HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new HK USP 45, about two weeks ago. I have about 150 rounds through it. Already have a couple minor scratches on slide. Any advice on how to remedy this? I saw a touch-up pen at a local gun store in "matte black" for this reason. Should I spend the few bucks? Does it work? Also, just had night sights installed (Meprolight sights), by a retired police officer (professional). My shots were slightly to the right. He said to gently tap the rear sight to the right to correct this. This does not sound correct to me. I would think to tap the rear sight gently to the left to correct it. Or, should I listen to the trained professional? Should I attempt it myself, or let the gunsmith do it? He said he would do it at no extra charge. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Dont baby it, just shoot it. Wear marks add character, welcome to the forum and enjoy your USP.

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
Show him this and ask him why he drifted the rear sight to the right instead of left.
You can get the Cold Blue pen to hide the blemishes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If it is the sights that need to be adjusted, then drifting the rear sight to the right would would indeed move the POI to the left.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that chicks dig scars and all that, but, damn, it's not a cheap gun!!!!!! I'll let it get some wear for a while. Thanks for the input on the sights. Just to be clear, if my shots are slightly to the right, then moving the rear sight to the right will correct this? Right?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . . Just to be clear, if my shots are slightly to the right, then moving the rear sight to the right will correct this? Right?
No. You move the rear sight in the direction you want to hit. . . and for the front sight, it works in reverse.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Correct. Move the rear sight in the direction you wish to hit, same for elevation on fully adjustables. The front sight is just the opposite.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. Should I attempt it myself? And with what, a brass punch? And where would I get one? Thanks again. I'm a bit of a noob at this.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My advice would be to have someone else shoot, and see where that shooter hits. It may be trigger control, or sympathetic contractions on your non trigger fingers. If you don't have a buddy that you would consider a good shot, then shoot from a rest. Personally, I wouldn't touch the sights until you went through what I have just suggested.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
One way to help see if it's the sights or you is to shoot both righty and lefty. If both righty and lefty shoot to the same point of aim, then adjust the rear sight to center your POI. However, if you shoot to different points of aim when shooting righty vs lefty, then it is you and not the sights.

As for a punch: Cut a piece of hard wood (like an oak scrap) to about the size of a two and a half inch broken-off piece of a Chinese chopstick with one end small enough to fit inside the dovetail (heck, I have even used a broken-off piece of chopstick to do this). Wrap your slide in a piece of cardboard like from the back of a legal pad, and place it in a bench-vise with the top of the slide a little higher than the top of the vise. DON'T OVERTIGHTEN the vise like Hercules, but clamp it just strong enough that you can't move it around by hand. If you go crazy tightening the vise you WILL crack your slide. Place the tip of your wooden "punch" at the base of the sight where it touches the slide in the dovetail, and NOT on the sight-blade. Take a regular hammer to the other end of your "punch" and knock the rear sight in the direction you want your shots to hit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts