HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that some early production models had functioning problems (too shallow chamber flutes ?).

Is there a database that I could compare the serial number of a mildly used PTR-91F to so I can avoid buying a problem gun ?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
All JLD marked guns, except the first 100 are fine. The ser# will start with "A" When PTR took over the ser# started with "AW". No one knows exactly when the barrel change happened, but from feedback here, it seems up to AW1000 is fine. Maybe it goes higher, but we don't know. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Just so I am sure I understand, are you saying that anything after that number is reported to have problems, or before that number ? (It would seem that later guns would have the problem fixed, but anything is possible).
This gun has the old style lower and pistol grip, not the later Navy lower.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I have an AW15XX and it is fine. Near 1,000 rds so far and no bolt gap loss at all, accurate and reliable. The actual number I have seen listed as problematical is about AW2000 +

From what I have read the number that starts the "corrected" AWs is 8000 +

·
Registered
529 Posts
AW 2000 to AW8000 have heavy barrels, tight chambers and do not cycle tar sealed ammo. No Radway, DAG, South African or Portugesse surplus in these,

but my AW35xx and AW53xx, both shoot 3-4 moa groups with steel cased Wolf and Tula, better than 3 moa with Remington 150 grain Core-loc.

yes, 5 round groups, at 100yards.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Both my AW# PTR's had numbers BELOW 1600 and shot EVERYTHING fine. A buddy had one AW30XX that would jam on anything but AE and a couple other premium brands.
His would shoot NO, REPEAT NO!, surplus ammo. He actually purchased my low number Karbine (16" bbl) when i got my G.I., although I now wish I had KEPT the Karbine and PASSED on the G.I.
I now have problems with the G.I. resolved (and it's a GREAT SHOOTER!!) but would rather have NOT gotten rid of the Karbine and passed on the G.I.!
I would also agree with Alembic about the metal lower being a JLD/PTR rifle UNLESS someone put an HK metal lower or a clipped and pinned one on.
Nothing I know of (subject to revision by members) made by PTR has a metal lower.
Good Luck since these HK/Klone MBR's are among the most reliable ever made.
Germany didn't phase out the G3 until the 90's, I THINK. That gave it a 40+ year service life! Has to prove something!!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
AW 2000 to AW8000 have heavy barrels, tight chambers and do not cycle tar sealed ammo. No Radway, DAG, South African or Portugesse surplus in these,

but my AW35xx and AW53xx, both shoot 3-4 moa groups with steel cased Wolf and Tula, better than 3 moa with Remington 150 grain Core-loc.

yes, 5 round groups, at 100yards.
BUT my AW15XX has the Thompson Center heavy barrel and no problems.. so it's a certain run of them that are suspect, not all. I am getting 2 MOA with everything and irons or an Eotech

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looking at a PRT-91FR that's AW80xx, is that a safe range? Seems so, from the above, just wanted to confirm. When was it made, any idea?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts