HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a strange problem I hope you can help me with. The cartridges I have will not fit into my stainless barrel; it looks like the rear portion of the barrel hasn't been finished, with no flutes. Look at the pics and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so there are no photos. Reason being, the uploader doesn't want to cooperate. Anyone know how to upload photos from a computer? No URL link walk-throughs please. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
You have to post the photos someplace and they add the URL between [123] URL HERE [/123] where 123 is replaced by img and delete all spaces.
Several free photo hosting locations, however, if you wishs, can e-mail me the photos and and I can host them.

Email is JTiXXXnIN at comcast.net
Shoot out the X's

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
The flutes aren't supposed to go all the way to the rear of the chamber.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If the cartridges he has won't fit, it aint the flutes. Assuming the correct cartridges, his chamber is for something else. Waiting for pics and specs on the barrel.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Of course it's not the flutes. My comment was only made to address his questioning of them not reaching the end of the chamber.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so the pics aren't up at this point, but I received guidance from Adam Webber from HKParts. He says that based on the pics I was able to send him from my e-mail (go figure), that everything is within spec. Seems strange that the cartridge would stick out 1/2" out of the end of the chamber, though.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Are these factory cartridges or reloads? Can you put a pair of calipers on the case and the chamber?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The chamber is supposed to be .308. I'm using reloads, and haven't put a caliper to either chamber or rounds. I'll try to acquire some factory .308 ammo for testing. For security reasons, I casn't say where in OH I am, but if you PM me, I can get more into detail.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
For security reasons, I casn't say where in OH I am, but if you PM me, I can get more into detail.
Doing the "Secret Squirrel" thing, eh? I'm in northern Ohio, meself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so I got it figured out. And the solution will cost about as much as a new PTR; reloads will not work, but new ammo works just fine. Swallows the entire case almost to the rim. And I thought Savage chambers were tight; they've got nothing on the PTR stainless barrel chamber. At the current price of surplus .308, I'll need to be judicious with ammo. And steer clear of SA ammo due to what I've read on here.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Reloads work just fine... if you have the correct dies. For all semi autos and full auto guns you should have full length resizers. The case mouth resizer dies don't get the job done. They actually make undersize resizing dies... I have them for 223 and 308.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking the same thing; did full length resizing was done, but in a standard die. Will order small base .308 dies this week. Thanks for your help, everyone.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts

·
Banned
848 Posts
If it was actually reamed with a MATCH reamer chances are your other than MATCH ammo will not fit. The tolerances on a match reamer are tight. The tolerances on match sizing dies are the same. This is just a possibility. You can alway check the chamber with a set of chamber gauges to varify.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looked on HKParts website; seems the barrel I have is a match barrel, which explains the tight chamber. Small base dies it is. SInce I have about 500 rounds reloaded so far, can I take out the decapper and resize the loaded rounds, or should I just size what I have for fired brass?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts