HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

Like a lot of you I'm not a gunsmith - even though I did work on the 20mm machine gun Phalanx system while I was in the USN. Also like a lot of you I prefer to do things myself if possible. I ordered the H&K Ultra Match springs set last week from HKParts.net and when they arrived yesterday I decided to install them myself (after I watched a YouTube vid on installing them and a couple of disassemble threads from here with lots of pictures.)

Moving on - I took the weapon apart yesterday, installed the two springs and reassembled it. While I was reassembling it the trigger bar spring came loose from the frame. (After a while of feeling fat-fingered it while trying to get it hooked back up, I just took it completely out and continued the reassembly.) Once done with the small stuff I put the slide back on it to see how the trigger felt. (Very good. I polished the disconnector while I had it apart and rid myself of the sudden hump that happens on a trigger pull.)
Problem 1) The trigger doesn't reset itself by going forward.
Problem 2) I went to take the slide off again so I could put the spring back on the trigger bar only to find that the slide would not come off.

That is where I'm stuck. I've tried getting hold of the recoil spring bar and seeing if I could make sure it was it the right place - no luck.
Tried turning it upside down (mentioned in another similar thread), pulled the recoil bar far forward.

Feels like it is hitting the disassembly lever which will not come out either.

My question - if I take out the pins for holding the frame together will that be enough so the block can be shifted enough to get the slide off?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well I can't help with not being able to get the slide back off, but the trigger not resetting happens with the match TRS. You can't let it out the least bit slow, have to snap your finger back off. That's why I took mine back out before even firing it. Well that, and I didn't particularly care for the trigger being THAT light.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well I can't help with not being able to get the slide back off, but the trigger not resetting happens with the match TRS. You can't let it out the least bit slow, have to snap your finger back off. That's why I took mine back out before even firing it. Well that, and I didn't particularly care for the trigger being THAT light.
I have the match trigger spring kit in my VP9 and it resets just fine. It's a little softer than before, but I can let the trigger forward slowly and it will reset every time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Morning,

Like a lot of you I'm not a gunsmith - even though I did work on the 20mm machine gun Phalanx system while I was in the USN. Also like a lot of you I prefer to do things myself if possible. I ordered the H&K Ultra Match springs set last week from HKParts.net and when they arrived yesterday I decided to install them myself (after I watched a YouTube vid on installing them and a couple of disassemble threads from here with lots of pictures.)

Moving on - I took the weapon apart yesterday, installed the two springs and reassembled it. While I was reassembling it the trigger bar spring came loose from the frame. (After a while of feeling fat-fingered it while trying to get it hooked back up, I just took it completely out and continued the reassembly.) Once done with the small stuff I put the slide back on it to see how the trigger felt. (Very good. I polished the disconnector while I had it apart and rid myself of the sudden hump that happens on a trigger pull.)
Problem 1) The trigger doesn't reset itself by going forward.
Problem 2) I went to take the slide off again so I could put the spring back on the trigger bar only to find that the slide would not come off.

That is where I'm stuck. I've tried getting hold of the recoil spring bar and seeing if I could make sure it was it the right place - no luck.
Tried turning it upside down (mentioned in another similar thread), pulled the recoil bar far forward.

Feels like it is hitting the disassembly lever which will not come out either.

My question - if I take out the pins for holding the frame together will that be enough so the block can be shifted enough to get the slide off?

Thanks in advance for any help.
When the slide won't come off, are you feeling a hard stop or spring pressure keeping it from going forward? If spring pressure, it's the striker spring. Move the slide back, turn it upside down, and pull the striker plate cover off the back end of the slide to remove the striker assembly, then the slide will come right off and you can reinstall the striker on the slide while it's off.

P.S. - That's assuming you've already tried pulling and manipulating the trigger while moving the slide forward, which is the most common "easy" fix to a stuck slide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The slide works fine if you were racking a bullet and the trigger pulls much better than it did before I started except that it doesn't reset once it is pulled all the way back and released.
The slide will not go forward from its resting position much more than 1/8" and the disassembly lever will not go into its normal position nor will it come out more than 1/16 to 1/8" if I try to remove it.

Feels to me it is hitting on the disassembly lever.

·
Registered
627 Posts
You do realize it is a striker fired gun not a double action and the slide has to be racked for it to fire again. Just making sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You do realize it is a striker fired gun not a double action and the slide has to be racked for it to fire again. Just making sure.
Yes. I can see how my comment could be a little confusing. The trigger stays in the fired position (all the way back).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When the slide won't come off, are you feeling a hard stop or spring pressure keeping it from going forward? If spring pressure, it's the striker spring. Move the slide back, turn it upside down, and pull the striker plate cover off the back end of the slide to remove the striker assembly, then the slide will come right off and you can reinstall the striker on the slide while it's off.

P.S. - That's assuming you've already tried pulling and manipulating the trigger while moving the slide forward, which is the most common "easy" fix to a stuck slide.
A hard stop. Slides back fine and dandy.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't have a VP so I can only guess the slide is hitting the trigger bar. I would hold the gun in different positions (side ways, upside down) and tapping it with your hand while trying to remove the slide.
You do have the magazine out. Not sure of your experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Robertp - I will check the trigger bar.

I was reading (imagine that) the manual online shortly ago and it said the slide will not come off if the firing pin is not in the fired position. My firing pin is in the cocked position.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I really don't know that much about the internals but Klaustrophobia mentioned in post #2 the trigger doesn't reset unless you release it fast. I would try holding the trigger down and racking the slide and releasing the trigger fast to get it to reset and then pull the trigger and keep the trigger pulled while trying to get the slide off. I might be totally wrong though. The only reason I am responding is because nobody else is.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would also try working the trigger while moving the slide back and fourth, I've seen it happen on other striker fired pistols

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It's been some time since I've had a look at the VP9 internals but if I'm remembering right the form spring you say popped loose holds the trigger bar in place. Without it maybe the trigger bar got out of position and is jamming the slide up. Are you sure when you put the match springs in there you got the legs of the TRS situated right? It was a real sonofabitch to do for me when I tried out the kit. Took me like a half hour even with the TRS tool. If one of the legs slipped off its rest that would definitely explain the trigger not resetting at all.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Robertp - I will check the trigger bar.

I was reading (imagine that) the manual online shortly ago and it said the slide will not come off if the firing pin is not in the fired position. My firing pin is in the cocked position.
my slide will release when the firing pin is cocked. I do not have to pull the trigger in order for the slide to come free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's been some time since I've had a look at the VP9 internals but if I'm remembering right the form spring you say popped loose holds the trigger bar in place. Without it maybe the trigger bar got out of position and is jamming the slide up. Are you sure when you put the match springs in there you got the legs of the TRS situated right? It was a real sonofabitch to do for me when I tried out the kit. Took me like a half hour even with the TRS tool. If one of the legs slipped off its rest that would definitely explain the trigger not resetting at all.
I think it does have something to do with it. Gonna get some glue in the morning and see if I can't get it on so it will stay. (I don't expect to ever take this critter apart again.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally got the disassembly lever out and it shows signs of being hit. I'll have to take some emery cloth to it.

That said I still can't get the slide to detach. I've turned it upside down, on both of its sides and every other position, but it is firm in its resolve no to come off.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I didn't think the disassembly lever was supposed to come out with the slide still on. Have you looked up through the mag well yet to see if you can see anything loose or out of place? You said you can rack the slide back right? Do that slowly while looking through the mag well and watch for stuff moving where it isn't supposed to. If so maybe you can use tweezers or some needle nose pliers to set it enough to get the slide off.

As to the striker needing to be decocked to disassemble, the disassembly lever is supposed to take care of that. Although since you've managed to remove it without the slide removed I'm not sure how that changes things.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I finally got the disassembly lever out and it shows signs of being hit. I'll have to take some emery cloth to it.

That said I still can't get the slide to detach. I've turned it upside down, on both of its sides and every other position, but it is firm in its resolve no to come off.
If you could post a video of it that would be a huge help, I still can't envision exactly what you're saying.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts