HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, complete newbie here.

I am going to be buying my first gun soon, and I initially decided on the p2000sk. I found this board and have been scouring relevant threads for some time now to make sure I did it right. I have shot before, but have never had any training and have never cleaned a gun. I feel like I have a million questions, hopefully I can clear some of them up here.

I have never even seen an HK in real life, but reading these forums has me wanting to build a collection already. Unfortunately I can only afford one at the moment and have started to waiver a bit from my initial choice. 99999 would have me buy a Glock to learn to shoot with, but I just can't get myself to do it. I am now considering a P30 and the sk in 9mm, LEM. I am hoping to be able to handle each in a store before buying online.

I need to learn how to clean it before I shoot it - I would appreciate it if I could get some recommendations on what I need to buy for that. There are some kits on Amazon I was going to decide between, but if some experienced shooters here can give any guidance on what would be a good kit or some necessary components I would appreciate it.

I picked up a Howard Leight L3 earmuff already, along with some cheap Radians adjustable glasses. I figured if I end up upgrading in that area those would be nice to own as backup or for a friend to use. I was also considering the Howard Leight electronic ones - any thoughts on those? Any of you guys just use earplugs? Any thoughts on quality shooting glasses, or are those just a personal comfort preference thing?

I also have picked some snap caps already - I want to play around with the trigger as soon as I get it. Also already purchased a Butler Creek pistol loader - will people look at me funny if I whip that out at the range?

Ammo - if I buy some reloads online will I have any trouble shooting them at a range as long as they are brass-cased? Should I stick with any specific ammo type while breaking in the pistol? Any suggestions on where to buy economic training ammo as well as quality defense ammo would help a lot.

I am thinking Heinie Night sights. The Heinie website will not load the HK section for me, not sure if it is a problem on my end or theirs. Can anyone tell me the approximate total cost of the sights, Heinie installation, and shipping both ways? Thanks.

I know someone would bring up a training class if I didn't - so does anyone know of a training class to recommend near Columbus, OH? Or any general recommendations on ranges in the area (preferably w/ HK's for rent)? Also hoping to get a ccw license after gaining some experience, but I think where I go for that will depend more on the my schedule.

Any other general advice welcomed, if you made it all the way through I thank you.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Best advice I ever got about firearms is this: shoot'em before you buy'em.
Find a local range that rents a G19 and a P2000sk.
You're in Columbus, that shouldn't be impossible.
Buy some ammo there (they will be more likely to...)
Ask them if they have an instructor there that can show you the
basics.
Buy the one you like and then worry about more instruction and all the other stuff.
All the other stuff is secondary to finding a firearm that you're comfortable with,
Glock or HK.
Personally I tried a G23 and then shot an HK USPc .40 which I liked a LOT
better and traded one for the other.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hello Chester. Welcome to HKpro! You're taking the right step forward in choosing HK! I think most of us here would agree. HK's are rock solid, highly reliable and beautiful guns. They are perfect out of the box and in my opinion, with reasonable maintenance, get better with age.

The P2ksk in LEM (or not) is a great choice, particularly for concealed carry. Your other choice the P30 I hear is a wonderful and accurate gun. I don't own either and have not shot the P30, but it's the newest 9mm to come from HK.

I think two main deciding factors come into play. The first would be to hold each of them (and shoot if possible). Whichever feels better in your hand and feels like "yours" should be the gun you pick. The second thing I would consider is its intended use. Is this HK a candidate for your future concealed carry? Will it be a range/target gun? A home defense gun? Or a combination?

My personal opinion is, if this is going to be your first gun (and only gun until you go crazy and buy them all), the P30 might be the right choice. It's larger, easier to manipulate and perhaps more fun to shoot. I tend to think unless concealed carry is criterium, go with the more sizeable model. However if you plan on getting that CCW before buying another gun, the P2k will do just fine. I know there are members on this forum that conceal a P30 no problem.

As far as cleaning goes: There are countless threads on this and videos online to watch; as well as the instruction manual which I'll revert to when in doubt. I don't see the P2Ksk being any more complicated than the P30. Basic field stripping and cleaning your HK is a breeze. You'll need a bore brush (and if you want get a bore snake too), cleaning solvent and lubricant (or a combo like Breakfree CLP), cleaning swabs, a soft nylon toothbrush.... and I think that's about it. Detail stripping, which you will not need to perform on the gun right away is a little more complicated. The basic cleaning supplies you'll need shouldn't run you over $30-40.

I'm not the expert here though, so other members: please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sounds like you have a nice start with your earmuffs and glasses. Since you asked, no, I do not use earmuffs. I've used earplugs for as long as I can remember. They are just more comfortable for me.

As far as sights go, it's all personal. Heine does make sights for the P30 (not sure about the P2K). I've shot with the Straight 8's but they aren't my favorite. But once again it's personal. I've always liked Novak (if you want night sights Trijicon makes Novak style ones.).

A training class would be an excellent idea to even do in the meantime, before you get your HK. That way you can get into good habits and get a feel for everything.

I hope this helps and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of more informational posts than mine.

Good luck! And let us know what you decide. And you came to the right place for questions!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Best advice I ever got about firearms is this: shoot'em before you buy'em.

Buy the one you like and then worry about more instruction and all the other stuff.
All the other stuff is secondary to finding a firearm that you're comfortable with,
What he said! :wink:

·
Banned
599 Posts
I have a glock 19 never fails honestly cant hit a thing with it but that is me not the pistol If you like me love to shoot targets consider a 10 22 there is no end to the upgrades that are available and they are fun to shootwith a good barrel and stock.. like they said If you have the change to shoot before you buy do it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just typed out a reply and stupidly clicked Reply to Thread, so here it goes again.

I lied before about never seeing an HK. I saw a USP once at a range when I went with some friends for part of a bachelor party. The guy I was paired with was set on a Glock. I shot it horribly, but I was shooting with one eye closed and recently learned here I should keep both eyes open. I an set on a HK now, anyway.

Thank you everyone for your advice, especially yours William. I have ordered the components you recommended, and I just have one clarification question. I ordered the Breakfree - does that mean I do not need any other solvent or lube? I should lube the gun before shooting the first time, correct?

I am hoping to be able to get to a range in the next couple weekends (don't have the time this weekend) to test them out. Not sure if I can wait that long though, I have a bit of an internet shopping compulsion and I really want one of these now. I am also considering the P2000 - I know going with the x-grip and the SK is sort of like having both guns in one, but I think I may want the extra sight radius. People here love the HK45c, and the P2000 seems comparable.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
If the gun is NIB, you should field strip and perform a detailed cleaning to get rid of the factory grease before taking it out to the range. The grease is not regular grease, it's anti-corrosion grease and it's not good to shoot with it.

The Sights link on Heinie website is broken. Use this HK Sights link instead. They don't make sights for P2000SK.

I have the Howard Leight L3 and love it. It's a little bulky but the protection is awesome. I also have the Howard Leight Impact Sport and it's the electronic hearing protector. Haven't tried it at the range yet but soon.

Some people love LEM, some just hate it. I'd say try to shoot DA/SA and LEM, then decide which one to buy. Only you can decide for yourself.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Chester-

Thank you. Glad my advice helped out a bit. TooSixy is right.. you want to get rid of all that factory grease if it's NIB. Forgot to mention that. If you purchase the gun at a reputable gun shop, or have it transferred to one if you order online, I'm sure they can show you how to detail strip the gun. If not, there are plenty of videos and articles on it. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in that now.

The P2000 is a great compromise between the SK and the P30. I for one have never owned a gun smaller in size than my compact Glock 32. I like larger guns for their longer sight radius, feel, and ergonomics (large hands). You definitely need to test shoot both LEM and DA/SA if possible. Since this might be a carry gun, not sure if the Light LEM is a good choice... many members put that on their range or competition guns and prefer it to the standard (heavier) LEM. But finding a rental range gun with LEM might be difficult.. so I think at this point, I'd get the gun that feels/shoots best in DA/SA. You can always get it converted later. I shoot in DA/SA and love the SA trigger pull. I never shoot it in DA, but don't mind having it there.

Oh one more tip if you get a chance to handle both the P30 and P2k(sk) at a dealer... see if they will mount the alternate backstraps/grip panels for you. That could make all the difference. Being in CA it's not easy to get hold of HK45/P30's, but I held an HK45 at the range 2 weeks ago and it felt way too small for me. But it had the smallest backstrap on it. I knew that if it were fitted with the larger strap I would have enjoyed it more.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Chester, I too am a novice and picked up a cleaning tip at my CCDW class yesterday. My instructor recommended a Hoppe's 9 Boresnake to clean out the barrel. I picked one up after my class and used it last night and it worked really well and is very easy to use by someone not seasoned in gun cleaning (like me)!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Chester, the P30 is a great weapon, as are the P2000 variants. I'd agree with finding one to handle first, because you're making an investment in the future and a few dollars either way aren't a game breaker. The P30 grip is second to none for me, as is the ability to customize it for different hands. I'm getting a P2000SK soon, as it is easier for me to conceal than the P30LS I have already, plus I just needed another excuse to own a different HK. Try to find a place to handle, fire and see what you like is still the best advice. If you can hang out at a range for a while, you might get lucky and find someone who will let you take a couple of shots, if you say you're going to be buying one. I'm sure you will find that HK owners are only too glad to have the opportunity to show you their weapon(s).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a local range that has some for rent, but they were too busy to give me a break-down of what was available. Seems pretty reasonable price-wise. I would like to give a 45 a shot as well. Do ranges usually charge separately for each gun, or would they let me swap a couple as long as I keep buying ammo?

I would like to stick to LEM since most people seem to prefer it once they get used to it, and I would like to learn just one system. But I assume I will be able to try both.

Selective, I picked up a boresnake in my cleaning-supply order yesterday - good to hear you like it. I also threw in a Hoppes silicone cleaning cloth - not sure what to use it for. Can anyone tell me if I should use it or how?

·
Registered
25 Posts
just to keep you from making my first shooting mistake. always check the NRR on the hearing protection you buy. there are really crappy ones out there with like a 6 NRR. try to aim above a 20.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I found a local range that has some for rent, but they were too busy to give me a break-down of what was available. Seems pretty reasonable price-wise. I would like to give a 45 a shot as well. Do ranges usually charge separately for each gun, or would they let me swap a couple as long as I keep buying ammo?

I would like to stick to LEM since most people seem to prefer it once they get used to it, and I would like to learn just one system. But I assume I will be able to try both.

Selective, I picked up a boresnake in my cleaning-supply order yesterday - good to hear you like it. I also threw in a Hoppes silicone cleaning cloth - not sure what to use it for. Can anyone tell me if I should use it or how?
Use the silicone cloth to wipe down the outside of the slide after you've used/carried it. It will take off the body/hand oils and protect the metal.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Chester, I too am a novice and picked up a cleaning tip at my CCDW class yesterday. My instructor recommended a Hoppe's 9 Boresnake to clean out the barrel. I picked one up after my class and used it last night and it worked really well and is very easy to use by someone not seasoned in gun cleaning (like me)!
Boresnake is not a replacement for a detailed cleaning. I hope you know that, right?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts

My local range charges $10 for each rental and you have to buy their ammo to rent their gun. That's how they make $$$. If you return one and rent another, another $10.
Use the silicone cloth as Selective said, but do not use it on the grips or your gun will end up on the floor with all the scratches.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My .02: I carry a glock at work and an hk when not at work. I love them both in their roles. That being said, I have picked both glocks and HKs and really not liked how they felt or shot. As others have said, I would never buy a handgun before shooting it first. It will make a world of difference in your decision making. Also, in the price range you are talking (p30, 2k, Glock), get the one you want. A couple hundred dollars difference is worth it for having the carry piece you want and not be thinking you'd have preferred something else.

·
Registered
783 Posts
My range actually has two fees. There are standard guns, and "premium" guns. The HK45 is a "premium".... you can swap out as many times as you want within the category you paid for.

And yes. A bore snake is absolutely not a replacement and +1 for the silicone cloth.. I like Rusty's rags. the Hoppe's one I have leaves a lot of lint in the crevices of the gun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like everyone else said, take your time and try all you can before you buy. Even in the HK line grips vary. Since I'm a girl and have small hands the P2K line and HK45c fit perfectly, whereas the P30, USP line, and full size HK45 didn't.

I bought my first gun in Nov. (P2K 9mm, v3) after trying everything in the range's rental case. The advice I was told, don't get a compact like the P2K-sk as your very first gun. Go with a full size first to learn form, work on marksmanship, and get lots of training. Then later you can add a compact to your collection for CCW. Which I just did yesterday (bought a P2K-sk .40, v3). I absolutely love both, but am really glad I started with the full size first.

Just a little warning, HK's find a way of multiplying. Once you get bit by the bug you can't stop! (so get a bigger safe than you thought you need).

GL in your search, and have fun with it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts