HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock USC and am beginning the conversion process. My goal is to have a single suppressor that will quickly switch between the UMP and the Mark 23. Doing quick research this is what I'm thinking.

Suppressor with booster threaded for MK 23
8" barrel for UMP threaded for MK 23 threads

My gun shop has a UMP with a 3 lug setup that I am considering trading in the USC on (price would be about the same as if I did the conversion). I think it would be too complicated to make a lug suppressor fit the Mk23 if the adapters even exist to do so. What do you guys think?

-Dave

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
In the end I used a USC barrel that was cut and threaded so my Silencerco Osprey could be closer to the rifle than the the flange mount would put it. You can get your barrel threaded to match the thread pitch of the Mark 23 (16x1 RH). Or the Osprey has many diferent pistons available so it can go on just about any threads. My USC barrel was threaded 16x1 LH to match the threads on the HK45 ad HK45c. You will need a fixed barrel spacer with an Osprey on the UMP though.

ADCO will thread an UMP flange barrel too. I had one of those as well. I'm not sure about the 3 lug and there being enough barrel past the three lug to thread.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I went the threads on flange route, still looks like a normal UMP bbl but I can thread my can on it. One week door to door from USmachineguns.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm sort of in your position too. For me though, I'm looking at it this way. I want a serious UMP suppressor that I could make work on a pistol for kicks and gigs only. What I'm thinking is get the Gemtech UMP QD suppressor and then if I ever get the itch to put it on one of my USP's, I'll thread the ID of a shockwave flange at work, then mount the flange on the pistol. I know it isn't ideal, but I suspect 90%+ of my suppressor use will be on the USC anyways. For the type of shooting I do, a carbine suppressor is practical, a pistol suppressor is not.

Just another way of looking at it.

edit: it also provides quick switch capability from pistol -> cabine or carbine -> pistol if that's what you're in to (so long as the flange stays on the pistol)

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I'd have the 16" USC barrel cut and threaded to match the MK 23 and go with an AAC Ti-Rant 45. Win, Win situation.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd have the 16" USC barrel cut and threaded to match the MK 23 and go with an AAC Ti-Rant 45. Win, Win situation.
My next question in this scenario is what is the twist rate of the UMP barrel v.s the USC barrel and is there any ballistic advantage inside 75 yards

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Twist rate is same. No degradation of accuracy when it is cut down

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Something to keep in mind for pistol and carbine can users, pistol cans tend to be made lighter to help diminish cycling problems. Carbine cans tend to be made heavier because a carbine can tends to see heavier use. A light pistol can will never hold up to heavy use like a carbine can would, but it is so much more difficult to get a pistol to cycle, the greater the weight of the can. If you want to run a can on both a handgun and a carbine, with light use, a pistol can would seem a good choice. If you plan on heavy carbine use, especially in a full auto application, I'd think the carbine can would be the way to go.

Personally, I've had far greater luck with a 3-lug mount for 9mm and .40 caliber carbine/subgun applications. I own a sear, and mag dumps are a common occurrence. I have a Mark 23 and a SWR HEMS II can, which is thread mounted. I have to check the can on the Mark 23 after ever 12 rd mag, because it loosens up. I can dump a Beta C through a 9mm host with my Raptor, or MK9K, and never worry about the can coming loose and having a baffle strike. Good luck with your can project.

Scott

·
Registered
9 Posts
In the end I used a USC barrel that was cut and threaded so my Silencerco Osprey could be closer to the rifle than the the flange mount would put it. You can get your barrel threaded to match the thread pitch of the Mark 23 (16x1 RH). Or the Osprey has many diferent pistons available so it can go on just about any threads. My USC barrel was threaded 16x1 LH to match the threads on the HK45 ad HK45c. You will need a fixed barrel spacer with an Osprey on the UMP though.

ADCO will thread an UMP flange barrel too. I had one of those as well. I'm not sure about the 3 lug and there being enough barrel past the three lug to thread.

Awesome looking UMP. I was thinking of going the same route, cutting down a stock USC barrel and having it threaded. Hows the accuracy on it? And what is the total length of your barrel? I too was thinking of going with the Osprey, albeit with different threads, and love the look of yours especially with how close the suppressor is to the front of the UMP.

ETA: Any more pictures of your set up?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts