HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new to the MP5 platform and have a potentially dumb question... Is there a reason why you shouldn't load a fully loaded magazine in an MP5 while the bolt is closed (i.e. cruiser ready). I'd like to be able to throw my SP5K in the car with a loaded mag, bolt closed. Just want to make sure there is not a legitimate reason not to. All videos and manuals show loading it with bolt open and slapping the bolt closed. Don't get me wrong, thats bad a$$ as f**k!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hey all, I'm new to the MP5 platform and have a potentially dumb question... Is there a reason why you shouldn't load a fully loaded magazine in an MP5 while the bolt is closed (i.e. cruiser ready). I'd like to be able to throw my SP5K in the car with a loaded mag, bolt closed. Just want to make sure there is not a legitimate reason not to. All videos and manuals show loading it with bolt open and slapping the bolt closed. Don't get me wrong, thats bad a$$ as f**k!

Thanks!
No that is fine and should work with in-spec mags correctly loaded.

If you overload your mags to say 31 rounds it might be tough to push the magazine all the way in.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
As fine as the mag locks in, you'll be fine. The problem arises when a reload needs to be done under pressure, and it won't quite seat due to lack of slack in the mag spring - this is why all training states to execute the reload with the bolt in the rear position. Works 100%, every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, Thanks. I figured as much...you just never know though. All my mags are factory German HK.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I download mine by one round because otherwise I can't get the mags to seat when the bolt is closed.

But yes, typically my MP5K clone has a mag inserted on a closed bolt with empty chamber.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I always top the gun off every chance I get, very difficult to seat a fully loaded magazine on a closed bolt. Now I only load 28 per magazine.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts

Thanks!
Same reason you don't drive a car with the rpm in the red zone the whole time. Sure you may be able to do it a bit but it wasn't DESIGNED to run that way. As they say one good slap deserves another.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
If you are new to the MP5, I invite you to come to class.

See the Teufelshund Tactical page, get all your questions and more answered, best money you can spend on Firearms.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I download mine by one round because otherwise I can't get the mags to seat when the bolt is closed.

But yes, typically my MP5K clone has a mag inserted on a closed bolt with empty chamber.
Nice. Thats the way my ARs always are as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nice. Thats the way my ARs always are as well.
Same. If I have a rifle (or the MP5K clone) slung, then they'll have a round chambered. Otherwise empty chamber. They get moved around between bags and such too often for me to leave a round in the chamber.

Handguns on the other hand, I won't carry one of those without a round chambered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts