HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie HK-45 Owner here. Breaking my LEM Model with Robar NP3+ in for Duty carry and yes i have read and seen on youtube that you need to keep a finger tight under the mag release so it doesnt activate when shooting. I am left handed but assume this occurence can happen to both since ambi release. My question is do they make a Stiffer spring i can install for the mag release as the current one is way too light for me? Thanks guys, Heading to the range today to Qualify with her.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Putting in a stiffer spring might fix the symptom, but its not fixing the problem. I'm not aware of a stiffer spring from HK, but I doubt you'd have a problem finding a stiffer spring that would fit from a hardware store.

Fixing the problem is usually a better solution. If you post pictures of your grip, you might be able to receive some pointers from others.

Even if you're keeping your finger tight under the mag release, if your grip has a deficiency then the gun is probably rotating in your hand leaving the mag release without a finger tight underneath of it. Also, your thumbs shouldn't be anywhere near the mag release to activate it....even in recoil. But if the gun is rotating enough to not have your finger underneath the mag release (evidenced by you dropping mags) then it's also pretty obvious that your thumbs could be activating the mag release.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you show me a picture or video link of a proper grip please. This is my first HK and I dont want my mag flying out in a firefight? i am a lefty. Thanks Gents. And my thumb is not activating it i think it is my trigger finger. only happened a few times but made me nervous.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
http://i.pgu.me/xQTUzGuA_original.jpg

This is photo Doddste posted in the flying brass photo challenge, its what I used to fix my grip. I hope its okay that I linked straight to the photo instead of the thread.
that's the exact grip I'm using... but I have small hands and had the same mag drop problem with the HK45 and HOT +P .45 ammo

I cut the left side mag release down to "normal" size with a dremel and the problem went away.
IMHO the huge paddle mag releases are a design flaw... they are VERY sensitive and due to their size and location can be activated easily. under no circumstances should a combat gun EVER drop a magazine accidentally. regardless how strong or weak the grip is.
there are a multitude of possible scenarios where a soldier is forced to shoot one handed with a less than perfect grip (injury, wounded and and and) ... a mag drop is the last thing you need. as bad (or worse) than a jam. "fix your grip" is not the best answer....

if the HK45 would have been subjected to military trials that issue would have come up sooner or later and HK would have fixed the mag release in no time. I know they love their mag release location but there's also a reason why most other manufacturers have the mag release NOT there. different is not always better.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The only people I ever see having issues with the HK45 is ones with tiny little hands. They either have issues with the mag release or the little groove behind the trigger. Personally if i were stuck with hands on the smaller side I would be pissed since the HK45 full size is my favorite.

·
1,023 Posts
The only people I ever see having issues with the HK45 is ones with tiny little hands. They either have issues with the mag release or the little groove behind the trigger. Personally if i were stuck with hands on the smaller side I would be pissed since the HK45 full size is my favorite.
no worries. obviously ALL u.s. army soldiers have larger than average hands so this wouldn't have been an issue in military trials ;)

for not being a very commonly owned gun, there are plenty of mag drop videos on youtube.....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Texas,

I totally agree that a gun shouldn't be demanding of a user when the chips are down. For instance, "limp-wristing" is not an acceptable reason for a semi-auto pistol to malfunction....because, I mean come on, we all know that when you're grappling with someone you'll always have a perfect, rock-steady 2 hand grip, right?

I just see this issue as different. The videos I'm seeing online are people that literally do not know how to hold a gun. It's not a matter of having an awesome, rock-steady grip. From everything I've seen, and from firing an HK45, it's a matter of knowing how to hold a gun correctly. I know others that have experienced this feel the same way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUmvYnEGoUA&feature=related

ETA: Incorrectly holding a gun can also drop a mag on a push-button mag release as well......and yeah, I've seen that happen tons of times. So in my experience, it's not an issue that's even specific to the HK45.

·
1,023 Posts
Texas,

I totally agree that a gun shouldn't be demanding of a user when the chips are down. For instance, "limp-wristing" is not an acceptable reason for a semi-auto pistol to malfunction....because, I mean come on, we all know that when you're grappling with someone you'll always have a perfect, rock-steady 2 hand grip, right?

I just see this issue as different. The videos I'm seeing online are people that literally do not know how to hold a gun. It's not a matter of having an awesome, rock-steady grip. From everything I've seen, and from firing an HK45, it's a matter of knowing how to hold a gun correctly. I know others that have experienced this feel the same way: HK45 Mag Drop Fix - YouTube

ETA: Incorrectly holding a gun can also drop a mag on a push-button mag release as well......and yeah, I've seen that happen tons of times. So in my experience, it's not an issue that's even specific to the HK45.
fair point... but the problem is: i KNOW how to hold a gun and even with a perfect grip AND hot .45 ammo occasionally i did somehow touch the paddle mag release during recoil. I have very small hands though and the issue only happened with +P .45 ammo. never with standard pressure rounds.

or the other way round? what are the advantages of such huge mag releases? the Beretta FS92 and the SIG P226 won their contracts for the military without these and I haven't heard PD's asking Glock for changing their mag release and make it HK45 size....

I still think the whole mag release thing is this stubborn, souther-german, over-engineering attitude with a engineer screaming "NEIN!!! Das mus so sein!! das ist besser!" (=No! It HAS to be that way! It's superior!!)... I was born and raised in that region and working with the engineering department wasn't exactly fun ;)

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Friend of mine had the same problem. I watched him shoot. Turns out he was putting too much finger across the trigger, or his super long fingers led him to operating the trigger past the first pad of his trigger finger. Consequently, the excess finger tip which was past the trigger was hitting the mag release once he pressed the trigger all the way back. So, like you (OP) it was not his support hand or thumb, it was his trigger finger. He wouldn't let me cut his finger off at the first knuckle, so he basically had to retrain himself to press the trigger with the first pad of his trigger finger, which he should have been doing all along. So, for him it was a training issue.

As for the other suggestions regarding the actual mag release. I like it, i find it much faster than a traditional button type release, and i don't have to adjust my grip to use the paddle style release like I have to do with traditional button style releases. I just hit the paddle release with my trigger finger. But that's just my opinion, and didn't LAV and Hackethorn design the HK45, as far as I know they aren't stubborn Germans? There is not doubt that some don't like the paddle style release, but for me it works...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Fix your grip and the gun will be fine.
Yes siiiiiirr. Only gun I had issues with grip, was my P2000 and I corrected my grip. I'd hit the slide release on accident. Never had the issue with my P30 or P2kSK, odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have small hands and never had this problem when I had my HK45 so I'm not so convinced that small hands = mag drops. One thing to check out on your grip is your weak hand index finger. If it's anywhere near the mag release you may be really clamping down when working against the recoil of the +p ammo. So much so that you're catching the release during recoil. It's just a theory but something to consider. Try shooting strong hand only for a while and see if the issue disappears.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have smaller hands also, but my big thing is that I have what is called hammer head thumbs. Kinda looks like a big toe!! Anyway, I use HK for the paddle mag release for this reason. On a button style release like on a glock or sig, I have to rotate the pistol so that I can push the button to do a mag change. With the HK, I just use my finger. Grown to love my HKs for other reasons, but thats what started my addiction! Never dropped a mag on accident with my HK45 or P30. I like the rear mounted decocker on the P30 for the same reasons also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok went and Qualified and myself and 2 others one being a fellow Jarhead and rangemaster all had the same problem with occassional mag dump. What we discovered is just what LCSO said too much finger on the trigger. When we switched to just using the Tip of the trigger finger problem solved.

Has nothing to do with the Grip, hand Size, blah blah blah. I still want a Stiffer Mag release Spring. This is the only thing i hate about this gun. Otherwise it shoots beautifully and right out of the box with no practice shot a 233 out of 250.

Just Use The Tip ! "Thats what She Said"

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
But that's just my opinion, and didn't LAV and Hackethorn design the HK45, as far as I know they aren't stubborn Germans?
Yes, but they didn't have input on the Karl Nill designed grip. LAV and Hackathorn's input was using the P2000 frame, which was kept for the HK45c as they had specified. HK went ahead and called up Karl Nill Grips for design of the P30 grip which was used for the fullsize HK45. So you can't say that LAV and Hackathorn are responsible for the HK45 or P30 grip/mag release.

Source: Interview with LAV and Ken Hackathorn, pistol-training.com » HK45 Interview with Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers

·
1,023 Posts
But that's just my opinion, and didn't LAV and Hackethorn design the HK45, as far as I know they aren't stubborn Germans? There is not doubt that some don't like the paddle style release, but for me it works...
Quote: "Vickers and Ken Hackathorn were both intimately involved in the design of the HK45 as consultants and much of the improved ergonomics of the pistol is due to their recommendations."

involved as (paid) consultants.... they did NOT design the HK45 but offered advice and recommendations instead. smart move from HK to give their potential military trial gun some U.S. military credibility and get some advice. however, i doubt that both of them were sitting behind the engineers for months in Oberndorf and watching each CAD drawing.....

in the end it's all about marketing as well. and I bet HK paid both pretty well to have them go around and endorse the gun that much....

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
One more thing to check: Did Robar treat the mag-catch with NP3+ also? If so, that would make it MUCH more slippery. If that is the case, then I would carefully sand off the NP3+ from the catch engagement surface (no rounded edges). After sanding, do not polish, but leave it a little rough/grippy. You can always go back and hit it with finer & finer grit if needed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts