HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range today and they had a guy there who told me that since it is such a hot round that barrel life is only 5k rounds, is this true?

Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Wasn´t he just envious of Your gun? :D Look at classic 357Mag revolvers - often tens of thousands rounds and still going strong. I wouldn´t worry about it; IMHO it can take the very same beating as the 9mm.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Only 5K? ROFLMFAO!
Do NOT let the man who said this pick the stocks you should invest in!
What's next? Him looking down your barrel and saying, "See, no rifling left what so ever!"

·
Registered
229 Posts
My duty Sig 229 in .357 Sig has documented 32,000 + rounds through it with no accuracy or barrel problems.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I was at the range today and they had a guy there who told me that since it is such a hot round that barrel life is only 5k rounds, is this true?

Thanks in advance...
I would highly doubt HK would built any gun. That would wear down the barrel in 5000 rounds. What's next through away guns.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys....

Actually I have another HK coming in tuesday, an USP 9mm...

I've been bitten by the bug...

And you are all to blame...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll help further ease your mind...

Your typical law enforcement officer at a minimum has to qualify with his side-are 'at least' once per year. Some departments may go twice.

That's 300 - 500 rounds for the laziest guys, plus the 3 mags of last years duty rounds every year. Most good / active officers are going to add another 300 - 500 on their own, and since ammo and range time is free a good / average cop can easily fire 1000 rounds per year. The swat and club guys are going to probably shoot closer to 3000 or per year and a lot lot more for the really active shooters plus extra duty schools.

A recruit is going to go through well over 5000 rounds during the academy, and then carry the same weapon for his 20 - 25 years.

PD's get money twice per year - January tax dollars, and July tax dollas... new guns are added each year with very few if any replacements... now figure in the hand-me-down guns from retirees. All the tax money is going for patrol cars and computers.

Not to mention - I'm not just refering to HK's and Sig's - most are S&W's, Beretta's, Glocks, and other "cheaper" brands.

To make things worse... here's a big secret - not all cops are "gun people"
Some only un-holster their weapon for annual qualification... If you want to hear neglect stories ask a police armorer. We had a female officer put her revolver (I'm dating myself) in the dish washer.

Fancy Otis kits are a dream... ram that brush down the muzzle and yank it back and forth. No safe queens here.

5000 rounds is just not a lot for modern guns.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll help further ease your mind...

Your typical law enforcement officer at a minimum has to qualify with his side-are 'at least' once per year. Some departments may go twice.

That's 300 - 500 rounds for the laziest guys, plus the 3 mags of last years duty rounds every year. Most good / active officers are going to add another 300 - 500 on their own, and since ammo and range time is free a good / average cop can easily fire 1000 rounds per year. The swat and club guys are going to probably shoot closer to 3000 or per year and a lot lot more for the really active shooters plus extra duty schools.

A recruit is going to go through well over 5000 rounds during the academy, and then carry the same weapon for his 20 - 25 years.

PD's get money twice per year - January tax dollars, and July tax dollas... new guns are added each year with very few if any replacements... now figure in the hand-me-down guns from retirees. All the tax money is going for patrol cars and computers.

Not to mention - I'm not just refering to HK's and Sig's - most are S&W's, Beretta's, Glocks, and other "cheaper" brands.

To make things worse... here's a big secret - not all cops are "gun people"
Some only un-holster their weapon for annual qualification... If you want to hear neglect stories ask a police armorer. We had a female officer put her revolver (I'm dating myself) in the dish washer.

Fancy Otis kits are a dream... ram that brush down the muzzle and yank it back and forth. No safe queens here.

5000 rounds is just not a lot for modern guns.

Here is another question, do you guys think that the .357 Sig round is going away? I've heard from plenty of people that it just didn't catch on and it will become rare and hard to find ammo in the future. Where is the 357 Sig's future?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
5,341 Posts

Thanks in advance...
Oh please...what an idiot. Its not that hot, 9x23 are hotter and barrels last for 60k+ rounds easy, if not more. Your .357sig will outlast you most likely.

9x23 +P runs a 124gr at 1700fps - thats hot. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is another question, do you guys think that the .357 Sig round is going away? I've heard from plenty of people that it just didn't catch on and it will become rare and hard to find ammo in the future. Where is the 357 Sig's future?

Thanks in advance...
Don't worry about. I come from a military and fitness background, I was Cooper certified and believe in fit mind and fit body. Wellness.

Go to any inner city ER on a Friday or Saturday night and you'll see all the gang-bangers... shot and killed dead, most are killed with 22's , 25's, 380's, and nine's (I hate that term)... and shot from holding the gun sideways like on TV or from moving cars. Not only are the calibers usually smaller, they use crap and or old ammo. And the cheap guns they kill people with...

Contrast that to this...

I have a friend who has a room full of enough fine pistols and tax stamp guns to make anyone jealous. I hope he isn't reading this 'cause he'll know just who I am, but it's nothing I wouldn't tell him to his face. Any way he is out of shape, over worked, under paid, and over weight with adult onset Diabetes.

In a training drill similar to the Tuller Drill, I can't remember if it was the exact Tuller distance but I ran towards him while he reloaded and grabbed the wrist of his strong hand and held it tight - pointing the barrel towards the ground.
Now I couldn't be to forceful with this guy because he'd go out on comp, but in that little exchange he began to sweat profusely and breath very heavily... then his body gave up... he didn't have the fitness to over come my just holding his arm mildly wrestling... No karate man bs, just holding his arm like an untrained adversary would do. He was pooped.

His tax stamp room, gel test, and fancy +++++ ammo meant nothing. Not only was he too tired to wrestle, he forgot all of his weapon retention training . See Big Sign at Fort Bragg "FATIGUE MAKES COWARDS OF US ALL".

I like nice guns (that's why I'm here), I like nice bullets, but being "ready" in every aspect is more important than having your own gray room. Yes you should strive for having the best equipment to create the best odds in your favor. But for some people it's like throwing deck chairs of the titanic.

Masaad Ayoob was one of the reasons I got interested in HK's in the early 90s... He has some interesting articles that will keep you from worrying too much about your caliber and ammo... We all do it especially here for good healthy conversation, but don't let that dictate your every move. Get fit and get your mind right.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob62.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts