HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am on the search for my next 9mm handgun. I have narrowed down the search to the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm full size and the HK P30. There are no local dealers who carry the P30 so I cannot try this gun in person. I have shot the M&P and love the ergonomics and the accuracy is not bad at all.

I have come here to hear from those of you who have shot or own both and what your opinions are on these weapons. This weapon will be a carry gun and a range (possibly competition) gun. I understand that we are talking about two different animals (striker action vs. DA/SA) but I am here to learn as much as I can because I am looking to buy within the next 48 hours.

I know enough about the features and ergonomics of the M&P so heres a few questions about the P30:

1. Are the finger grooves any thing like that of the glock 19 (that gun did NOT fit my hand and the finger grooves made it extremely uncomfortable, the Glock 17 fit fine though).

2. I am afraid of the trigger on this gun. From the reviews I have read it is extremely similar to that of the Sig p226 DA/SA. When I fired the p226 my follow up shots were much slower than those from a Glock or the M&P because the reset was so long even in SA mode and when firing I found the long trigger much more difficult to deal with.

3. Is this gun going to be more accurate than the M&P 9mm ?

4. To those who own both guns, is the $400 price difference worth it ?

I want to make it clear right now I am not here to start trouble. I am here to learn from your experiences. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brother you need to wait until you handle the P30! I havent fired one yet but I got to put my hands on one a few days ago at a gun shop and man did it feel good!!!! Never felt a better hand gun ever!!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've owned both and both are great pistols. The M&P has a shorter reset with the P30's being similar to the P226. If you like the M&P's ergonomics then you will love the P30's grip.

Accuracy is between the two would be up to what the shooter is comfortable with, i know that doesn't help but I think benched accuracy differences would be miniscule.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After digging deeper into this great forum I ran into more posts referring to the longer reset of this trigger. I dont know if this is something I could get over. Is there any chance of HK offering an SA trigger on this gun in the near future ?

If this thing had a short reset SA style trigger it would seal the deal for me for sure.

·
Registered
569 Posts
This pistol just came out, so I'm sure there will by some new variants out with in a few months.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You could get a P30 and have Bruce Gray lighten and smooth the trigger as well as reduce the reset.

Adding that to the cost however, might not make it worth it to you. You would have a really, really nice pistol though.

The M&P's are nice guns, I was pretty impressed with them. I've only shot one once, but I cant say there's anything I dislike about it.

About the grips on the P30? The P30 is the most comfy pistol I've ever held. It's as close to perfect as it can get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have not fired the M&P, but I now own the P30. I bought it because of the superior quality of my USP .45, and as a replacement for a CZ P-01 that cannot be made to fire reliably. While my previous experience with CZ was stellar, I have learned that you often get what you pay for. The P30 is expensive compared to the M&P, but when I held them both the difference in quality was clear. The accuracy is excellent, as I shot an offhand group that was not quite a single hole at 50 feet and at point of aim. The grip is the best I've held. It is now my primary CCW.

It's all a personal choice. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They are both good but the P30 is much more comfortable but I think the M&P has a better trigger. Try out both. The P30 is twice the cost though so you'll have to consider that.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I haven't fired a M&P but I have fired a P30. I can't say enough good things about the P30. Great grip and trigger, and the sights are also really nice. One easy shooting 9mm.

Being that the side panels on the P30 are modular as well as the backstraps there is more grip options with the P30 then the M&P. You could also think of it this way, with the P30 you are getting those unique night sights where as a stock M&P has no night sights of any kind. Tritium night sights will add about $100 onto the cost of the M&P, so the price difference is not as large if you factor this in. You also can't have the "super luminova" sights on the P30 put onto a M&P at any price, they don't exist. Perosonally I think night sights are a must have for any gun you intend to carry and the ones on the P30 are really nice.

The M&P looks good but it seems like it's just S&W's take on a Glock minus the "weird" grip angle all you guys seem to hate and complain about so much. :D

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
All I can say is that the P30 feels nothing like the G19 I have both. The P30 feels much better in the hand then the G19 does

·
Registered
13 Posts
1. Og where are you located, maybe I can help with the handling of a P30.

2. Please don't compare these two pistols, it's like comparing an S class benz and a hyundai. While you may be happy with the M&P initially, I think once you see the difference in quality of the HK, you will be sold. We are talking apples and watermelons here! :20:

·
Registered
373 Posts
You really do need to check the M&P forum. Folks are still experiencing problems with the M&P mag catch that is causing mags to drop while firing and accelerated wear on the catch itself. This does not come under the heading of "stuff happens" but is a repetitive problem in more than a few guns - how many? Hard to tell. I think in time, the problem hopefully will be taken care of but for now, a word of caution is advised. (Over 20 percent of those who responded to a poll at the M&P site indicated they have experienced problems with mags dropping and some owners have had to send their guns to S&W multiple times to address the same problem.) Other than that, the M&P is a nice gun with great ergonomics but IMHO it cannot hold a candle to the HK. And for now, you stand a better chance of getting a reliable out of the box HK vs. an M&P.

HK is quality personified. You could argue whether its high price is justified (or we're just paying for a weak dollar) but having owned the M&P (two in fact and both had to be sent back to the factory for service, both are now gone) and an HK P2000, there is quite difference in overall fit, function, and attention to detail.

My next gun will be an HK P30.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but the M&P is essentially a Sigma internally, just the outside look and ergonimocs have been retooled.

As someone who works full time in a gun store/range, I handle the guns every day several times a day, and I'm not convinced that the trigger on the M&P is any better than the standard USP trigger...the reset on the M&P has about the same length of travel as the SA on the USP.

I personally don't care for the reset on it because the two or three I've shot have had extremely hard resets, so much so that they make my trigger finger sore after firing less than 100 rounds.

Granted, I've yet to even handle, much less shoot a P30 (I'm currently incarcerated in the Liberalist Commonwealth of Commiefornia) but I know the M&P that we had on our range lasted for less than 5 months before the thing became completely useless.

For my money, If you're going to even contemplate spending around the M&P price range you're better off picking up a Glock or a Beretta Px4. IMHO of course.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'll throw another gun out there....it's a shame more folks aren't familiar with the Walther P99, IMHO the sleeper of all sleepers when it comes to polymer guns. 'Same basic price point as the M&P but with no known issues (I am also partial to the P99's AS trigger). It's been out for a while, all the bugs have been worked out, and though I have not handled a P30 yet, it (the Walther) has the best ergonomics of any polymer gun I've touched. Whether it be the more expensive all-German P99 or the hybrid S&W slide/German made frame P99, it is an exceptional gun. It's a shame it is not more aggressively marketed in the US. I think it is a better weapon than the M&P (for now).

·
Registered
402 Posts
I just looked at the P99AS vs P30 this past weekend. I've got to say, the P99 is pretty nice, but I sighted slightly high on it every time, not Glock-high, but not quite as natural as any of my HK's, and they have tiny dots on the sights (fixable of course). That said, it did feel pretty dang nice for something in the 560 dollar range. So, I was like....hmmm, maybe I'll get a full sized 9 Walther (as that's kind of why I went to the show). Then...I handled the P30. Holy comfortable, natural grips Batman. Unreal. BLEW the Walther away. It was like tailor made for ME! So now...I'm just waiting for a P30 LEM.

Go handle a P30....you'll LOVE it. I mean...really...you'll be in love...with an inanimate object!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Frankly, I don't believe this is even a remotely fair comparison. SW vs HK. You're pulling my leg right?

The P30 is the ultimate in new pistol technology since the G17. IMO
You'd be better off with a Glock than a SW.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I lost a bundle when I traded in my M&P for the a Walther P99 but it was worth it as the Walther has turned out to be a stellar performer. I have full confidence in the Walther not so with the M&P and I would not carry it. Now I intend to get a P30, a gun in an entirely different league. My point was that in the M&P price range ($500-600) IMHO there are better options, the Walther P99 being one.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts