HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an add for an HK Mark 23 for $1700 and an HK Tacktical 45 for $900. They were both 45 acp and they looked the same in the ad,so what are all the differences between them to make one cost $800 more? I am just looking for a 45 with a light rail to keep in the bedroom for security and I am very happy with my HK rifles,but I don't know anything about their pistols so what do you guys recomend for me? Thanks in advance for any helpfull answers. John

·
Registered
238 Posts
The Mark 23 doesn't do anything the USP Tactical can't do. The Mark 23 is a great collector's piece, but it's HUGE sunvabitch. The USP .45 Tactical is no small pistol either.

Get the Tactical and shoot the hell out of it. Here are some comparison pics

·
Registered
35 Posts
The mark 23 has a special rail that takes a specific (expensive) light. It does not fit any other gun. You would be better off with the tac, but I think that is overkill. A regular USP or USPc in .45 would be cheaper and just as good for what you want to do with it. The P2000 has the 1913 light rail which would give you alot to choose from in a light but it does not come in .45. The USP and USPc has a special rail also that takes a specific light that runs between $100-$200 dollars depending on where you buy it. There are several companies that make adapter rails that converts it to the 1913 style lights.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My god that Mk 23 is huge...why is it so much larger than the tactical??

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I agree, get the Tactical. The only thing the SOCOM can do that the Tac cannot is serve as a good boat anchor or grappling hook. Unless you really need the size and over engineering of the SOCOM the only thing you gain by getting the Mk 23 is a much lighter wallet. I have and shoot both and because of the way the Mk 23 fits my hands, it is my least favorite HK pistol. Good for the gee-whiz factor and impressing other shooters at the range but not for much else IMO.

Reason for larger size, got me by the ears. Only thing I can figure is it is simply over engineered to the point of absurdity or the people it was designed for, the SOCOM units, have hands the size of gorillas.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I saw an add for an HK Mark 23 for $1700 and an HK Tacktical 45 for $900. They were both 45 acp and they looked the same in the ad,so what are all the differences between them to make one cost $800 more? I am just looking for a 45 with a light rail to keep in the bedroom for security and I am very happy with my HK rifles,but I don't know anything about their pistols so what do you guys recomend for me? Thanks in advance for any helpfull answers. John
AFAIAC, the only difference to many people is that some can afford only (the cheaper) one not the other or both. For civilian use, Tac 45 will do 100% of a Mark 23 does just fine. I don't want to argue with those saying that Mark 23 is in its own class (which was part of the reason I bought mine), but to me it's worth the extra dough. If you have a chance to shoot both, then you will see for yourself. I am not saying that Mark 23 shoots twice better than a Tac 45, but it fits in my hand and shoots like no others.

·
2,832 Posts
I thought the MK23 used the same rail as the USP?

just got my MK23........guess i will check my UTL when I get home

The mark 23 has a special rail that takes a specific (expensive) light. It does not fit any other gun. You would be better off with the tac, but I think that is overkill. A regular USP or USPc in .45 would be cheaper and just as good for what you want to do with it. The P2000 has the 1911 light rail which would give you alot to choose from in a light but it does not come in .45. The USP and USPc has a special rail also that takes a specific light that runs between $100-$200 dollars depending on where you buy it. There are several companies that make adapter rails that converts it to the 1911 style lights.

·
Registered
76 Posts
if you want a gun to just sit in a nightstand then dont spend the extra money for the Mark 23 and get the Tactical.
i have both Tacical 45 and Mark 23, and dont tell my tactical but i like the Mark 23 better. my hands fit it well enough. i find it shoots better and has less recoil. but very few over all differences. i bought the Tactical first then the Mark 23 and it was well worth the money to me. i have been nothing but pleased with the Mark 23. but saying that i love the Tactical too and i have been very pleased with it. both are very good firearms and shoot very similar.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Mark23 is a better gun hands down, better engineered, better durability, less recoil, theoretically more accurate, but is it twice as better as Tactical? Not really. Also it's not for everyone due to its size. It's a "fun" gun, and collector piece, but other guns will spray bullets just as well. If you have the funds, get the Mark23. If not, Tactical will serve you very well.

I'd be interested to see comparison between Mark23, Tactical45 and HK45. I suspect HK45 will probably be between Mark23 and Tactical in terms of desirability, and rank top in terms of practical use and ergonomics.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
No, the SOCOM uses a rail that is even more specific than the USP rail. A light that attaches to the SOCOM should have a mounting system that not only clamps onto the rail but also screws into the trigger guard.

·
2,832 Posts
and your right of course, came back from the range and tried the UTL.......MK23 rails much bigger than USP

No, the SOCOM uses a rail that is even more specific than the USP rail. A light that attaches to the SOCOM should have a mounting system that not only clamps onto the rail but also screws into the trigger guard.

·
2,832 Posts
just ran 200 odd rds thru the Mk23 I picked up today, nice gun, its accurate and all but my 45 Expert will outshoot it and suspect the Tactical is pretty close(of not the same) as the Expert as far as accuracy goes.

MK23 is cool and I am glad I got it(at $1200, anymore than that, prolly not)

and if no one mentioned it ;) the MK23 is HUGE!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i love my mark23, but its more of a collectors piece. You wont be doing much (successful) competitions with it. Its a great gun, but for the cost cut, the USP Tac is just as good.

course you dont get to have the MARK23 if you get the tac :p

its funny, because now all other guns are TOO SMALL since im so used to the mark23 now :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the good info. I did not know about that special HK light rail, I was looking for something in 45acp that has a more universal light rail. Is there a standard light rail for most pistols,if so what is it? I have read diiferent things in the ads for lights such as: "1913", "GlockRail", "Picatiny", "Weaver Style" and now this special HK light rail. What are the differences? Which one do you guys think will become the standard? I don't want to end up with a "Beta VCR" that won't take the now standard "VHS tapes."
Also,would any of you post pictures of the Mark 23 or Tactical 45 with the "Vortex Flash Suppressor" on it and or any Sound Suppressors "Silencers"?
Thanks again for all the help.

·
2,832 Posts
I'd say 99.9% that Picitiny will be the standard rail, thats what most are using now, the new HK45 and the P30 will be Picitiny

Thanks for the good info. I did not know about that special HK light rail, I was looking for something in 45acp that has a more universal light rail. Is there a standard light rail for most pistols,if so what is it? I have read diiferent things in the ads for lights such as: "1913", "GlockRail", "Picatiny", "Weaver Style" and now this special HK light rail. What are the differences? Which one do you guys think will become the standard? I don't want to end up with a "Beta VCR" that won't take the now standard "VHS tapes."
Also,would any of you post pictures of the Mark 23 or Tactical 45 with the "Vortex Flash Suppressor" on it and or any Sound Suppressors "Silencers"?
Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
why do people call them SOCOM's? i thought they were mk23's? or is that the "tacticool" marketing name for the civilian version?

thanks ltbarber for the word tacticool

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
The SOCOM was designed as a offensive firearm. It doesn't need any concealment, and is great for a diver using a wet suit and gloves. It is not ungainly for an adult male of normal stature wearing the wardrobe of the intended purpose. I love shooting mine.....but I'm a big ol' fat guy. People of slight stature, may find it ungainly.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Or people with small hands, like me. :(
For an explanation for people referring to them as Mark 23, Mk 23, and SOCOM, check out this link.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts