HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought there was a thread already here regarding M27 engraving, but can't seem to find it (or I'm remembering incorrectly). I'm trying to confirm any differences between a 416 "roll mark" and engravings versus a M27. Looking at Marine0303's thread here, it appears the only two differences on the lower receiver are the "M27" and "Ashburn, VA" versus "Sterling, VA" (if that's applicable to what you're trying to recreate).

Am I missing any other specifics? Also, is the "M27" in the same position as the "HK 416" markings? I'm assuming it's the same font as "HK 416," correct?

As for the upper receiver, does anyone have the measurement for how far back the "USMC 172-xxxxxx" mark is from the cam pin "bulge?" I already have a BA (I think it is) marked HK upper receiver, so I figured I'd add a serial number on that, while I'm doing this. I know the serial won't match the lower (thanks, PWS), but at least it's a nice touch to add.

I called San Antonio today and they say they can do the M27 engraving, but I want to make sure I'm asking for exactly what should be correct (as best they can, anyway).

Appreciate any pointers.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Here's an M27 I did. It matches (most) pics of genuine M27's I found on the internet. But as always with HK, there isn't one "correct" marking. The height of the serial and the M27 marking are the same as on all 416's. The M27 serial on the lower starts more or less from the middle of the hammer pin. Size is the same as on the upper but a little more condensed than the standard 416 serials.

As a heads-up, the engraving files floating around are not 100% correct. It's the wrong font, you can see it on the upstroke of the 1 and some more subtle places. It doesn't look like it but all markings on all 416/M27/417/(Euro) MR use the same font, serials, date codes, warning and caliber markings, all the same font. And now sit down. It's not some proprietary fancy font, it's f&%ç"* Arial. Yes, you read that right.

The caliber markings are just more condensed. It's not a fixed % of condensed. HK uses a fixed size box for it, the longer the writing, the more condensed it gets. Same for the date codes, a BH date code is more condensed than a AI date code. If you compare the caliber markings on the HK416F where the Cal. is missing the letters and numbers are less condensed but it's also Arial.

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Hilarious! Glad someone figured it out. You've been great about sharing all of this with us. Thank You!

""all markings on all 416/M27/417/(Euro) MR use the same font, serials, date codes, warning and caliber markings, all the same font. And now sit down. It's not some proprietary fancy font, it's f&%ç"* Arial. Yes, you read that right."

The caliber markings are just more condensed. It's not a fixed % of condensed. HK uses a fixed size box for it, the longer the writing, the more condensed it gets. Same for the date codes, a BH date code is more condensed than a AI date code. If you compare the caliber markings on the HK416F where the Cal. is missing the letters and numbers are less condensed but it's also Arial.

View attachment 274038

View attachment 274040

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, @SwissCollector. And your other thread shows you did some really nice work. It looks like I'm not going to do the USMC serials now, as my upper already has a 88- serial there, so even if I put a dummy serial on the lower, it's going to look weird and not match the upper. I'll just live with the Brownell's serial and the original 416 88- serial.

I remember you pointing out the Arial font before, but forgot about that, so thanks for the reminder. I'll add it to my request sheet. I think the "H & K GmbH..." markings that San Antonio Laser does is not Arial, which I notice when comparing it to online pics.

One other good thing about this thread is it made me go back and double check and realize that the "Warning...." on the front of the magwell shouldn't be there. So one less thing to engrave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.