HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've always wanted an HK, just picked up my new P2000sk yesterday! I have a Glock 23 which I like a lot, but I wanted a 9mm again (used to have a Sig P239) and something a bit smaller for carry. Being used to Glocks I went with the LEM trigger, can't wait to try it out at the range tomorrow.

Anyway, I noticed very quickly that the right-side slide release lever was really loose. It was extremely annoying, it would rattle from just moving the gun around in the hand a bit. I looked it up and it seems like it's a relatively common thing:

HK P2000sk loose slide release - YouTube

Apparently it's not a serious problem functionally, but frankly I think this is totally unacceptable for a company with the reputation of HK and the cost of this gun. I wouldn't have an issue with this if it were on a Kel-Tec or something but this was an $830 gun, I expect a lot more from it considering this.

So anyway, one of the suggestions was to replace the levers with a slim profile type. I was immediately interested in when I heard they made such a thing, only to find out that for whatever reason HK decides to make an extremely few number of these things so it'll probably be many months until I can get my hands on them if ever.

So I did my own little fix with my heat gun and a 1/4" diameter heat shrink tube. If you don't have a heat gun I'd imagine a hair dryer can get hot enough to work too, but you can get a heat gun at Home Depot for like $15.

I think it looks pretty good for a kludge, and it completely resolves the rattling problem:

[I don't know why the image uploader isn't working, it doesn't describe the problem and when I try the link via URL option it says it's invalid even though it's not, so I'll just paste the link:]

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1109213/IMG/HK.P2000sk-FixedSlideLever.jpg

·
Registered
437 Posts
A lot of people put little bits of tape or velcro or felt pad on the inside of the lever or on the frame inside the lever to stop the little rattly noise. I put a little bit of heat-resistant grease inside the pivot hole you can see just forward of the thing you wrapped around your slide lever, but not many people liked that idea. Some have suggested removing, milling down, or changing out the right side lever. This is apparently a common characteristic of many HK pistols, and while it in no way compromises the functional integrity of the pistol, there are those whose aesthetic sensibilities are offended that such an expensive and finely crafted pistol would have such a cheap-sounding noise coming from it, and it would be nice if the manufacturer would pay a bit of attention to this oversight some time in the future.

To use the image upload tool in the reply box, you click the little image button thingy (fourth button to the right of the yellow smiley face) up above where you are typing and you get the image dialog box. You click the "From URL" tag, paste the complete address of the hosted picture in the URL box (make sure you have the complete address of the PICTURE, not the address of a LINK to the picture--you can get this by right clicking on the picture, selecting "Properties" and copying the Address URL from there if the host side does not provide the address of the picture), and UNCHECK the "Retrieve remote file" box. Then click OK, and the URL of the picture enclosed by the code brackets appears in the message. Finish and submit the post, and you should get your picture showing in the post:

·
Registered
401 Posts
That might be the best solution I've heard of yet. I'm going to very seriously look into doing this on my P2000sk. I assume you just put this heat shrink tube over the lever, like a big straw, and then apply heat until it assumes the form of the lever?

What is the texture of the lever like now? Can you get a decent grip on it to actuate it as a lever when it is fighting the pressure of the slide? If so this seems like a great solution.

Also, what is the process for removing it from the lever (or is it permanent)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of people put little bits of tape or velcro or felt pad on the inside of the lever or on the frame inside the lever to stop the little rattly noise. I put a little bit of heat-resistant grease inside the pivot hole you can see just forward of the thing you wrapped around your slide lever, but not many people liked that idea. Some have suggested removing, milling down, or changing out the right side lever. This is apparently a common characteristic of many HK pistols, and while it in no way compromises the functional integrity of the pistol, there are those whose aesthetic sensibilities are offended that such an expensive and finely crafted pistol would have such a cheap-sounding noise coming from it, and it would be nice if the manufacturer would pay a bit of attention to this oversight some time in the future.

To use the image upload tool in the reply box, you click the little image button thingy (fourth button to the right of the yellow smiley face) up above where you are typing and you get the image dialog box. You click the "From URL" tag, paste the complete address of the hosted picture in the URL box (make sure you have the complete address of the PICTURE, not the address of a LINK to the picture--you can get this by right clicking on the picture, selecting "Properties" and copying the Address URL from there if the host side does not provide the address of the picture), and UNCHECK the "Retrieve remote file" box. Then click OK, and the URL of the picture enclosed by the code brackets appears in the message. Finish and submit the post, and you should get your picture showing in the post:
Thanks, I dunno what was going on with it, when I tried to upload it it just gave a generic error icon and it kept saying the URL I was pasting was invalid even though it's not, it's the exact same link you used so I dunno what was going on.

But yeah I just don't get how it's acceptable to HK to have what seems to be a very common annoying issue, it would be sorta like if a huge number of brand new BMWs had loose fixtures in the interior and BMW just didn't care because it didn't impact functionality.

That might be the best solution I've heard of yet. I'm going to very seriously look into doing this on my P2000sk. I assume you just put this heat shrink tube over the lever, like a big straw, and then apply heat until it assumes the form of the lever?

What is the texture of the lever like now? Can you get a decent grip on it to actuate it as a lever when it is fighting the pressure of the slide? If so this seems like a great solution.

Also, what is the process for removing it from the lever (or is it permanent)?
Yes that's exactly right. It's smooth, I can actuate it but it's certainly not as easy as the non-covered side. Maybe taking some sandpaper to it would help a bit. Honestly though I'm not that worried, I'm right handed so I don't need to even use it, and after playing around with it some more I may just end up taking the right-side lever off altogether.

All you'd need to do to remove the tubing is take a razor to it and cut it off and it'd be like it was never there. You can get a little bag of heat shrink tubes at the hardware store for a few bucks so I'd say try it out and if you don't like it you can just cut it off, no biggie. That moleskin idea Username referenced may be a much better solution if you use that particular lever frequently, I considered adding something like that to it but thought it may perhaps come off so this seemed like a much more secure solution. Time will tell I suppose.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks. I was going to do the moleskin idea the next time I got to a store, but I didn't feel great about it. I like your idea. I don't ever use that lever, but I can appreciate maybe one day needing it if my right hand was disabled and I was shooting left-handed. I'll have to see how smooth it is, but if you can drop the slide with it that's probably good enough.

I don't like removing the lever, because the slide stop/take down pin that the right side lever hinges off of sticks out and looks awful, not to mention potentially snagging.

I think I'm going to try this this weekend.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My P30's don't rattle at all which is good. This would be a problem for me too as I do get a bit nervous and get the shakes when I'm sneaking up on the enemy/zombie and that slide release rattle thing would give away my position. Ever thought of using Yak Butter?
Sorry, I'm being a smart a** (can I say that on here?) Good solutions guys. Really.

·
Registered
854 Posts
This is spectacular! Innovative...resourceful...simple...cheap....I like it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my HK45 and HK45C. Easy fix for me was to cut two small pieces of black electrical tape and place on the back side of the release lever. Two pieces was the correct thickness. Issue solved.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ok I went ahead and did this tonight. Consider this a 100% endorsement. This is a better solution than I could have imagined, and the hardest part was finding the stuff at Home Depot (the heat gun was in flooring and the tubing was in electrical). I am able to easily drop the slide on a snap cap with just my left hand thumb; the tubing has a fairly rubbery texture so its not at all difficult to use.

The color match is also a lot better than ghm3's photo suggests. I think the camera flash lights up the tubing and makes it look lighter than it is. I took the liberty of taking a picture with no flash to show how closely the colors match:

Thanks again for posting this ghm3, by far the best solution I've come across so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is an amazing fix! Definitely the most creative fix I've seen.
If anyone is adventurous/skilled enough, a bic lighter can be an acceptable substitute for a heat gun. Not much skill required. I will definitely be doing this to my P2k!

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
Why not just put the heat shrink tubing between the part that your thumb touches and the pivot? This way it won't feel any different or add any overall width to the gun.

Innovative indeed, but I recently decided to put my P2000sk up for sale, mostly because I can't get over a $900 gun that rattles. I'm simply not interested in performing a band-aid (or heat-shrink) fix on a $900 gun. I'm replacing it with a glock 26 and putting the leftover money towards a USP.45 CT. That's the one thing I love about the good old USP- no stupid, annoying, useless (unless you're a lefty) ambidextrous slide release. Yes, it bothers me that bad, and no, I'm hardly OCD. It's just a matter of principle. H&K has done nothing to acknowledge the issue since they released the gun over 10 years ago. Simply not acceptable for a gun that costs this much. It just ruins it, plain and simple.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We all value different aspects of our firearms. But from a practical and strictly utilitarian perspective.
The rattle is not present when holstered and inconsequential when firing.

I'd guess that HK has heard the complaints and decided they don't warrant a design change.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah that seems a little over the top to me. You might consider keeping the P2sk and G26 at the same time for a while to make sure you don't make a mistake. I've had both and wouldn't go back. There are more differences than just the slide release. At least go with a P99c :)

As for your question, you could do it that way, absolutely. 6 of one half a dozen of the other. I think this looks a little cleaner maybe, but either way would work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm with CPShooter on being critical of HK quality. When you spend nearly double the price of another similar pistol (let's use Glock as an example), you should get a gun with impeccable fit and finish. On the P2000SK, the magazine release is a poor design that begs for replacement with a part HK already manufactures, the right-side slide release rattles on many models (thankfully not mine . . . yet), and my new left-side slide release came looking like it had two-years of holster wear. HK said heat treating the release makes coating difficult. I say do a better job of coating.

You can shrug it off by saying HK has outstanding reliability, and they do. Glockaholics say the same thing, with $400 extra in their pockets that I gave to HK. I'm not selling my P2000SK. I just expect better quality from a company that charges so much for its pistols.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't disagree. I had to sand the edges of my backstrap on my Glock because it had a very sharp edge and was causing a blister on my firing hand. No gun is perfect, and I'm willing to make small modifications to increase my satisfaction.

However, I will add that the design isn't terrible, the left side release moves independently of the right. Meaning if something was blocking the right side release, you could still use the left. If you only had one hand and were pressing the gun against your body, or the gun had been damaged, etc. The way to fix the rattle would be to link the two slide releases so they moved together, but then you would lose that independent movement. So while its a minor difference, I think the current design has a small advantage in reliability, which I suspect HK places above aesthetics.

·
Registered
890 Posts
No gun is perfect...
This...I have been able to find a "flaw" that I was admitedly OCD about on almost every gun I've owned (all of which were brand new Sigs, HKs, or Glocks)...I did the OP's fix, and it's non-existent. So I paid $900 for an HK that I had to tweak a bit to make "perfect" for me...I'd rather have my sk than 2 of any other weapon that just feel like crap in my hands and don't handle nearly as well (IMO)...for me, no comparison between even the Gen 4 G26 (which I own and kind of like) and an sk...I do not like Glock controls or ergos, therefore will never make one my primary weapon...my G26 is my vehicle gun because I know it can take the environment, and it cost me $450 less than my Sigs or HKs in the event someone wants to steal it.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
This...I have been able to find a "flaw" that I was admitedly OCD about on almost every gun I've owned (all of which were brand new Sigs, HKs, or Glocks)...I did the OP's fix, and it's non-existent. So I paid $900 for an HK that I had to tweak a bit to make "perfect" for me...I'd rather have my sk than 2 of any other weapon that just feel like crap in my hands and don't handle nearly as well (IMO)...for me, no comparison between even the Gen 4 G26 (which I own and kind of like) and an sk...I do not like Glock controls or ergos, therefore will never make one my primary weapon...my G26 is my vehicle gun because I know it can take the environment, and it cost me $450 less than my Sigs or HKs in the event someone wants to steal it.
so you paid $900 for your HK and yet your Gen4 G26 cost you $450 less than the HKs and SIGs you own? let me know where you find NIB $450 Glock G26 Gen4s.....

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
I'm with CPShooter on being critical of HK quality. When you spend nearly double the price of another similar pistol (let's use Glock as an example), you should get a gun with impeccable fit and finish. On the P2000SK, the magazine release is a poor design that begs for replacement with a part HK already manufactures, the right-side slide release rattles on many models (thankfully not mine . . . yet), and my new left-side slide release came looking like it had two-years of holster wear. HK said heat treating the release makes coating difficult. I say do a better job of coating.

You can shrug it off by saying HK has outstanding reliability, and they do. Glockaholics say the same thing, with $400 extra in their pockets that I gave to HK. I'm not selling my P2000SK. I just expect better quality from a company that charges so much for its pistols.
i hear you... just saying "well... the rattling doesn't impact functionality" is not the right answer for a subcompact polymer handgun in THAT price range.

with Glocks I accept the saying "it doesn't impact functionality" when it comes to "banana" polymer frames or bulging magazine floor plates... why? because it's a freaking $550ish gun.

I had to choose between the G26 Gen4 and the P2000SK. out of budget reasons I got the G26 Gen4 and I'm really happy with it. Even with an 12rd extended mag, holster, night-sights ... I still have plenty of $ left for extra training ammo ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts