HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a KG date code M"ark" 23 used for a great price. It came with original camo carry case, horizontal Operator's Manual, and 7 magazines. The seller claimed that he was the second owner and had only shot it 50 times and stored it in his safe for the 5 years that he owned it. Looking at the gun, the slide and barrel (Maritime Finish) have plenty of scratches and paint missing. I contacted HK to see if they offered refinishing services and they declined. Is there anyone out there capable of refinishing the barrel and slide in the Maritime finish? I'm aware of the Hostile Environment finish process completed under the maritime coat as well. After browsing some forums I read into GrayGuns being referred for re-finishing services but saw nothing on their website relating to the Mark 23. I'd like for the gun to retain it's collector value, and I want someone who can refinish it while retaining the amber markings and serial numbers on the slide and barrel. Should I attempt to have it refinished? Or leave it as is?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I would leave it as-is. I have 2 unfired KG Mark 23's, one is flawless and one has handling marks, scratches, etc and I always vote that they are character marks, go shoot that wonderful pistol and don't give the handling marks another thought.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you want to retain it's collector value, you should avoid refinishing it. If you look at old colt single action's, the ones with even wear and tear bring big bucks and there are some that are in excellent condition with original finish that bring astronomical prices. The ones that are refinished are worth only fractions of the originals and can be spotted by an educated collector from a mile away.

I would only refinish it if future value was of no concern and you wanted it to look nicer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gentlemen. If HK offered refinishing services I would send it in because I assume they could refinish it like new with the same factory coatings so it would be impossible to know it had been redone. but since that's not an option and I know of no companies qualified or certified to refinish them identical to factory finish, my other option is to follow your advice and leave it as is. I want to shoot it, but not a lot. If I got it refinished I'd probably never want to shoot it anyways, which would be no fun.

Off topic, but, how can I upload and post multiple pictures in the same thread post? So far I've only been able to add 1 separate photo at a time and I have about 10 that I want to add to this post.

Thanks

·
Banned
34,552 Posts
Welcome to the site, and congratulations on a nice acquisition--- as my esteemed colleagues have pointed out, any collector value would be diminished by a refinish!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
The problem is, the the Mark 23 is not offered with the maritime finish anymore, so even if you could refinish it, it would probably be refinished in the matte finish, which is not even close performance/looks wise to the original maritime finish. Trust me, just enjoy it and don't look back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trying to upload pictures of the blemishes... Can this be done without using sites such as photo bucket? I just want to upload them straight from my desktop :confused:

IMG_20160125_114930533.jpg
IMG_20160125_115230063.jpg
IMG_20160125_115238249.jpg
IMG_20160125_115246366.jpg
IMG_20160125_115301406.jpg
IMG_20160125_115314086.jpg
IMG_20160125_115336613.jpg
IMG_20160125_115411055.jpg
IMG_20160125_115548877.jpg
IMG_20160125_115632500.jpg
IMG_20160125_115701270.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Conclusion: looks like I'm keeping as is; time to start scoping out an LAM, KAC Suppressor, and LBT holster ��
Thanks for the input gentlemen.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Love a KG, don't have it refinished. Here is mine: image.jpg

Try LBT directly for the holster. I hear they had a few left from the run this summer.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Congratulations on finding a great and rare gun. And enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I agree with the others, you don't want to re-finish it. You'll never get a good enough refinish to make it worth your time. If you're set on re-finishing it, I would do something clearly intended to be custom, like OD or something.

Can I ask what this gem cost you?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts