the potential. For me, I'm willing to accept the accidental engagement risk for the administrative handling security.

Thank you for All the Responses.
At least now I know that it can be done.
I have a LEM trigger kit arriving but have yet to find a capable Guns smith.
Am new to the Flatform and am not inclined to tinkering with the pistol myself.
Am actually After retaining the Safety Lever function even after the LEM trigger install/ replacement.
Grew up with the 1911 flatform , and actually bought the USP9C due to similarities in the manual of arms.
Reliability wise ,I am all praises to Hk, Ive run a thousand rounds, so far No Failures.
Though Im not yet proficient with the trigger of the USP9.
Im assuming its because Im more accustomed to the SA trigger of our issue 1911 ,way back when I was still in the Military.
Thank you All again for all your replies.

GOD BLESS!

Dins

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Am actually After retaining the Safety Lever function even after the LEM trigger install/ replacement.
Grew up with the 1911 flatform , and actually bought the USP9C due to similarities in the manual of arms.
You are defeating the very purpose of the LEM. The long light take-up of the LEM is the safety mechanism, so there's no need for it.

IMHO, you're better off just keeping your DA/SA trigger and using the cock and lock feature with the safety.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You are defeating the very purpose of the LEM. The long light take-up of the LEM is the safety mechanism, so there's no need for it.

IMHO, you're better off just keeping your DA/SA trigger and using the cock and lock feature with the safety.
Yep, if you're a 1911 guy, just pop in a V9 detent plate. Cheaper and closer to your goals. Heck, you can do it with no additional tools. It takes 30 seconds.

·
Registered
248 Posts
^^^ I am thinking the same. If a manual safety is wanted but don’t like DA, why not just decock and lock and forget about LEM. Isn’t that correct?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
^^^ I am thinking the same. If a manual safety is wanted but don’t like DA, why not just decock and lock and forget about LEM. Isn’t that correct?
Yes, it is.

But, I think the OP wants the long light take-up of the LEM to replace the long hard DA pull.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Having also started out with a 1911A1, my first HK was v1.
I'd carry it Cocked and Locked on a chambered round, or
Decocked, Safety Off (chambered round).

Result is a short SA pull after disengaging the Safety, Condition 1, or
Long, DA pull (no disengaging Safety required). But, the Safety *could* inadvertently become engaged. Bad news in a SD situation. (Because I didn't want to have to thumb the Safety Off AND have a long, DA pull).
Alternately, the Safety *can* become disengaged in Condition 1. Also, very bad.
I had this happen in a holster that was not the best fit for the 1911. Removed the pistol from the holster (Bianchi M12) to find the Safety OFF on a cocked 1911, and I could replicate it. Initially I thought I had a brain fart and failed to engage the Safety before holstering.

Going to HK LEM solves those problems.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had that same experience with a CZ. The safety was too loose so at a particular angle the safety gets turned off when drawing out of a tight holster. Had the safety fixed and solved the problem. I’d say this is rarely a concern, especially for USP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi,
Good day .
I had my HK USPC9 converted to LEM and Retained the Manual Safety.
I now understand that the Manual Safety Lever on an LEM trigger pistol may be a Redundant safety feature but still happy with having the Lever on.
However , Since i had the LEM kit installed ,Actuation of the safety Lever to Safe position seems to require more Force than before.
Any idea How this could be? I had a Gunsmith install the kit.Could there have been an error on the install?
Putting the Safety lever issue aside , the Pistol operates normally.
Though I feel that somehow the trigger has a creep , or is that just because of the long initial pull, that you get to feel the Creep ,before the trigger stops and finally brakes?

Reset though with the LEM is satisfactory enough for a new shooter like me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've retained the "redundant" manual safety when I converted my USP fullsize and compact to the LEM trigger.
It's what I prefer with my pistols and works for me.
RE: being harder to engage the safety, there were a couple of times when the LEM trigger was first installed where it was hard to engage the safety. However, it went away over time/use and I haven't noticed any further issues in that regard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts