HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to make a g36 but it sounds like the sl8-6 are different know is that correct. Do I need to replace the barrel or can the sl8 be cut and threaded?
I always wanted a g36 so I have decided to sell my sar-8 greek to fund it, I hope I'm making the right choice.
Thanks Todd

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
A SL8 barrel can be cut and threaded. If you are looking to build a G36 I suggest you speak to Joe on the forum who owns Dakota Tactical or Tom Bostic. They are both the premier builders of the G36 clones from an SL8.

You will need a G36K or G36C demilled kit and an SL8.

Contacts the two builders above and do some searches on the forum. There is a ton of info here on these builds.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes sl8 not sl9 thanks
why do some take the g36 mag and some not or was I misreading another thread

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
yes sl8 not sl9 thanks
why do some take the g36 mag and some not or was I misreading another thread
As it comes, the US SL8-1 and SL8-6 are only designed to take a single stack 10 round mag that HK makes specially for the gun (or a Promag 20 rd single stack mag made for the SL8). Some people have converted their SL8 to take high capacity double stack mags, G36 or AR mags, depending on the magwell used on the modified gun. Which one is used is up to personal preference. Some people prefer AR mags as they are cheap and easily available, pus count as 3 US parts. Others prefer G36 mags for the factory G36 look, but they are more expensive, plus they don't proved a lot of US parts (Magpul makes a mag that fits the G36, which does help with the US parts count, though).

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The European and Canadian SL8's have the double stack magazine well, as the US is the only country that had the import regulations against double stack magazines. There have been a very select few people that have imported the SL8-4/5 from Wolverine Supplies (a Canadian company) into the USA, and as far as I know there were no issues in having it approved. It just took a long time, as well keep in mind the price of an SL8 is over 2000 dollars, and the Canadian dollar is about on par with the US dollar these days, so it'll be quite a bit more than an SL8 in the US.

·
Registered
765 Posts
There have been a very select few people that have imported the SL8-4/5 from Wolverine Supplies (a Canadian company) into the USA, and as far as I know there were no issues in having it approved.
Even ATF can make mistakes. I have seen the same rifle get denied as a Ruger Mini 14, and within months reapplied for as a Ruger Ranch Rifle (The mini 14's common name) and get approved. Someone snuck those high capacity SL8's under the radar.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Even ATF can make mistakes. I have seen the same rifle get denied as a Ruger Mini 14, and within months reapplied for as a Ruger Ranch Rifle (The mini 14's common name) and get approved. Someone snuck those high capacity SL8's under the radar.
I dont think so (being snuck in), it was a pretty common poster here that did it. I can't exactly remember whom, I want to say Tom Bostic though for some reason (could be completely wrong). At the time it was deemed to be a sporting rifle because it could still only take the limited capacity magazines, they're just double stack instead of single.... Of course it absolutely could have been a mistake on the ATF/State Department's side of things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts