HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of these 13 round mags that state on the left side of the mag "Heckler & Koch" and under that it states "Made in Germany". There are no date codes, are these pre-ban? Or is there no way to tell.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have one of these 13 round mags that state on the left side of the mag "Heckler & Koch" and under that it states "Made in Germany". There are no date codes, are these pre-ban? Or is there no way to tell.
No way to tell that I know of but since there is no ban anymore why is it significant?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in a ban State. I have one mag that has 6/94 on it, not a problem. I saw one advertised with the "Made in Germany".

·
Registered
854 Posts
If you are in a Ban State 10-rounders only sir...pre or post ban does not matter on magazines....I'm guessing NY or Kaliforniastan

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
It really is absurd. Hence you see people freely selling and buying "repair kits", which are basically nothing more than every component of a magazine disassembled, and sold in parts.

So in essence they are buying, selling, and importing these restricted magazines, but at the same time they aren't, because technically they are just repair parts for existing magazines they already own.

As Tater referenced, most of the laws are just stuff that make certain people feel good, or makes something look good, when it has no bearing on the actual reality. The TSA comes to mind. ;)

"Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Bloomberg, I can't buy a 32 ounce soda? I'll take 4 of the 16 ounce sodas please.

"I can't have a standard capacity magazine that holds 12 rounds? Ok, I'll keep 2 or 3 spare 10 rounds mags on my belt instead of one twelve round mag."

So on and so forth.

As to the OP, there's no way to tell if it's Pre-ban or not in that specific unmarked case, but on the other hand, there's no way to tell it isn't either.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
Thanks for the link! I love reading this stuff...makes me realize as screwy as Iowa is we are lightyears ahead of Kalifroniastan....

Id still say stick with 10 rounders...since obscure exceptions are unlikely to be common knowledge with the boys in blue
yeah... I'd be very careful with these kind of exceptions.... most LEOs probably never heard of them. Ohhh... and nothing screams .45 ACP louder than a 10 rd magazine restriction ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are in a Ban State 10-rounders only sir...pre or post ban does not matter on magazines....I'm guessing NY or Kaliforniastan
No, I live in MA. As long as you have a Class A LTC you can legally posses hi cap mags. The problem is they have to be mfg prior to 9/94.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
No, I live in MA. As long as you have a Class A LTC you can legally posses hi cap mags. The problem is they have to be mfg prior to 9/94.
I get it now but that begs the question......If you can't tell when they were made how can the magazine police? Who has the burden of proof in this scenario?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I get it now but that begs the question......If you can't tell when they were made how can the magazine police? Who has the burden of proof in this scenario?
My curiosity has the better of me also...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am sure 99.9% of the PD's in MA do not know the difference either. My sense is that the only time this would ever be an issue would be in the commission of a crime. When you see the arrest on TV the charges are possesion of high cap mags without a license, I have never heard a bad guy getting busted for possesion of pre ban high cap mags.
Like the comment above, curiosity has the better of me as well.

·
Registered
854 Posts
My only concern would be in an SD situation..."the man" isn't always willing to let stuff slide...I would also be wary since typically its not what you know its what you can prove; and LEOs can make a pretty strong case against that particular SNAFU...

Have you contacted a local PD or ATF office and made some inquiry?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't ask local PD for advice on that (I live in MA). They aren't very helpful. Some may be but most do not know the laws themselves. The biggest argument is that you cannot prove they are pre ban. Unfortunately it is best to take the safer but less desirable route.

I wouldn't get rid of it but I wouldn't carry it or use it at the range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, I wouldn't carry a questionable mag, only one that I am sure of. My gun club is in "Live Free or Die" N.H., I do not feel uneasy bringing it up there to shoot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts