HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got a Mark 23 after years of comptemplating getting one and I'm stoked, but have a question. I have been reading and watching video reviews on it and a couple people said that their hammers broke from thumbing back the hammer manually for single action dry fire practice. They said it's designed to break away and that this would happen if you manually cocked it a lot. Well how much is a lot? I cocked it maybe 30-40 times when I was playing around a little with it the other night so I'd think it should be fine right? I mean it's supposed to be one of the most rugged and tested pistols ever right?! Any of you hear of this "issue"?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Never heard of it, but I use mine cocked and locked so the slide cocks the hammer. I believe they're probably referring to the little rubber nub on the hammer - if you look close you should see a little line. That's probably glued on or something I'd guess. I suppose if you did it forcefully often enough you could get it to break.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Guess I'm just trying to see if there is a magic number of manual hammer cockings that people have been noticing this develop at. Some people dry fire thousands of times and others not so much. I don't plan to dry fire much at all but would hope that I could get away with a few hundred times throughout the lifetime of the gun without breaking the hammer being as how it's a friggin COMBAT pistol.

·
Registered
254 Posts
This happened to mine i.e, the rubber nub on the hammer breaking off. I plan to pick up some super glue.

Never heard of it, but I use mine cocked and locked so the slide cocks the hammer. I believe they're probably referring to the little rubber nub on the hammer - if you look close you should see a little line. That's probably glued on or something I'd guess. I suppose if you did it forcefully often enough you could get it to break.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Meant to break away? Doubt it. I've heard of some coming off. HK will replace it if yours is one that the rubber spur comes off of the hammer. The hammer itself does not break. The gun will still function if the rubber spur comes off. I'd just gorilla glue it back on.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Congratulations on the MARK 23. It is not a pistol that requires pampering.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Freds1974,

After how much thumb cocking would you say this happened? Quite a lot or had you had it a short time is all?

·
Registered
254 Posts
In former times, not so much. The last month or so quite a bit since I was on a "mission".

My two favorite platforms are 1911's and HK's and am partial to the USP series. I shoot quite a bit and am reasonably accurate with the 1911 i.e., 2 to 3 inch groups offhand at 25 yards and attain similar results with the USP Expert 45. However, I had never been able to attain this degree of accuracy with a Mark 23. So, last month every range trip i.e, twice a week, I took the Mark 23 with me in an effort to figure it out. In between range trips a lot of dry firing with a LaserLyte cartridge, probably hundreds of times, so that is what did it. Anyhow, I finally figured this beast out, made the necessary adjustments and am getting very nice groupings.

Freds1974,

After how much thumb cocking would you say this happened? Quite a lot or had you had it a short time is all?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Anybody else have this issue?
No issues for me. I do recall (perhaps I have a faulty memory), that last year, at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, that one of the display Mark 23s in the HK booth was indeed missing the spur. It's probably been handled very much.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anybody else have this issue?
No issues for me. I do recall (perhaps I have a faulty memory), that last year, at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, that one of the display Mark 23s in the HK booth was indeed missing the spur. It's probably been handled very much.

I see thanks for the input. How many times you think you have thumbed it back to SA mode though?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts