HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am the 'keeper' of a Mark 23 for now. It's a great shooter - but the owner has not kept up on maintenance. I am seeing some scoring on where metal hit the finish that is applied over the slide. This is happening both inside and outside - with the latter being purely cosmetic, of course.

I just cleaned the beegeezus out of it and am going to test fire tomorrow, but it pains me to see this great gun become a workhorse beater. What is the finish that H&K puton these? It looks like enamel of some sort - it's a shiny finish, not at all like that on the USP. In fact, is it possible to replace the slide - at a reasonable cost with a matte finish one?

thanks in advance for tips!

W

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Nobody "REALLY" knows what the top coat of the mark23 is... Its some sort of baked on laquer finish mabey... Underneath is the standard HE or 'Hostile Environment' finish.

Supposedly Arizona Response systems is the official/unofficial refinisher of HK in the US, you can ask if they can do some sort of mark23 top coat refinish.

The top coat is really just an extra... it isn't really needed, i suppose it beads up water so its even extra protected against rust, but it definatly does not make any difference you'll see with rust protection. I think theres a beauty to a well used gun, it shows it has been well loved :D

If you do want to get the gun looking new, ARS would be your best bet... HK does not - that im aware of - do refinishes on guns, like Glock for example (for 60 dollars they refinish it)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
That is correct, if you sent it to HK they would turn around and send it to ARS.
The wear you described does not mean it was not well cared for. That is typical wear patterns you will find on the Mark 23 if it is shot at all or even has the slide worked a few hundred times. Even after the black surface finish is long gone the real protecting finish, the Maritime finish, is still bonded to the metal surface and filling the pores of the metal. Wear all along the barrel and on top and sides of the chamber hood area are going to happen no matter how much you baby it, unless you never work the slide or shoot it.
Replacing the slide would cost likely as much as a new pistol. HK usually only replaces them as a direct exchange for a damaged slide, not one that needs refinishing. And besides, a replacement slide would kill the value of the pistol since the serial number would not be put on the new slide. It is far better to keep an original worn slide than to replace it with a mis-matching new slide.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine only has 50 rounds through it and it has already worn through the edges of the hood. It is really no big deal, I bought it to shoot but my uspc has over 2k through it and has less wear. You would think it would have a better finish than a uspc though. Keep it like it is, gives you something to talk about.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
W. That is one of HK's finest weapons and it is also a very durable and hard working weapon!!! I can assure you that it would have functioned fine, without the complete cleaning! That's the way HK made it!! One tuff and take it to hell and back always firing weapon. Your are very lucky to have such a high quality weapon. Even if it isn't as shinney as new!! TJ

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does anyone have the ASR website address? I think it would be a nice option to have any of the other HKs refinished like the Mark-23.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the address. I am going to e-mail them about my inqury. I don't think they can do the maritime treatment either, but if they could do the top coat ala MK-23, that would be very nice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS everyone. I agree - it will keep on going no matter what. Today, shot about 200 rounds through it - LOVE IT! I shot is before the cleaning and thought WTF? What's all the hype about. I'll take some pix of the scoring inside the slide - I just want to make sure that's all ok - the external prettiness, not necessarily a must have! It's a proper working man's gun - one that happens to wear an ALICE setup, and typically covered in some sort of mosquito repellent ;)

P

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well - as I said, here are some pix - take a look at the different places the slide makes contact, it's not exactly even rub wear, rather chips. This is what I'm concerned about, more than the beat up looks from the outside (character marks, sorry).

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hmmmm..... It APPEARS that all the areas with the marks, are ares of contact... the middle section where the hammer rubs, the the area on the left (as shown) side where the disconnector rubs.

Took some pics.

This is mine after 3000-3500 rounds. There is no "chipping" or uneven wear spots, except on the barrel, on the top/bottom areas and on the barrel locking block (normal wear)

This one kind of highights the wear patterns... There is virtually no visible wear, except a little bit of show through where the disconnector slides (to the left of the FP safety) and most of the finish has been worn off of the hammer reset "bump" highlighted in red. The wear pattern is kind of streaky, and i can see the "swirl" marks made by machining.

A little bit of visible wear on the FP safety, its a bit shinier than the rest of it...

Better closeup of where the disconnector runs... You can see a little bit of lightness (shows a bit better in person) but its very smooth, and gently worn. No chipping or flaking.

From what i can see, the wear pattern on the area in the middle, where the hammer is reset, seems normal... It could just be the hammer unevenly wearing it down...

But the "chipping" seems to be excessive, it could be that there was grease or, it was not properly cleaned when it the finish was put on....

Mine might just be lucky or something, but only on the barrel, where the most friction is, is there any sort of "chip" marks on the laquered top coat...

What i would do, is send an Email with the pics to HK customer service, and see if it is normal... Without having multiple 23's with me to tell if its normal or not, i cant tell you for sure if it is.

But from my experiance, the finish wears much more evenly, and gradually that what seems to be in your pics!

Link to HK-CS:

" [email protected] "

If all else, they might warrent you with a refinish... If it IS normal wear, then it shouldn't compromise it, just with the cosmetics ;)

ETA

Extra picture for beat up Mark23 goodness :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VERY VERY big thanks. I was thinking that it should look like yours!

And this rapidly becoming my favorite, I want to be sure it's cared for properly. I'll give them a shout and see what falls out.

Cheers!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:(

no love from H&K... sent note, no response. Any other email addresses that are effective? I am hoping for a recommendation rather than me blindly fumbling through their website (which is in DEEP DESPERATE need of redesign - btw, I'm a web designer [evilgrin]).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Wig, you can try sending them an instant message on the HK-usa forums (you'll need an account, but its a fairly good place). Or you can give them a call, and explain your situation, Jeff and Travis are awesome guys, and should be able to tell you 100% if its normal or not.

They might ask for you to send some pictures, OR, you can post the pictures you posted here, on the HK-usa forums.

http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/wforum/index.php

Heckler & Koch Inc
7661 Commerce Ln
Trussville, AL 35173
800-821-3021
205-655-7078 fax
[email protected]

Good luck!

ETA

sometimes HK is slow responding to emails, they have a lot with parts orders, and such, as well as CS concerns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts