HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a box of hornady TAP went to chamber a round and now it's stuck... Slide won't budge.
I am not as familiar with handguns as with rifles and am worried about messing with it. I have only had it for about a week.

I have put about 300 rounds of federal ammo through it without a single issue...
But the first TAP gets stuck?

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Search Hornady TAP. Lots of past discussion on 230gr TAP rounds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had an issue chambering a Hornady Critical Defense round in my 45 USP compact as well . Round chambered but slide wouldn't slide back at all. I pulled really hard back and it extracted. Never again using that ammo.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just got a box of hornady TAP went to chamber a round and now it's stuck... Slide won't budge.
I am not as familiar with handguns as with rifles and am worried about messing with it. I have only had it for about a week.

I have put about 300 rounds of federal ammo through it without a single issue...
But the first TAP gets stuck?
If you have a flat rear sight, put it on a counter edge or some other surface and give the grip a good whack downward.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Happened to me once. I took gun outside and placed muzzle end on a railroad tie I had in my landscaping and pushed down hard ( with gun on safe ). Placed on the wood to not marr finish and in case of accidental discharge the bullet would have a safe place to enter besides my body!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Luckily I had the flat sights... Never again.
Is there any other ammo I should be aware of?
I would think one of the best guns ever made would be able to shoot most anything?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I would think one of the best guns ever made would be able to shoot most anything?
You'r gun can only shoot in spec ammo, period. It's not a quality of the gun issue, it's the ammo issue; out of spec ammo means just that.

Hornady makes some great components, but so many here have had issues with their loaded pistol ammo. There are so many other options than their loaded stuff, so search around and test fire anything you want to carry.

Also you can do a drop test by removing your barrel from the slide and dropping a round into the chamber to check the fit. If it won't drop in and out, it won't work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 0 doubts about HKs quality. Do you think I did any damage from trying to use this ammo? It was just the 1 time.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Just for future reference, and also for those other interested parties who may read this thread:

Racking a stuck slide using the rear sight to press against something stationary is acceptable if you just absolutely need to do it and get back into the fight as soon as possible. However, it is also a very good way to break or weaken your extractor. Better, if you have time, is to push forward on the slide and then press on the aft portion of the extractor to release the extractor claw from the rim of the stuck cartridge. Then lock the slide back, and tap the stuck round out with a wooden dowel inserted through the muzzle.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
+1 to orfeo. Press on the rear of the extractor and slide the slide back at the same time. FWIW i run hornady xtp 124gr in my p30 without issues

1 - 13 of 13 Posts