HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'd like to open a dialogue on Mark 23 holsters. Like what is everyone using for theirs?

First some backstory with me:

My Mark 23 is currently in a gray zone for a holster. I'm trying to find one compatible with a suppressor and weapon light. Bonus points for it being able to store the suppressor when it's not mounted. I ordered an LBT-1794B a while ago and unfortunately while it's a very nicely constructed holster, I cannot use it with my Mark 23. I run mine with the GG&G adapter, TLR-1 HL, and an Obsidian 45. When I holster it with the can on it won't get past the opening at the bottom. The edges of the end cap catch the nylon and just refuses to pass through the opening. Without the suppressor, it's still a very tight fit, almost too tight. I'm tempted to try the LBT-1794C but I feel it's another $180 gamble thinking back to Obsidan 45 compatiblity. I'm aware that the LBT holsters are designed to work with the KAC SOCOM suppressor, so I've since retired my LBT and have been looking at other options.

So I ordered an airsoft replica of the old Wilcox holster from China. It seems as good a place as any to start. The real ones are all but gone to my knowledge. I'm not expecting good quality, but I'm hoping it'll be enough to maybe take apart and try to make my own out of better materials using it as a stencil. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be a passable holster.

I've also thought about the Masterfire holster. That's probably the most expensive option at this point being that it requires a new weaponlight ($200) and the holster itself for $150. I googled "MK23 MasterFire" and someone in Japan tried it with an airsoft gun and it looks... doable, although at a very steep angle.

Then there's kydex, which I'm trying to keep as a last measure.

I'm also going to try those "universal holsters" I keep seeing. Like the Condor Tornado, or maybe the Warrior Assault Systems one. I've seen airsofters use the WAS for their suppressed MK23 replicas. I figure it it'll fit a 1:1 replica it should fit the actual weapon right?

So with that out of the way: I'd love to hear about/see your setups for holsters!

EDIT: Tried the Condor Tornado. No-go with the can + TLR-1 and GG&G adapter. The holster is too small even when maxed out.

Trying again without the accessories, the front end of the slide and barrel sticks out causing the front sight to snag onto the outside of the holster stopping me from drawing. Adjusting the ride height of the pistol inside the Tornado to bring the barrel inside the holster makes it too tall to use the thumb snap.

Will update with the Blackhawk Omega VI holster, and the replica Wilcox from China whenever it arrives.

·
LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG
HK4 (4 cal), HK45T, P7PSP, P7M13, P30SKS, MARK23, SBRs: SP5, SP5K, Z5-RS, USC/UMP
372 Posts
Blackhawk makes a universal light bearing holster. I bought one and it works with my MARK 23 and a TLR-2 light/laser unit.

Amazon has them here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W3650E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comes in black, tan and OD. $80 bucks.

It looks like this:
2018-06-15 14.11.49.jpg
2018-06-15 14.12.45.jpg
2018-06-15 14.15.51.jpg

I had to do some strap cutting because I wanted a belt / hip holster, not a drop leg unit. This one has a nice securing thumb break strap. Not going to win any quick draw contests with it, but it is very secure. Fits on a 1.5 or 1-3/4” belt.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Might be a stupid question, but did you cut the "relief taper" on your LBT? I have several (understatement) 23's and holsters. I like the BRAVO better, don't waste your money on the CHARLIE....same great quality, but it's minus the FLAP and same exact dimensions or smaller/tighter. I have only gotten my KAC can (smooth, rounded end NOT sharp endcap edge as you said) AND a G,G&G adapter to holster with a tiny VIRIDIAN C5L. Great product, strobe feature and laser, and Super Tiny to fit VERY-Y-Y snug when mounted.

If you haven't done so....cut the thread out of the end of the holster by the velcro flap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually purchased that holster because of your review a few hours ago. I saw the pictures and instantly bought it.

Small world for such a big gun.

·
HKPRO Professional
204 Posts
If I were going to carry the Mark 23 for tactical work, I'd go with something like the Safariland 6004 or 6005. A solid, retention holster. But I'm not a fan of thigh carry holsters, as a general thing, so I would get one of their belt adapters. Probably one that hangs the pistol fairly low, so I could draw and clear the holster without difficulty.
If I were carrying on the property or up in the boonies, I'd use the LBT type, but adjusted high (for a thigh setup) and use one strap instead of both.
I like the looks of the Blackhawk that Fudd mentioned, and I am certainly not anti-airsoft or anti-China for non-tactical use, or even FOR tactical use after an evaluation proves it's good enough.
There is a Russian Mk23 thigh holster available on eBay for around $50 that uses two hangers instead of one. I think I will order one, add a shoulder strap connecting the hangers, and an around-the-wast strap replacing the leg strap, and try it in the fashion of the old Boyt military tanker holster. I bet it would work great.
If the cheapies don't work out, I bet they would do a yeoman's job of it, sewn on a stiff divider, to carry the pistol inside a bag

What accessories these holsters will work with, I do not know.

Purists will blanch. I won't be watching them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you haven't done so....cut the thread out of the end of the holster by the velcro flap.
Well I got it to fit, but I had to cut a lot more than the little thread you mentioned. The problem was definitely the shape of the Obsidian's end cap and how thick the nylon is at the opening. I had to shave off the sides inside of the opening until the can would clear. It's definitely ugly but it works. The burnt material also leaves scratches on the body of the Obsidian since it still rubs when holstering/unholstering. I'm still going to look into other holsters but at least I know I can use my can with it if need be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts