HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda anal about my weapons and probably clean more than is really necessary..

How often do you field strip your PTR? I have a Gen II 32 and shoot Russian steel case which is somewhat dirty but stripping the weapon down after 100 rounds or so MIGHT not be necessary...

I would appreciate any advice...Thanks

·
Banned
34,552 Posts
Personally, I clean all of my firearms after shooting, whether 1 round or 100 rounds!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Registered
151 Posts
Personally, I clean all of my firearms after shooting, whether 1 round or 100 rounds!!! :biggrin:

Tony
I do the same thing. I just finished cleaning a rifle my buddy shot two mags through from the back deck lol.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I RARELY clean any of my weapons to include my PTR91. Hundreds of rounds through it with zero issues so far. Keep in mind, this rifle was designed to run dirty as it craps where it eats worse then an AR.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Personally, I clean all of my firearms after shooting, whether 1 round or 100 rounds!!!

Tony
Ditto for me, I view it as gross negligence if I don't.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If you shoot it on a regular basis, not necessary. If you are going to shoot it and put it away for 1+ months, clean it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've never cleaned any of my roller locks as they all have a few hundred rounds or less.. I clean guns when I start seeing residue build up, or if they're normally shot suppressed. I think over cleaning is more of a danger than undercleaning for most purposes.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts

Tony
Agree, I do the same.....just sort of a ritual habit. No need to keep round count this way and it garauntees to take one factor out if you have any problems next trip.

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
Man I used to be anal about cleaning my HKs. I shoot the snot out of them. Used to keep a log book w round counts, bolt gaps, last extraction spring replacement ( for the MP5 series) , etc, etc. Full cleaning after every outing. Logged it all.

Then I found that I didn't want to shoot as much. The mere thought of all the post shoot cleaning kept me from shooting. Cleaning added 30 min on average per gun. I shoot FA stuff -sear + clone hosts typically for reference. In other words my guns get dirty quickly. I never go to the range without shooting 500 rnds min. Typically is 750 rnds.

Anyway I "progressed" to doing full cleanings only when I didn't expect to shoot that gun again say within 2 weeks. Otherwise it was just a quick 5 min bore snake , check extraction spring stiffness, and quick clean of bolt and chamber. This worked fine over time. So I dropped the log book entirely. Tedious busy work that served precious little real world benefit.

Then I "progressed" to only doing quick wipe downs regardless. Screw it. I now essentially shoot them until failure ( always the extractor spring !) and rarely clean them. Nobody is shooting back at me and if a MG malfunctions at the range it gets put up and another one brought out to finish the session. I then deal w the malfunction gun at home & do full clean then.

The above have served me well. I enjoy shooting more and have no dread of the cleanup at all. And shooting more makes me happy. Cleaning guns does not make me happy. If I were retired then sure- clean em, good, always. But like many I'm juggling family, job, & other hobbies and tasks.

There are exceptions to the above. This includes : corrosive Ammo usage ( usually in 1919), post weekend mega- MG shoot ( OFAST or whatever ) , and the MP5 SD... I keep the can, threads, & port clean--after most every outing. Oh, beltfeds- yeah I clean them good. But if they went out then they most certainly got several hundred + rnds put just thru that one gun.

Yes. I'm prob going to hell for not cleaning my HKs. But I'll shoot them more than you before then !!! Hah

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Clean them every time.

My toys/tools (depending on your outlook) are expensive and I am anal retentive (hey it works for me).

There is a certain therapeutic function cleaning and oiling them and putting everything away.

But I don't shoot as much as I would like, so it isn't a time burden as mentioned above.

YMMV.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've noticed that the chamber flute marks on my fired brass are not as deeply defined on my GI when the weapon if decently dirty. This tells me the extraction gas lift is not as effective. Based on this I usually take the time to clean out the chamber, barrel face and barrel. I also clean the roller recesses as that can affect lockup.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've noticed that the chamber flute marks on my fired brass are not as deeply defined on my GI when the weapon if decently dirty. This tells me the extraction gas lift is not as effective. Based on this I usually take the time to clean out the chamber, barrel face and barrel. I also clean the roller recesses as that can affect lockup.
This could have nothing to do with how dirty the rifle is as brass is harder or softer depending on the manufacturer. My ZQI brass has markedly raised areas from forming itself into the flutes, while most of the Mil-Surp ammo I shoot has nothing more then powder residue marking the flute locations.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I usually clean my guns the day of shooting, or a day or two later at most. (Usually with the AK, unless shooting corrosive ammo)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I clean my guns after shooting as well...or after a class. I never get the reasons why people would want to keep a gun dirty (other than say...my gun can run dirty, here it is I am special).

Dirt, grime and yuck can increase your chances of a malfunction...I don't know about you guys...but I rather not take that chance if I can avoid it.

However more than anything...keep things lubed.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Man I used to be anal about cleaning my HKs. I shoot the snot out of them. Used to keep a log book w round counts, bolt gaps, last extraction spring replacement ( for the MP5 series) , etc, etc. Full cleaning after every outing. Logged it all.

Then I found that I didn't want to shoot as much. The mere thought of all the post shoot cleaning kept me from shooting. Cleaning added 30 min on average per gun. I shoot FA stuff -sear + clone hosts typically for reference. In other words my guns get dirty quickly. I never go to the range without shooting 500 rnds min. Typically is 750 rnds.

Anyway I "progressed" to doing full cleanings only when I didn't expect to shoot that gun again say within 2 weeks. Otherwise it was just a quick 5 min bore snake , check extraction spring stiffness, and quick clean of bolt and chamber. This worked fine over time. So I dropped the log book entirely. Tedious busy work that served precious little real world benefit.

Then I "progressed" to only doing quick wipe downs regardless. Screw it. I now essentially shoot them until failure ( always the extractor spring !) and rarely clean them. Nobody is shooting back at me and if a MG malfunctions at the range it gets put up and another one brought out to finish the session. I then deal w the malfunction gun at home & do full clean then.

The above have served me well. I enjoy shooting more and have no dread of the cleanup at all. And shooting more makes me happy. Cleaning guns does not make me happy. If I were retired then sure- clean em, good, always. But like many I'm juggling family, job, & other hobbies and tasks.

There are exceptions to the above. This includes : corrosive Ammo usage ( usually in 1919), post weekend mega- MG shoot ( OFAST or whatever ) , and the MP5 SD... I keep the can, threads, & port clean--after most every outing. Oh, beltfeds- yeah I clean them good. But if they went out then they most certainly got several hundred + rnds put just thru that one gun.

Yes. I'm prob going to hell for not cleaning my HKs. But I'll shoot them more than you before then !!! Hah

Haha! I'm right there with you. Especially with guns that are just used at the range. Never had a failure yet putting hundreds of rounds even over thousands in some cases between cleanings. The time saved and extra enjoyment added is well worth it. Now for a Home defense and duty gun I would definitely clean it between use to make sure everything is clean and ready to preform at 100%

1 - 20 of 21 Posts