HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fondling the Walthers (PPS & PPQ) and H&Ks (P2000sk & USPc) at Cabela's the other day and noticed how Walther & H&K take different approaches to the mag release. Walther's mechanism is extended (on the PPQ anyway) such that one only has to drop down a finger anywhere on the bottom portion of the trigger guard to release the mag. It also isn't stiff. I really like it...

The H&Ks do not use a full length mechanism and instead use a nub (for lack of a better term) that is actually *behind* the trigger. As a result, I found it rather awkward to bend my finger *backward* a bit to engage it. To make matters worse, the mechanism was stiff. I can see how the stiffness would loosen up over time but the location would still be a bit awkward.

Do you think H&K will ever change their mag release to one more similar to Walther's?

I still want a P2000sk, by the way, so don't call me a troll.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
But the great thing, you can add the extended mag release to the SK and USPc to make them larger. Yes, the nubs are annoying on the SK and USPc, but manageable with training. As for the PPQ, if you are trained on the HK, then transitioning to the 'Q' is easy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
But the great thing, you can add the extended mag release to the SK and USPc to make them larger. Yes, the nubs are annoying on the SK and USPc, but manageable with training. As for the PPQ, if you are trained on the HK, then transitioning to the 'Q' is easy.
Yeah, I think I actually prefer the extended mag release on the USPc over the Walther releases. I find the Walther releases to be a bit narrow, and on the PPS sometimes I catch my finger on the trigger guard. But I have very little trigger time behind Walthers, so it's something that I'd probably get used to... maybe I need to get a PPQ just to be sure... ;)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Just to be clear you know gt is talking about the extended mag release found on the HK45c's. I have them on both my USPc's and they make a great gun better. Much better than what come's on them stock.The Time it took to change the mag release a couple minute's at most.

This coming from a guy who like's his gun's stock as possible The part is in and out of stock on HKPart's.net. You probably know but i was just checking and not assuming. Get you a sk and a ext. mag release then the good time's roll...

AUSTINGUY23, here is a great link with pic.'s,
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...ifference-does-extended-mag-release-make.html

·
Registered
311 Posts
I never had an issue with either my 1st generation P99, USPc, or P7M8, and all three had smaller mag releases than the HK45c or PPQ.

As far as which is better between the PPQ or HK45c, one is longer while one is wider. I don't think I could call either of them better than the other in a "vs." thread. Preference will decide which is better. The best IMO would be whoever is the first to combine the two, and make a long and wide mag release. The way I see it, there is almost no way to unintentionally release the mag on a pistol with this style lever release (unlike a push button), so why not make them bigger?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just curious, does the extended mag release affect a kydex holster fit? Say a comptac Mtac? Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade if it works with the holsters!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Agreed. I read a review in a magazine, want to say Guns and Ammo, but the guy reviewing the PPQ said if you're grip on a PPQ is awkward you could potentially press the mag release on accident. All comes down to training. If you're familiar with HK mag release, then like gtmtnbiker98 said, transition will be easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have an sk that I carry in an MTAC, and just put the extended mag release on it. No fit issues or binding what-so-ever. Fits and works perfectly on the draw and re-holster. There is more clearance between the gun and the kydex than you think. While the extended release is a HUGE improvement over the stock release, it does not take up that much more holster space, i.e. the width difference between the 2 is minimal.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Just curious, does the extended mag release affect a kydex holster fit? Say a comptac Mtac? Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade if it works with the holsters!
I have never had an issue with the extended mag release fitting in my kydex holster.
It fits perfect. A worthwhile upgrade if you are able to purchase an extended mag release when they are available.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The H&Ks do not use a full length mechanism and instead use a nub (for lack of a better term) that is actually *behind* the trigger. As a result, I found it rather awkward to bend my finger *backward* a bit to engage it.
Well if you shoot two handed like the rest of the pistol shooting world, you'll quickly realize that the HK mag release was designed to use the thumb of the support hand to engage the mag-release to drop the mag.
It's by far the fastest mag release system I've ever seen, OR used.

The small mag release however can be quite annoying on some models.
If you like the USP, the earlier models have much larger mag release levers from the factory.

·
Registered
278 Posts
OP
I prefer the HK 45C style mag release over the Walther mag release the Walther release cannot be utilized while the handgun is still holstered and we run a HOT range during our IDPA and PAL events ( mag changes to top off handgun while holstered during match but not while actually shooting ) I wish it were like the HK myself.
The Walther mag release also seems flimsy to me the forward portion is quite thin and seems it could be prone to failure it's not as bullet proof as the HK IMO.
I upgraded my P2000SK to the extended 45C release it is a major improvement very positive release, requiring much less force / effort to release the magazine.
GOTURBACK

·
Registered
311 Posts
Agreed. I read a review in a magazine, want to say Guns and Ammo, but the guy reviewing the PPQ said if you're grip on a PPQ is awkward you could potentially press the mag release on accident.
I can't imagine what kind of grip would cause this. Did he explain?

The Walther mag release also seems flimsy to me the forward portion is quite thin and seems it could be prone to failure it's not as bullet proof as the HK IMO.
I've never heard of one breaking, and they've been using the same mag release since 2004 on the P99, so this isn't really an issue in my opinion, and the fact that the mag release can't be activated while holstered was always a positive feature to me. You could always slide it out of the holster a half-inch if necessary.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Personally, and this could be the teacher in me coming out, but I strongly dislike the Walther mag-release: I feel your finger has to be way too close to the trigger to activate it, and that's not a desirable trait I want in a firearm.

Quick Question: Just bought an HK45c and I've heard they should come with the extended mag release. However, compared to pictures I've seen... it seems to have the small style mag release.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
OP
I prefer the HK 45C style mag release over the Walther mag release the Walther release cannot be utilized while the handgun is still holstered and we run a HOT range during our IDPA and PAL events ( mag changes to top off handgun while holstered during match but not while actually shooting ) I wish it were like the HK myself.
I upgraded my P2000SK to the extended 45C release it is a major improvement very positive release, requiring much less force / effort to release the magazine.
GOTURBACK
Depending on the holster, most HK's can't release the mag while holstered, either. As for the flimsy mag release on the Walther, I fail to see this during training.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Quick Question: Just bought an HK45c and I've heard they should come with the extended mag release. However, compared to pictures I've seen... it seems to have the small style mag release.
It DOES have the extended mag release. No other mag releases can fit right on that gun. Take a pic and prove me wrong. :wink:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Depending on the holster, most HK's can't release the mag while holstered, either. As for the flimsy mag release on the Walther, I fail to see this during training.
Most of the holsters that I currently have allow for access to the mag release while holstered I am sure that some may not.
Milt Sparks BN55 P2000SK no problem
High Noon hideaway P2000SK no problem
High Noon public secret HK45C no problem
Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy HK45C No Access.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts