HKPRO Forums banner

How do you collect hk or other firearms?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I'm relatively new to firearms, but have been taken away by the hk bug (2 within a month and a half) so many people talk about. So my question is, how do you folks decide on what to add to your gun collection? I currently have a HK45c light LEM, USPc40 sa/da, and a S&W M&P9c (first gun). Sooo, do you collect them all/ stick to a certain caliber and trigger variant/ or go wherever the bug takes you?

I've been carrying the MP9c for the summertime and the USP40c during the winter. I also haven't had enough time with the LEM to become proficient or comfortable for that matter. I shoot, by far the best, with my USP40c sa/da. So is there a logical progression? Do I get the USP40 in sa/da or try a hk variety of 9mm? So many choices, such limited funds. I'm wondering what you folks do. Do I dare dive into some other "iconic" guns aka sig p226 or glock 19 for some variety and overall diversity?

Don't mind my rambling, I'm just looking for some advice for hk addiction relief from people who have been there before!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you want to do with them. Regular carry? You might want to stick to pistols with similar caliber and operational functions to maximize training consistency. Range fun? A variety of models and calibers might be more desirable. For collection, display, or future value? Save a LOT of money and watch for opportunities to pick up the more coveted and highly regarded models. A lot to think about! Since I turned 21 I have bought exactly two pistols for myself--the first on the day I turned 21 was a Ruger P89DC that was my carry gun for close to twenty years. Ugly as hell, not too accurate, rattled like crazy, but reliable as hell and never had a single failure despite thousands of rounds of the crappiest surplus ammo I could scrounge up at gun shows and no maintenance at all outside the weekly cleaning and after each trip to the range. After many years of reading, considering, and saving pop can money, I got a P30L to take over the daily carry duty. But the HK bug is indeed contagious and the onset of symptoms can be fast--in my case it has actually been a couple years since I got the P30L but now I am desperately lusting for a P2000SK to complement my p30L. So have fun with the collection!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! At the present time I want guns I'll shoot and not put in a safe or display. I'm currently in the application process for various LE jobs with the longest being a border patrol application which has gone on for two years. With such variety in modern pistols it's always a constant battle to dredge through opinions on firearms and find something that fits you best, as an individual.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I have an HK45 and use that for HD right now alongside a pistolgrip 12ga shotgun. It's also my range pistol. Eventually I would like to get either an HK45c or a USPc in .45 when I get my CCW. That being said I want HD and carry to be the same caliber just for ease of switching guns and keeping things consistent. After that, it'll be anything goes. I reeaaaaaaaally want an MR556 and am going to my LGS Friday to put money down on one. Once I get that, I'm thinking something in 9mm for a fun range pistol. I'm thinking P30L just because the grip is similar to my HK45.

So there's my two cents, however little they may be worth in today's marketplace.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
If you don't collect HK roller locked rifles/carbines IMO you are not a real HK collector

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you want to be a pistol collector, I think you must go past HK's. For me, at least one quality 1911 is a must. Also, a quality revolver is essential to being a well-rounded shooter. I actually forget exactly how many pistols I have. I know it's more than a dozen and probably less than 20. Three are HK's. I'll likely get P30 sometime. Might sell my P9S 45 target. They come and they go, but the classics remain.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
As it has been said before "the mission drives the gear." So what is you mission as far as your collection is concerned? Do you just want to collect pistols in general? Or Collect HKs?

I'm a collector turned shooter so now I just want to shoot ONE pistol, that being my HK45. I have little use for anything else.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like to stick with with the same platform/manufacturer(H&K) of course that's just me. It keeps me familiar with it but, I don't buy to collect. I buy to use the hell out of em!

·
Registered
1997 USP 9mm Full Size, too many upgrades to list.
610 Posts
I'm not really a collector, but tend to buy what I find interesting. My next pistol will likely be a Hi-Power or an FN Tactical.

I also want to get a DPMS panther in .308.

-Sean

Typoed on my iPhone.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I'm not really a collector, but tend to buy what I find interesting. My next pistol will likely be a Hi-Power or an FN Tactical.

I also want to get a DPMS panther in .308.

-Sean

Typoed on my iPhone.
My first real fighting automatic was an FN HP 9MM.. drew it 2 x against bad guys. I have 5 BHPs now including a MK III .40 variant which is my daily carry weapon

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I like to stick with with the same platform/manufacturer(H&K) of course that's just me. It keeps me familiar with it but, I don't buy to collect. I buy to use the hell out of em!
I'm about the same. I have other guns because HK doesn't make things like shotguns, .22 pistols, and other fun to shoot guns. Besides my HKs I have an AR-15 (US made), Saiga 12 conversion, savage bolt action .22 and a ruger 22/45 pistol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I chose #4, but I put that in the same category as #2. I like variety. While I love my HK, I enjoy having different options ready to go.

I am more collector than shooter (although I shoot all of them), and my own collection is built around the "iconic gun" theme. I own a Glock 17, SIG P226, Beretta M9, and an HK USPct (as well as a Walther PPQ, which is a new model but classic manufacturer). My rifle collection also follows this pattern. I like having these iconic designs for comparison. It is particularly fun with friends who don't shoot much. I can share with them a broad shooting experience from my own collection.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems like variety is winning out in the pole! The sig p229 .357sig in FDE that cdnn has in their latest email seems interesting... hmm...

·
Professional Gunslinger
278 Posts
I just try and stick to the basic NATO calibers.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
An HK collection can get pretty expensive quick, then add on top of that the other "Variety" and it gets insane. Already contemplating another safe if I expand the collection further, but I guess the lack of space makes a good deterrent for slowing down the addiction.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have a HK45 for HD...and the HK45c for concealed carry.
Both are set up with light LEM, with Heinie straight eight sights.

K.I.S.S.

·
Registered
31 Posts
HK, any flavor you feel fits your hand, Elite .45 for target, Ruger MKII Government Target Model .22 for target, USP Compact 9mm because I didn't have one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts