HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who use their HK for EDC, do you carry the full magazine +1 in the chamber (eg: 15 + 1)?
Manufacturers used to advertise capacity as 15+1 but I do not see that anymore.
It doesn't seem to cause any problems to carry this way--probably a moot point, but what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I "top off" the magazine on any semi-auto I carry. Always have. Never a negative result. Others may have different experiences.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, I carry a loaded firearm.

Theres a lot of information out there on "carrying conditions" and their pros and cons. Check it out and make an informed decision. I, choose to carry as many bullets as my firearm can hold, no matter the firearm.

Are you hesitant to carry a round in the chamber?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nope, not hesitant at all. I also choose to carry as many bullets in my firearm as it can hold. Just wondering how many people insert the full magazine on a closed slide, since there is a little resistance for the last 1/8 inch or so of insertion. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, and have never seen it deform the top bullet.
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nope, not hesitant at all. I also choose to carry as many bullets in my firearm as it can hold. Just wondering how many people insert the magazine on a closed slide, since there is a little resistance for the last 1/8 inch or so of insertion. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, and have never seen it deform the top bullet.
Thanks for your input!
I always load from the magazine and add another to the mag...
except..... for my P30sk mags, I read on the forum here about swapping the base plate from other mags to get 11 in the magazine. Well, I cut 1/8th inch off the top of the base plate on my P30sk mags which allows the loading of 11. I load to 11 and cycle the slide. Leaves 10 in the mag so I don't over stress the mag. This way just makes it easier (for me) to manage getting into condition 2

But yes, I insert the full mag on a closed slide and cycle the slide

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have been carrying the +1 for 40 years in dozens of different pistols and have yet to have any problem from doing so.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nope, not hesitant at all. I also choose to carry as many bullets in my firearm as it can hold. Just wondering how many people insert the full magazine on a closed slide, since there is a little resistance for the last 1/8 inch or so of insertion. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, and have never seen it deform the top bullet.
Thanks for your input!

Gotcha!

I dont think id carry a gun that couldnt accept a fully loaded mag without damaging the cartridges it held.

A "tactical reload", as you may know, is changing mags in your firearm with one still in the chamber. This seems to be taught universally as an acceptable practice.

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
you'll notice HK magazines have a little "give" left after you put the last round in them. This is done to ensure there's not too much pressure on the gun when a fully topped off mag is inserted. This is especially noticeable with the HK45, in which you can sometimes fit 11 rounds in the magazine. If you compare this to some other manufacture's magazines you will see what I am talking about. some magazines have a max capacity that requires you just absolutely cram the last round in, resulting in the mag base plate bulging, and makes fully seating the full topped off mag difficult, or at least requires more specific force to seat.

Some instructors suggest you not top off your mag, and some suggest you run your mags 1 round light if they do not have the ability to compress when fully loaded. I don't know about all that, as I find comfort in the way my HK magazines were designed (which built in compression when fully loaded).

So, that said, go ahead and top off your HK magazines, they were specifically designed to be topped off, and still easily and reliably seat in the gun.

Another thing of note, you should always load your chambered round via the magazine and cycling the action, not dropping it into the open chamber.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have always carried my gun topped off.

Not having a round chambered could get you killed in a really bad situation.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i don't . i carry 8 in my USPc 45 one in the pipe 7 in the mag, cocked and locked with 1 spare mag and a BUG . i rotate weekly , all mags are numbered . if i'm hanging out in memphis i'll throw one of my UF. AK's under the seat are my g19 gen3 with 2 or 3 33 rd mags . yes its that bad . but down here or visiting the suburbs i'm fine , i think FBI stats show most gun fights end with 3 rds fired .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts