HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know of a good source for tube stock? I'm looking for a specific size for UMP barrel extensions/mock suppressors and don't want to bore a piece of solid stock if I can avoid it... having trouble finding the thick wall tube I need though.
I'd need something around 1-1/4 od x .375 ID or .313 wall. it needs to fit over the tip but have enough "meat" to lathe out the area to fit over the lug.
any good sources for tubing?

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Yes... aircraftspruce.com

But... using tubing will require you to swiss cheese the tubing. As stupid as it sounds, just a bare tube with endcaps is considered a "sound moderating device" by ATF as it will quiet the gun ever so slightly. I don't know the amount of silencing allowed but I wouldn't want to be the test case...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
no it would be solid. not a hallow can of any sort. that's the issue. Ill check out the site. thanks! ( looks like mostly thin wall tubing on that site )

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Why not do a 2 piece barrel extension and faux suppressor?
That would be lighter and also not provide any degree of sound suppression.
Cost more of course..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea I could but then its a hallow can... scares me a little bit. might not be technically illegal but these are for guns we are selling so I want to make sure someone doesn't get harassed or questioned about one of my builds...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
If you constructed it so that the faux can screwed off but the barrel extension was pinned or soldered on if anyone
questioned them about it they could just take the can off and show them.
I've been working on doing this for my .40 UMP barrel for a little while now.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have no idea what would be required for a fake suppressor to be legal, as I've never really seen the point of one. However, I would check with a local metal supplier/recycler. I have one within two hours of me (the nearest "city" to speak of), that I could get a piece of round bar stock measured to length with a hole down the center a really insignificant cost over the cost of material. Then you could turn/thread/etc. the rest yourself, if that's your desire. The last time I got bar stock from them, I had it cut into three pieces and two of them drilled, for only $5 extra. The shipping costs to get it from somewhere else, are likely to exceed the "cutting" cost from a local material supplier.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already went to my local guy before posting this. he doesn't have it and can't get it. he has 2 pieces that could be sleeved together to make something similar and at this point I may need to go that rout... I don't really want to order online but I don't want to pay and wait for a machine shop to bore solid stock for me either. so unless I find a good source Ill need to sleeve tubing together or buy some sort of boring tool for the lathe...
the point is to bring the barrel to 16" in the least ridiculous looking manner.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Check with Ed at HDPS.org. He sells USC/UMP conversions with either a straight barrel, threaded barel is flash hider or faux suppressor.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't want to buy them. they are to expensive. just looking for material. I have seen his stuff and it is nice though. they don't have one that's really designed for what I'm looking to do any way.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ed has helped me with parts before, maybe he can sell you the raw material so you can build what you are looking for

·
Registered
765 Posts
I already went to my local guy before posting this.
I guess I must be spoiled. I don't have to go to a machine shop. I get my metal from Pacific Steel & Recycling | A Northwest Tradition Built on Trust My advantage is that I can actually go to them. They aren't a machine shop and won't do detailed work, but they will do basic work on materials bought from them for a very low additional fee. You might try getting a hold of them to see if they can supply you with some pieces simply cut to length and center drilled. I just checked and they have up to 2" round bar stock of 6061.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts