HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm considering a tactical light for the USP .45 that I recently acquired. I've done some research, but I'd like some input as well.

So far, it seems like the options are the HK UTL, the Insight M2, and then other options that can be attached via various rail adapters.

I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, so I've sort of ruled out the UTL. The M2 looks nice, but the fact that it is HK-limited sort of turned me off. I've got other guns with Picatinny rails that I'd like to be able to use the light with if need be. I kind of like the look of that rail adapter on the front of the gun, for whatever reason.

What are your experiences with the M2 or with other lights attached via the adapters? I'm trying to keep things in the low to mid 100 dollar range. Any advantages or disadvantages to choosing one option over the other?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too have been looking for a tactical light for my usp tactical .45. What I think I have settled on a surefire x200b with a surefire rail adaptor. A pricey setup, but for a usp tactical, I think its worth it. I also thought about going a bit cheaper with a streamlight tlr-1, for about 125 bucks, and a cheaper rail adaptor for about 20 bucks. Found that rail at cheaper than dirt, looks a bit cheap for me though. As for experience with lights, I have none. Have heard good things about surefire, so I decided thats what I want. There are also lots of cheaper no-name-brand type of lights out there if your really worried about price. But I think you get what you pay for. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Streamlight TLR-2 here, so far nothing but positives. The light can be taken off the rail with a thumb screw, and comes with a nifty mall-ninja laser. I don't really mind leaving the rail-adapter on, but it may not fit in all holsters like that.

Pics:

L

·
0 Posts
i strongly recommend the TLR1/TLR2 over the surefire.

The X200 series are good lights. But they are over rated and over priced.

the TLR1 is about 100.00 at most places. For this, Not only do you get a brighter beam than the surefire, but it will last about an hour longer.

the TLR1 is durable too. Just 'cause its cheaper doesn't mean your compromising reliability. it will submerge, take shock, drops, and rocks just like the surefire. and yes, it will also pound nails. it might even ask for seconds too...

The TLR Series also comes with a NO bs, No EXCUSES warantee. If you break it, they replace it... period.

admittedly, the surefire does have its physical advantages. such as its tough finish, slightly smaller size, different control switch, and aspherical lens in the front.

but for me, these features are not enough for the price it demands. i am more concerned with performance than physical aspects of things. And performance wise, the TLR1 is not only on par, but actually superior to the X200 in several aspects.

Go buy one and never look back!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey guys, I'm considering a tactical light for the USP .45 that I recently acquired. .... I'm trying to keep things in the low to mid 100 dollar range.
Streamlight TLR-1 is ~$100 literally everywhere.

http://www.botachtactical.com/sttrtali.html Botac.com has the TLR-1 for $89.95 but make double sure they have them in stock or you might have a good wait. I've always had 100% good transactions with Botac, but some have not.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The X200 series are good lights. But they are over rated and over priced.

[...]

The TLR Series also comes with a NO bs, No EXCUSES warantee. If you break it, they replace it... period.
FWIW, Surefire has released the X300. They also have a 'you break it, we replace it' warranty.

-john

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was just about to get on here and ask this same question for a light for my USP. I was thinking about the X300 (although I'm not sure what is different about it as compared to the X200 as I can't find X200 specs anywhere to compare with the X300), the Insight M3X, and the TLR-1.

So the TLR-1 is brighter than the X200, huh? What about the X300 (or did they even get any brighter?) I recall their being a thread on this message board where someone took a picture that showed the beams from the TLR-1 and (I think) the X200 side-by-side. Does anyone have the link to that? Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I found the info for each light on the company websites. The only reason I was thinking about getting a surefire was for the name. But after checking out botach tactical and seeing the streamlight tlr-1 for 90 bucks, I think I will get that instead if they are in stock. (Thanks eric10mm) I like the surefire and streamlights because they are made out of aluminum. The insight lights and a few others are made of plastic. Personally not too thrilled about that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
that rules out my suggestion. i was going to say the m6x on a gg,g rail but the other 1 is good too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've seen a few pictures and reports of different combos when it comes to the USP. Some saying the light hangs too low when its mounted on a Promag adapter, or not close enough with the GG&G w/ TLR combo.

The Surefire X200 may be overrated, but from what was reported, it was the one that sat against the triggerguard. It offered the best fit and heigth.

So, my vote would be the Surefire MR09 adapter and X200 combo.

No gaps, excellent fit and the light sits right against the triggerguard.

L

·
0 Posts
i was not taking into consideration the X300. basically because i have not had any experiences with it and plus im sure its well out of the 100 dollar range.

here is a somewhat nice review put together. it compares the difference between the TLR1 and surefire x200 a. it's about halfway down the page...

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/wlights.html

photo login: MM
password: MM

here's a picture of the TLR1 mounted on my expert.

as you can see from this angle, the promag adaptor does offset the light a bit forward. but its really not a big deal

if you want the lowest profile, just buy the GG&G. even though the promag by all accounts is 'good enough'.

·
Registered
239 Posts
LA Police Gear in CA sells the HK light for under $150, around $135 if I remember right. That makes it a viable option for me. I own a M3 light and have it mounted on my USP 40 with a GG&G adapter that cost about $50. It is very much similar to the SureFire rail, and have even heard/read speculation it might be made by GG&G for SureFire who then marks it up another $30. Keep in mind that holsters become a real challenge when mounting lights other than HK's onto your USP. They have to be rail and light specific and if there's no market it likely won't get made or will need to be custom built. Safariland is a good source, but their offerings are limited.

My next light will likely be the TLR 1 or TLR 2, I just have to decide if I want to drop the extra coin for the laser option or not. Both from LA Police Gear are cheap, at about $100 and $250 respectively. By comparision, I can get two white lights (TLR) shipped for what one laser/light costs. I like the upgraded aluminum body of the TLR, the brightness is probably a bit less, because that's SureFire's business, I can't see paying what they want for their X200 when my M3 works just fine, and I can get the TLR 2 with a laser for that price.

The LED technology is what sets apart the more modern lights from older versions like the "M" series that includes HK's UTL or it's other designation the Steamlight/M2. I'd go LED before getting another incandescent light, just because the older versions eat the expensive lithium cell batteries and don't produce the same brightness of light over the same amount of time. Older lights are dimmer and burn less time than LED lights (like the TLR and X200).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been reading more about the X300 and it seems like it's an upgrade to the X200B. Basically, it apparently casts a wide enough beam to identify peripheral like the X200B, is brighter, and lasts about 2.4 hours. I know that its price puts it out of the running for the circa 100 mark, but someone else may wanna know about it, so ya know... it's whatever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
light

hey i'm getting an insight m6x on my tactical. just have to get the ggg adapter for it. i have a question, i went on la police gear and they have a m6x for one hundred dollars cheaper than insight. anyone know what the deal is? are they older versions or something?

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
i like the blackhawk xiphos, small, bright, will do momentary, constant, strobe, and fits on the usp rails or picatinny (sorry, i dont have a pic of it on a usp yet, have a second xiphos waiting for when i get my usp off of layaway!):

it clamps down firm on the left side:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts