HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the stages called for shooting from retention. Sadly, I held the pistol too close to myself and caused a stove pipe when the slide hit me.

So, I had to clear it.

Not the fault of the pistol.

Not really a malfunction at all.

Just stupid me.

But... I learned a valuable lesson. So, I share with you....

[Otherwise, pistol was flawless.... as it has always been.]

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
One of the stages called for shooting from retention. Sadly, I held the pistol too close to myself and caused a stove pipe when the slide hit me.

So, I had to clear it.

Just stupid me.

I hate it when the HK pistol malfunctions.

My HK pistol I changed out the hammer spring and it was less reliable, I got a 5 lb trigger out of the HK pistol though instead of a 6 lb, I use the HK pistol for range fun mostly anyway.

Same kind of thing happened on my non HK rifle, I had it set to the suppressor gas setting and it wouldn't cycle a round, good if you want to save your brass I guess. My non HK pistol uses a gas system and if you take the piston out of the non HK pistol it wont cycle and the expensive brass doesn't go flying.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What, pray tell, is "shooting from retention?" Is regular shooting from non-retention? If so, what the hell is that?
In IDPA terms, "shooting from retention" is when you draw, keeping the pistol close to your body (bracing your arm against your side), and firing. Rather than draw, do a full press out toward the target extending your arms, and firing.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts

So, I had to clear it.

Just stupid me.

Shouldn't the reflect the accurate failure reason to be "Just stupid me" and not "Malfunction"?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In IDPA terms, "shooting from retention" is when you draw, keeping the pistol close to your body (bracing your arm against your side), and firing. Rather than draw, do a full press out toward the target extending your arms, and firing.
Here's a decent visual.

Shooting range Shooting sport Sport venue Shooting Recreation

·
Registered
754 Posts
yep, canted out a lil' will help those malfunctions. We have included several of those types shots into our department quals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts