HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
dremel to the rails !!

I was so close to surgery myself , I had borrowed a dremel & was ready to take the plunge until & started clamping one of my compacts into a bench vice & noticed, opening the rails on the side wouldn't be a big issue BUT making a "catch" on the bottom for a light to lock into on a compact is a no go... the metal plate with the serial number is right in the way, so unless you wanted to remove it ( I'm not going that route ) there is no way.. :(

so I ordered the GG&G..

just my 2 cents..:56:

·
Registered
866 Posts
I personally like the GG&G mount. I have one on my USP45CT and with the M3, it works great!! Hey Bigbore, are the flat floorplates on your USP45C aftermarket? They look different.
I like the way they look. Please advise.

GPD45

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
As always, good post, Big Bore. Your posts are as boring as HK's guns. They're typically 100% reliable without overlooking anything.

IMO, Laser Devices is where it's at. The first generation BLAST units were made very specifically for very certain models. They didn't just make a picatinny light, they made a picatinny that would mold around the Glock trigger guard perfectly. Same for Sig 220 and 226. Same for Beretta. And they also made one specifically for the USP, even marked it with an HK to make weirdos like me feel all warm inside:

First, a link to my favorite picture that I refuse to resize:

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/hummer/Pictures/100_0596.JPG

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great thread. Thanks much to the OP for all the details. A couple of comments.

• If you want to do some cutting for Picatinny style rails these are the dimensions.

You should have 45° bevels in the cross section which I don't think the USP has, but it seems many mounts are sensitive to the .206" dimension in the first drawing but not so sensitive to having the exact 45° angles.
  • A nice video review of the high end Surefire X400 light/laser combo is here on youtube (parts 2 and 3 are available as well)

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I hate to state the obvious, but unless you really want to mount a laser on your gun, the Insight UTL M2 has been a great light for me over the years. Very bright, very reliable, and very user friendly. Most importantly: NO ADAPTERS and NO CUTTING!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Benderx4: Thanks so much for posting that - you made up my mind on part 1 of my upgrade plans for my USP 45. I have been kicking around the idea of fancy lights and mounts and the UTL just makes sense. I just want a light that I can keep on the nightstand and mount on the gun when I go to bed and take it off in the morning when I leave for work...Is this the only compatible option for the HK rails without modification of any kind? Thanks again. Now onto night sights....

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Is this the only compatible option for the HK rails without modification of any kind?
It's the only one that I'm aware of, but that's not saying much. My son and I have done drills at home (American Guardian TV), and this UTL light WILL blind you momentarily. The TLR-1 on my son's Beretta is blinding as well with a higher lumen output but I wonder if it's not overkill?

In other words, the fire from my cigar lighter will burn me good, but will the hotter fire from my Bunsen Burner burn me better? A 10MP camera takes a really good picture. Does a 12MP camera take a really, really good picture? A DD cup is nice, but is a EE cup better? At some point, I think the Law of Diminishing Returns applies to EVERYTHING, including gun lights. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's the only one that I'm aware of, but that's not saying much. My son and I have done drills at home (American Guardian TV), and this UTL light WILL blind you momentarily. The TLR-1 on my son's Beretta is blinding as well with a higher lumen output but I wonder if it's not overkill?

In other words, the fire from my cigar lighter will burn me good, but will the hotter fire from my Bunsen Burner burn me better? A 10MP camera takes a really good picture. Does a 12MP camera take a really, really good picture? A DD cup is nice, but is a EE cup better? At some point, I think the Law of Diminishing Returns applies to EVERYTHING, including gun lights. Just my 2 cents.
Absolutely spot on...I have a 50-lumen Brinkman light in the glove box of my Arctic Cat ATV that will shrink your eyeballs...The UTL just makes sense. I have no need for a laser on this gun and the UTL is made for it...Thanks again for snapping me back into reality...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I probably got a bad one, but my UTL took a dump after I fired through a few mags. It worked but the switch was very intermittent and unpredicatible, now it doesn't work at all. I cant remember for sure, but a thought there were a few problems this this reported years back? Might go with a TRL next. I do like the fit of the UTL and fits the lines nicely of the firearm.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I don't know why people always forget this, but the Laser Devices stuff fits directly to the HK rail if you buy accordingly.

IMO, it's better than the UTL.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't know why people always forget this, but the Laser Devices stuff fits directly to the HK rail if you buy accordingly.

IMO, it's better than the UTL.
Wow! I would hope that it is. That's a tall drink of water at nearly $400-bucks...It's not really the price that bothers me so much - (I'm a buy it once kind of guy). It just seems like a humongous hunk o electronics hanging off the gun. Maybe it's an optical illusion, but it looks pretty busy...Thanks for the heads up...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Wow! I would hope that it is. That's a tall drink of water at nearly $400-bucks...It's not really the price that bothers me so much - (I'm a buy it once kind of guy). It just seems like a humongous hunk o electronics hanging off the gun. Maybe it's an optical illusion, but it looks pretty busy...Thanks for the heads up...
Well, the Blast and Blast 2, both laser and light combinations, are around $400. You should be able to find a Las/Tac 2 light for ~$275 that is an LED. The incandescent ones will be less than that. But no rail required, and better activation, IMO.

The UTL is easier to put on and off quickly, and I recommend tightening the thumbscrew on the LDI stuff whenever you get the chance... but I still like it more after having both.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, the Blast and Blast 2, both laser and light combinations, are around $400. You should be able to find a Las/Tac 2 light for ~$275 that is an LED. The incandescent ones will be less than that. But no rail required, and better activation, IMO.

The UTL is easier to put on and off quickly, and I recommend tightening the thumbscrew on the LDI stuff whenever you get the chance... but I still like it more after having both.
Super - thanks so much for the advice. I did a search and all I came up with was the Laser/Light combo. I was just interested in the light and didn't know they even made one. I wonder if it's time to try a different search engine? Google, Ask, etc always seem to point to consumer websites and not company websites. All the LDI's that came up were the laser/light combo...
Looks like a nice unit and the price-point is within the UTL range. I'm not so worried about getting the light on/off quickly - I have a routine at night and just want to keep it on the nightstand and attach it before la-la land....Thanks again....

21 - 35 of 35 Posts