HKPRO Forums banner

Who should I get the trigger job done by?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'll ask you HK pros because the info here is priceless. Just purchased a V1 USPc 45 and I want the conversion to LEM done on it. I want to know what you guys think as far as the place to get this work done. It's between HK, Gray Guns, Bill Springfield, or myself. I'm not too fond of messing with something as important as a trigger but I'm not bad with tinkering either. Turnaround time is pretty important and the price isn't. HK told me 2 to 3 weeks but for some reason I have them as my number 1 choice because of peace of mind. With a $177 price tag I don't think I can complain about the price. The 3 week deal is the biggest kicker for me as far as hk. Please answer with one of the choices I listed and the reason if possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Save $100 and do it yourself! I have a couple of lem's from the factory and the two I did myself. I can't tell a bit of difference them at all. There are plenty of videos on this forum on how to do it and it's easy. Spend that hard earned money on ammo, mags, ect!

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
Save $100 and learn something. If it's just an LEM conversion and you are afraid, by all means - send it to the factory. As for competent gunsmiths, the only competent gunsmith for HK work would be Bruce Gray.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the turnaround time with Bruce?

·
Registered
526 Posts
PF Customs

If you are going to mail it to a gunsmith I would recommend contacting Phil Flack with (PF Customs) He is a local gunsmith. He is a certified HK Armorer. I have been doing business with him for years and he has done all the gunsmith work on my HK's and other handguns. I highly recommend him. He is a first class gunsmith and excellent to deal with. The other option would be doing a little research and installing it yourself.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If you played Legos as a kid and can follow those instructions then you're qualified to do the LEM conversion. Look at it this way: It doesn't cost any more to send a box full of parts in if it's something you start and can't finish than it does to send the pistol in without trying it for yourself. Take the chance, learn something and save yourself some ammo money.

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
HKPro has all the guidance and resources you need (check the reference section) to get this done yourself on the cheap and NO turnaround-time. It took about 35 minutes to do my first one and after about 15 or so conversions I can practically do them eyes-closed:)

I enjoyed doing all the DA/SA to LEM conversion and looked forward to doing more. Not only did I save time and money, but I also have a pretty detailed understanding of how the trigger works.

do it yourself, I don't think many have regretted it!

good luck!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
What's the turnaround time with Bruce?
According to the front page of his website, 12 weeks for routine work projects (sights, trigger/action jobs, the conversion would fall into this category).

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
According to the front page of his website, 12 weeks for routine work projects (sights, trigger/action jobs, the conversion would fall into this category).
Current wait for HK work @ GGI appears to be 5-weeks - my workorder just got into the queue and that's the lead-time quoted.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Cylinder and Slide in Fremont NE...only guys I trust...I am not a gunsmith and I do not attempt anything I am not comfortable with...just my $.02

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I was hesitant at first to do the LEM conversion myself until I realized I'm smarter than I look. It's a breeze, watch the video posted here on the forum and try it. Worst case scenario, you send it off and you've done nothing wrong other than realize you can't do the conversion yourself. :wink:

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you played Legos as a kid and can follow those instructions then you're qualified to do the LEM conversion. Look at it this way: It doesn't cost any more to send a box full of parts in if it's something you start and can't finish than it does to send the pistol in without trying it for yourself. Take the chance, learn something and save yourself some ammo money.
Best piece of advice today! ;)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Save $100 and learn something. If it's just an LEM conversion and you are afraid, by all means - send it to the factory. As for competent gunsmiths, the only competent gunsmith for HK work would be Bruce Gray.
This no doubt^^^^....

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have looked over the material here and I might do it. As someone mentioned it's good to learn something new. I trust myself and I've always been the hands on type and saving some cash for some ammo doesn't sound so bad. The biggest kicker for me is the turnaround time and 3-5 weeks is too long. Any tool kit recommendations that will make this conversion easier? I will get the lem kit from hkparts but I just don't have any tools in my apartment.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts