HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm down to either a USP45 compact or a HK45 compact. I like them both, they fit my hand and are comfortable to hold. I have a couple of questions. I know that folks feel strongly about their choice, so what is right for you may not be for me, so these questions are for my information.
Is their any difference in the way they carry? I assume not since they are so close in size and weight, but if you know differently, please tell me.
How does the "O" ring on the HK45 hold up. I guess it does roughly the same thing as a bushing on 1911, so if it wears or tears, the barrel would flop around? Does HK throw any extra rings in the box?
How do you feel about the non standard rail on the USP? I know adopters are available to allow standard lights to be attached, but how well do they stay in place and how much weight do they add?
How do the 10 round magazines fit? Is there a gap under the grip?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to my first HK. It will be in good company with my Dan Wesson and Sig. The Glocks live here too, but I'll try not to hurt their feelings when the new guy shows up.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Own both.
Carry the same for me.
No troubles with the O-ring.
Are you planning to mount anything on the rail?
10 round mags fit both guns fine.
IMHO you're really splitting hairs between those two.
In the end it comes down to personal preference.
And like others, I ended up with both - LOL :biggrin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Own both.
Carry the same for me.
No troubles with the O-ring.
Are you planning to mount anything on the rail?
10 round mags fit both guns fine.
IMHO you're really splitting hairs between those two.
In the end it comes down to personal preference.
And like others, I ended up with both - LOL
+1 to this

Between these two guns the main difference are the ergonomics (I believe HK45c has interchangeable back straps like the P2000, right?) and the accessory rail.

You really can't go wrong with either of them.

As for the O-Rings, they have an expected life of around 20,000 rounds, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it's splitting hairs. Problem is, I like both, have a budget for one. I'm hoping for an "ah-ha" moment to decide. I did find a USP45c at a LGS for $800. I looked at it twice before he told me it was used. I can't see any wear on it. Buds has the 45c with 3 mags and night sights for about $1100 shipped. After taxes and transfer fees the difference is closer to $250. The sights and mag are probably $150, so figure maybe $100 in real money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might want to check on Gunbroker, there are closeout prices on the HK45C in sand, $749 and $10 shipping to your FFL. I had the full size and just bought the C in sand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a rail adaptor on my USP 9 full size. That thing isn't going anywhere, has no movement to it at all once it is attached and the weight added is little to none that you'll ever notice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
From what I've seen, you're not going to get any definitive answers on the HK45's/P30's vs. the USP line. Although when you're dealing with the compact versions, the HK45C does not have the modern 'batman' grip like the full-size HK45's, P30's, or VP's, so they are even more similar to the USP imo with the exception of the HK45C having a replaceable backstrap.

There is no right answer unfortunately, I know many of us seek validation of our choices in forums, but it's ultimately up to you and you won't be disappointed either way.

IF it were me though, I would likely lean towards the HK45C just because of the rails and the modifiable grip, but it's certainly all preference. The kicker is that in my area at least, the USP's run about $850 and the HK45/HK45C's run around $1,050, so that's another factor. Good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
In my opinion, pick up a stainless steel USPc .45. You can always find the hk45c later if you want to add it to your collection. Look it up at cdnn.com, they have them for $699.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
USP Compact 45 Stainless

In my opinion, pick up a stainless steel USPc .45. You can always find the hk45c later if you want to add it to your collection. Look it up at cdnn.com, they have them for $699.
+1
I bought one.
It's outstanding and a screaming good deal.
Stainless guns are limited from Hk.
This should be your "ah ha" moment...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Who makes the night sights on the HK45 LE models? Leaning toward the USP, it's a little smaller, a bit lighter, and about 125 bucks cheaper at Buds.

I appreciate the info about the deals at CDNN and Gunbroker, but I like black guns. They do matter.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Hk usually puts Meps on their LE guns.
That's what came on my P30SK LE.

If you can rent or borrow the two and shoot them that would be ideal.
Wouldn't worry about which costs more out the door.
IMHO you really need to shoot them side by side to make a choice...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts