HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey HKPro-natics! [lol sounds like one of them men's ED meds]

Curious to hear from fellow members as to how many magazines you folks 'need' in your life. I have other brands pistols and have at least 4 magazines for each pistol. Just recently picked up two more for my P30 (now have 4) and for some un-gawdly reason I feel the need to buy maybe 1 or two more. Do I need to check my self in at the local mag-addiction clinic?

What's your mag count?

·
Registered
102 Posts
HK mags have a reputation for being overpriced. I try really hard to shop around for good deals (online, gun shows, etc). I would not get too crazy with stocking up on mags unless they come at a reasonable price (less than $40). For example, for my USP .45, I have 12 mags simply because I found a really good deal on them. 12 is definitely excessive though. On the other hand, I only have the two factory mags for my P30L simply because they are pretty difficult to find (currently) for a reasonable price, and virtually everyone is sold out of them (10rd.). If money was not a factor, I would probably have a dozen mags per gun. Practically speaking, I do not see any reason to have more than 6 mags per gun. That's just my .02 though. Happy Hunting.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll be content when i have enough magazines for every pistol to load a case of ammo per gun. Currently I have 10 for my USP45, 7 for my USP9c, and a shameful 3 for my USP9.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
With the crazy prices of hk mags, i only have 4 for each gun, p30, ump 9mm, ump 45 & mp5. If i sold them all at todays prices i could almost hk 45c!!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ideally I like to have 14 per gun. Reason being..one in the gun and 10 spares for the range, then one in the gun and 2 spares for carry that don't get used more than a function check. It's excessive I know, but I don't like loading mags when I should be shooting. It's certainly expensive when I have more money tied up in mags than most my friends do in their weapon all together.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think one would have at least 6 to 8 for each pistol. 10 if it is your only gun. I do have one pistol that has only 4 but that is a Ruger LCP that sees limited use when wearing shorts in the summer in Phoenix.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Six magazines per pistol minimum and more for pistols used for serious purposes. A semiauto pistol with out magazines is a single shot weapon. Magazines can break or "be left behind". There is also the specter of bans or magazine capacity restrictions. If it occurred once, it could occur again. I will never forget the AWB of 1994 when I saw pre-ban. full capacity Glock magazines sell for $125. HK magazines can be found at good prices. P30 magazines are in short supply until another shipment arrives from Germany. When in stock Mike at Cross Creek Guns sells P30 magazines for only $31 shipped so check his site often. Being an election year the buying spree for anything in firearms is on so if you have the need and opportunity, buy it. Bill

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See, I'm so glad I posted my inquiry and apologize if it's been previously covered. Those replied have shed a great amount of reasoning to your mag collection and makes a whole lotta sense.

I may come across a cheap a$$ but hear me out: if I pre-loaded range rounds prior to heading to the range wouldn't that equate to shooting more rounds? Having less mags would MAKE me slow down a tad. Don't get me wrong I enjoy practicing. A lot. I know it's only 9mm but I can typically pop off 300-400 in a session. Much less if I'm sharing a lane with 1 or 2 other buds.

Really regret not picking up a couple more OE H&K mags from a vendor at the Crossroads Gun Show a few weeks ago. He was selling $35+tax each. D'oh!

12 mags?! I need to catch up! ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't have a basic load philosophy for my mags (yet??). Although I have probably close to 20 assorted 1911 mags, for my HK45c I only have 3 8-rounders and one 'elephant toe'. Like Function, I'm keeping an eye out for the occasional deal.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have 7(1 10rd and 6 13rd)for my USP and 3 for the Mark 23, but I don't need anymore than 3 for it. I will be getting a P2000sk very soon and plan on starting with at least 6 as it will become my primary ccw. I personally think 6 is a decent number, but more is always better:wink:. The way I see it is 3 for CCW/SD and 3 for target/range sessions.
I may come across a cheap a$$ but hear me out: if I pre-loaded range rounds prior to heading to the range wouldn't that equate to shooting more rounds? Having less mags would MAKE me slow down a tad. Don't get me wrong I enjoy practicing. A lot. I know it's only 9mm but I can typically pop off 300-400 in a session. Much less if I'm sharing a lane with 1 or 2 other buds.
I agree with you here. Especially since both of my Hk's are a little pricier to feed than 9mm. I don't mind taking time to reload, and like you said, it slows me down.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
I stock about a dozen mags for each gun. When I go out, I only take 2 mags max for each gun... less crap to keep an eye on. Mags have a tendency to walk, iffen you know what I mean, especially when you're having fun. I can take the time to reload them and 300-400 rounds? You're a light weight. Try 3 to 5 thousand rounds an outing. I easily take 4 to 5 thousand rounds just for the Browning A4 when we hit a shoot.

·
Banned
34,579 Posts
I stock about a dozen mags for each gun. When I go out, I only take 2 mags max for each gun... less crap to keep an eye on. Mags have a tendency to walk, iffen you know what I mean, especially when you're having fun. I can take the time to reload them and 300-400 rounds? You're a light weight. Try 3 to 5 thousand rounds an outing. I easily take 4 to 5 thousand rounds just for the Browning A4 when we hit a shoot.
So . . . if we see you out, you are only good for 32 rounds maximum??? :biggrin:

Tony

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1336691700.560260.jpg

MK23-5/12rd,3/10rd
45CT-5/10rd,2/8rd(finger rest), 2/8rd(flat)
P30-5/15rd
MR556-4/30rd(emags)4/30rd(steel)

It's a start....

·
Registered
854 Posts
I am of the thinking that 3 is a MINIMUM number to own for any pistol...I am a lot more comfortable having 10--allowing me to pre-load with a few different ammo types (and also the ability to rotate the loaded and unloaded ones to ease the springs)

The political Climate has me worried also and I am starting to stockpile Mags, reloading supplies and prebuilt carry ammo--its happened before and it will surely happen again!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Y do you need more than two mags per SA gun if you are shooting just for fun? Most reneges only allow slow fire.
If you carry for work LE MIL I understand. y tie up cash in mags? U can get more guns and ammo with it. gotta have it disease?
Concept of enough is highly underrated.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If its a carry gun, I think 6 is the bare minimum-one in the gun 2 in your spare carrier. the other three are for rotation of the 3 you keep loaded to save on the springs. Personally I like 10 per pistol, but I think I've watched too many of Navyman's youtube videos lol. I also do not like to load at the range I do it the night before while watching TV, but as you stated I do tend to go through ammo faster that way. I end up shooting 1000 to 1500 rounds per outing. I currently have 5 HK's and 46 magazines, with another 16 on order from Mike @ crosscreek!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have 8 for each weapon. 4 for the range which are marked with colored electrical to keep them apart from each other. The range mags take a beating from being dropped, stepped on etc.. During drills, shooting on the move and tactical relaods. The other 4 are test fired and inspected to make sure to be relaible. Then used as carry mags. Do I need 8? Probably not.. But it works for me. To each his own though.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
So . . . if we see you out, you are only good for 32 rounds maximum??? :biggrin:

Tony
Unless it's a beltfed or a match, yes, thereabouts. But then, the Rapid loader makes the point a moot one. Everything (9mm, 223 and 7.62x39) is on 36 round strippers so mag reloads only take 3-4 seconds.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts