HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks for the move

Well tomorrow is my 22nd birthday and my parents were nice enough to give me some money for my present this year since I have too many hobbies and am very picky about what I buy. Anyways, I have been looking at getting a USC for a long time (I tried to get my dad to buy one for himself so I could shoot it when I was 17), then the SL8 and HK91 caught my eye about a month ago. I like them all and like how if I wanted to I could make a UMP, G36, PSG-1 clone based off of each one respectively if I chose to.

One part of my decision comes down to where I can shoot it. I can shoot the .45 at my local pistol range, but it is only a 25-yard range, but can shoot any of them at the other range I go to (about 20 miles away vs. 5 miles), but they have two 50yd ranges and a 100m range, where I can shoot anything below .50 BMG.

The other part is cost. I am not made of money, but can afford any one of the three if I want them, but if I can get as much enjoyment for less money, that is awesome too (both ammo and gun price). If they made the USC in .40 to match my USP it would feel like a no-brainer.

Opinions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have g36c and UMP conversion, sold my HK 91. Every time I go to the range the UMP goes too. Get the USC!

You can get a 40 barrel and bolt to convert it to 40.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my USC before other HK rifles because I could use it at the pistol range. I visit the pistol range a couple of times a month verse the rifle range six times a year. Plus 45 ammo is cheaper the 308.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I ended up with a usc bout a year ago, and always lusted after the ump conversion. now that I've made the switch to the ump setup, I regret not doing it sooner.

whenever I head to the range, my bobcat and usc/ump are always with me. the usc/ump always gets alot of attention at the range, its not something most people see every day.

I looked into the .40 conversion, but cant justify $1100+ for a barrel and bolt.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think the biggest problem you have here is price.

The USC bone stock will run you $1300-1500. Converting to a UMP will cost you another $800-900 plus mags. Converting it again to a .40 means replacing the bolt and barrel as has been previously discussed in the thread. I have an Eotech 512 and a Streamlight TLR-1 on mine and those aren't cheap either. Whatever extra you save on ammo between your USP and USC will never ever ever equal to the amount of money you spend on a .40 UMP conversion. Also, you are going to take more of a loss if you ever try to sell the UMP at .40 than if you left it at .45 (because the only people who appreciate it will be the ones who want to go to .40, the .45-is-fine-with-me folks won't care for the extra cost). With that said, I highly recommend the USC/UMP conversion, I enjoy mine very much.

You can get a PTR 91 (HK91 clone) for under $1000 if you work for it. If you go for PSG-1 light you can do it for not much more money: scope mount, scope, adjustable stock, bipod. I own one of these as well. In the end it's far less expensive than the UMP conversion (by about $1000), but the ammo is more expensive as well.

Here's a picture of the two of mine side by side:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6416/dsc00363jz3.jpg

As for the SL8, expect the cost on base as well as G36 converted to be about in line with the UMP conversion.

If cost wasn't a factor I'd go with the UMP. The USC isn't a bad gun to shoot, and the UMP with a light and Eotech sight on it just looks mean. It's a fun little gun, longer than you think but not nearly as bulky as the 91.

If cost is a factor I'd go with the PTR 91. First off, your final/ideal version of the gun is cheaper by about $1K. Secondly, the PTR has cheaper accessories and already comes with 20-30 shot mags, where you have to convert the USC to a UMP to get that.

How much money do you want to spend is the question. If $2K is the number I'd go with the 91. If $2K now and $1K later is the number, or if $3K now is the number, I'd go with the UMP.

Either way you can't lose, they are both great guns, used for different tasks.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
You and I were in a similiar boat... USC, SL8 or HK93. I already own a pre-ban Colt AR and a Colt M4 so .223/5.56 ammo wasn't an issue as I have PLENTY of it.

I didn't want an HK93 clone, I wanted a genuine HK so for the 3.5k+ for one in mint condition (or to refurb a "worn" one kinda ruled that one out).

A local dealer has new (OEM black) USC/UMP conversions (done by HDPS) for around $2300 where-as a stock SL8-6 is in that neighborhood (at least in MI). I was pretty much sold on the USC/UMP route till it hit me that I don't see too many SL8/G36 conversions around here. So I did some research on the SL8 conversion and found out that a well-converted SL8 would cost just over $3k so that kinda put me back to the USC/UMP.

I based my final decision on what genuine assault rile I would take if I found a genie in a bottle and he granted me a wish... so I bit the bullet and went for the SL8 and am slowly doing the conversion as funds permit.

When I'm done with the SL8/G36 conversion I'll circle back to the UMP/USC but THAT one I might buy already converted since I'd only save a couple hundred bucks doing it myself and the HDPS conversion is pristine.

If when said and done your after as close to the "authentic" rifle as you can get, go for the USC/UMP. The SL8 conversion is costly (if you want to make it look authentic) and the HK91/PSG1 will be outrageous (again, if you want authenticity).

I'm a "brand name junkie" when it comes to firearms so kee that in mind. You can do the SL8 and HK91 conversions for a lot less if you're not as anal as I am :)

Congradulations on your near purchase... and in any event, you'll enjoy whichever one you decide to go with!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I personally would go with an HK USC/UMP conversion. Great gun too shoot for fun at the range and accurate up to around 50 yards.

You and I were in a similiar boat... USC, SL8 or HK93. I already own a pre-ban Colt AR and a Colt M4 so .223/5.56 ammo wasn't an issue as I have PLENTY of it.

I didn't want an HK93 clone, I wanted a genuine HK so for the 3.5k+ for one in mint condition (or to refurb a "worn" one kinda ruled that one out).

A local dealer has new (OEM black) USC/UMP conversions (done by HDPS) for around $2300 where-as a stock SL8-6 is in that neighborhood (at least in MI). I was pretty much sold on the USC/UMP route till it hit me that I don't see too many SL8/G36 conversions around here. So I did some research on the SL8 conversion and found out that a well-converted SL8 would cost just over $3k so that kinda put me back to the USC/UMP.

I based my final decision on what genuine assault rile I would take if I found a genie in a bottle and he granted me a wish... so I bit the bullet and went for the SL8 and am slowly doing the conversion as funds permit.

When I'm done with the SL8/G36 conversion I'll circle back to the UMP/USC but THAT one I might buy already converted since I'd only save a couple hundred bucks doing it myself and the HDPS conversion is pristine.

If when said and done your after as close to the "authentic" rifle as you can get, go for the USC/UMP. The SL8 conversion is costly (if you want to make it look authentic) and the HK91/PSG1 will be outrageous (again, if you want authenticity).

I'm a "brand name junkie" when it comes to firearms so kee that in mind. You can do the SL8 and HK91 conversions for a lot less if you're not as anal as I am :)

Congradulations on your near purchase... and in any event, you'll enjoy whichever one you decide to go with!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Like you I have the same dilemma. :2500000:

I have already headed down the road of a PSG1 light and am well into my second clone build. To do it right the PSG1 is not cheap but with careful hunting on boards and gunbroker I have kept the cost to a min. My problem with come in the gunsmithing which will cost an arm and a leg. It's too late to turn back so I am just going to complete it.

My next build will be the SL8 conversion.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'd be hard pressed to part with either my USC, or my HK91. Both are fine weapons. While the 91 is in one of my favorite rifle calibers the USC is cheaper to spend a day at the range with since I don't reload. It is great out to 50-75 yards and never fails to draw a crowd of lookers. You'd enjoy one I'm sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts