HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came upon a couple "factory" standard capacity uspc40 / p2000 40 mags. I found the floorplate to be made of a soft rubber material, rather than the hard plastic found on my HK LE mags. The stamped markings on the side of the mag are the same as my LE mags but the floorplate is without the "HK" logo and is marked:

"P2000 .40
USP 40 C".

Are these factory mags/floorplates? If someone has a pic of a the markings on a standard cap, non-LE mag, they could post that would be great. Thanks in advance.

regards

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I believe the earlier floorplates are the hard plastic, and the later ones are the shock absorbing but less durable, soft rubber padded floorplate. Both are factory HK, there are mixed opinions about which is better.

It was changed about the time the P2000 came out, I believe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe the earlier floorplates are the hard plastic, and the later ones are the shock absorbing but less durable, soft rubber padded floorplate. Both are factory HK, there are mixed opinions about which is better.
I am rather concerned about the softer plastic.

I'm a fan of polymer pistols for CCW for weight and sweat resistance, but soft plastics always seem to degrade and become brittle quicker than harder formulation plastics- at least from what I've read researching the matter.

I've got some similiar soft plastic parts for skis that were 20 years old, and I could break them apart with my hand. They had minimal UV exposure, and were kept in a basement when not in use, but they degraded and fell apart.

Though it's doubtful the HK formulation was the same as my ski hardware, the soft formulation is what concerns me for longevity.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Can't make everyone happy no matter what. When they were hard plastic people complained about them breaking when they were dropped on concrete, so they started making them of softer plastic to satisfy that crowd and now people are concerned about them degrading. I swear, HK cannot win for losing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I appreciate the all the info. I guess these are factory mags after all. The person I purchased them from sounded trustworthy, I was just a little concerned since the floorplates weren't the hard plastic. Thanks again folks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You will find a unique characteristic of HK is they change markings every so often just to keep us talking about it. The grip side panel logos are another common topic of discussion. I know what you're referring to concerning the mags, I have some LE and civilian low cap mags, they have different markings I believe on the side and bottom of the floorplate as well. Some are marked HK, while others may not be, I would not worry too much about them.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The material is not "rubber", it is almost a blend of polymer and other materials. I switched all floorplates to the 'rubberized' ones based on availability.

The older hard plastic ones when dropped on concrete for fast reloads, scratches up easily or may even crack. The new 'rubberized' ones are very tough. I scratched at one with a skewer to mark it with a number, then when I came back to it, the number disappeared. I had to scramble to figure out which was which since the ID markings disappeared.

I wish Hk could even put that material on other parts of the gun's frame. They already do on the back of the LEM hammers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forgive the revival of an extremely old thread but it's relevant.
So after getting home today, I took off my P2000SK and noticed a big chip missing from the forward leading edge of the magazine base plate. I was carrying the flush fit (non-finger rest) type by the way. Upon further inspection, another piece crumbled away as soon as I touched it. Basically the softer rubber part of the floor plate is falling apart. I can easily dig my fingernail in to it and "slice" it. The harder plastic upper part of the floor plate is fine however.

I then went to the safe and check all of my other HK mags. All are fine except for the ones that have this softer rubber part. Even the extended ones are now soft to the point of crumbling. Thank God I only have 2 flush fit and 2 extended for the SK that are affected.

To their credit, all of these floor plates are pretty old as the two extended plates came with the gun. I ordered the other two as soon as they were available after purchasing the weapon way back when it first came out.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Can the older hard plastic style be had anymore?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts