HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to my HK sales rep and he just told me there are less than 75 of the MARK 23 to be had out of the last run they did this gun is almost gone forever. So if you wanted one or were looking for one I'd buy it very soon just a little FYI

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Having had one for ten-ish years, I hate to read this. I imagine when they are down to their last 75 USPs, I'll sense the same dread...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea if they are the BA marked ones all I can tell you the gun shop I work at took 8 of them and there is no more MARK 23 to ever be made

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Crap. I almost got a brand new one I could have sold at a great price, but I went back to get it and it was gone. :-( Oh well, I'd have probably kept it for myself anyways, and that's just what I need - a $2000 pistol.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so you are telling us that there is over 550 of these to be had left

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Someone told me HK is famous for claiming they are done making a certain gun. Once the demand comes around for it again, they make another "last run" of them. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
yes, just like the P7.......... no more to be found anywhere, ever again!!!
make any more I doubt it, I'm sure there are hundreds in storage somewhere in
Rheinland. only makes sense, as if they are just going to disappear?
they obviously appeal to a very small civilian market and thus
HK stopped production, that also makes sense.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Someone told me HK is famous for claiming they are done making a certain gun. Once the demand comes around for it again, they make another "last run" of them. Is this true?
There is some historical accuracy to that statement. As a series production company they loose money anytime the make a production run of less than 1000 pieces. The cost to set up the tooling and run small batches adds to the cost of an already expensive product. If a large order comes in, or one from a very forceful customer, they will consider seting up the run though it may be more costly at the smaller qty's. This happended with P7's, HK21E's and even MP5's. HK took them off line, stored the tooling then made the run when customer showed up with the money. The MP5 is the funniest example. HK leadership said it was no longer available - too expensive to make - buy this plastic UMP9 instead. It was not long that they forgot about that idea when the French police said ok we'll buy 20,000 9mm SMG's from someone else. Newly built MP5's are still rolling out of the production halls in Obendorf almost 50 years after the first one was made. It may never die.

HK21E'e were "out of production" on at least 2 occassions I recall only to be built in modest numbers when good customers came calling. The death throw to these older HK designs is when the expertise to properly build them retires and the newer crowd cannot support the production technically.

That last Mark 23 run a few years back might have been the last and many of those 500 units sat unsold for years. It is not the hot ticket it once was.

I also recall where HK took parts in stock, made a few of the "missing" components and then sold them as complete. The 1980 era HK93's with the reworked HK UK-made HK33 barrels comes to mind.

Many companies do this if the money makes sense.

G3Kurz

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just picked up my BA, had to wait 2 weeks for thread protector though. I had another probably 8 years ago and I can't remember but I thought it had NS. This one does not.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts