HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE AN EMERGENCY!!!! I'VE INSTALLED A MATCH TRIGGER KIT IN MY BELOVED USP.45FS AND NOW I CAN'T GET IT TO SHOOT!! I'VE TRIED SEVERAL BRANDS & TYPES OF AMMO BUT NOTHING WORKED. THE FIRING PING IS HITTING THE PRIMER AND IN GOOD CONDITION JUST NOT HITTING HARD ENOUGH! ANY SUGGESTIONS OR ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES IT IS ABOUT 1/4" SHORTER THAN THE ORIGINAL SPRING. SO I'M GUESSING THEY SEND THE ONE MEANT FOR THE COMPACT IF IT IS THAT THEY'RE DIFFERENT. THAT'S MY BEST SWAG!!!

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Actually, the Match hammer spring IS the same one used in the USP Compacts. They are the same part.
Did you replace the Trigger Rebound Spring as well, and it is in correctly?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes everything was done correctly the gun functions perfect in every other regard. The hammer is not hitting hard enough that's it. It's a shame cause the trigger pull is just incredibly light no slack awesome feel!! I really hope i can get it to work without having to add weight to the trigger pull

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
So a step up in main spring strength would increase pull weight (and ideally hammer impact strength) for the first shot, but for the subsequent SA shots is it moot with regard to trigger pull?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'LL install the factory spring and see what happens!! thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Match trigger kit is designed for use with, surprise!, match ammo. This kind of ammo uses soft primers, so it uses light hammer spring, to lower trigger pull weight. But kit can have problems with hard primers or military or combat ammo.

·
Registered
205 Posts
This may sound odd but check that your hammer guide rod is positioned correctly. When i did my lem conversion on my uspc for whatever reason my gun together it was functioning except for hardly any force on the hammer. I took the back strap off and lanyard, i didnt see anything unusual i put it back together same thing. I then put the mag in it and it was fine ever since. 200 rounds no hiccups, i cant explain what happened. I know that when you put the hammer guide rod in it just kind of goes in there, so look in the department

·
Registered
589 Posts
Montrala,

If the match trigger should be mated w/ match ammo, then what's the deal w/ the fs tactical, expert, elite, and other USPs w/ match triggers? I haven't seen any tactical or expert owners writing about having to use match ammo.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I've installed 2 Match Trigger kits in my USPf 45 and 9mm Custom Combat and have no problems whatsoever. The trigger pull is light when dry firing in DA (about 7 lbs or so), but guns function properly at the range, with regular ammo (Federal American Eagle and Speer Lawman 230gr and 124gr/115gr, respectively). Since these are my range guns, I have not fired them with any HD ammo, but I don't expect any problems with these ammo, either.

Question for the OP: Did you also follow the instructions for trigger smoothing procedure in the other thread that you posted the same question? Not saying that it is the culprit (because I did follow the same procedure with my guns) but if you did, you should check the parts that you sanded/polished.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
If the match trigger should be mated w/ match ammo, then what's the deal w/ the fs tactical, expert, elite, and other USPs w/ match triggers? I haven't seen any tactical or expert owners writing about having to use match ammo.
I do not know if Tactical has full match kit with light spring (SD9 initially did not have match trigger) but other USPs with Match trigger (Expert, Elite, Match, Custom Sport) were designed for sporting purposes, not as service pistols. Match and Elite for target competition while Expert and Custom Sport for dynamic shooting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What kind of ammo are you using?

I had this problem come up but only with Monarch ammo. Since then I have also seen the same thing happen in different guns of various calibers with Monarch. Everything else seems to work fine.

Match trigger kit is designed for use with, surprise!, match ammo. This kind of ammo uses soft primers, so it uses light hammer spring, to lower trigger pull weight. But kit can have problems with hard primers or military or combat ammo.
I have shot plenty of NATO with mine before, no problems.

I guess it could be possible that you have an out of speck hammer spring. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I did not write that it will not shoot all ammo. Just it has weaker spring, because it is dedicated for match ammo. I saw Match trigger work with military ammo (Hirtenberger), not work with military ammo (Mesko), and not work with civilian ammo (Barnaul, some S&B). Only on Mesko it did not work at all, on Barnaul and S&B it did not work every some rounds.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Why do I keep reading this as "MATCH TRIGGER KIT CAUSING LIGHTNING STRIKES!!??".....?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I did not write that it will not shoot all ammo. Just it has weaker spring, because it is dedicated for match ammo. I saw Match trigger work with military ammo (Hirtenberger), not work with military ammo (Mesko), and not work with civilian ammo (Barnaul, some S&B). Only on Mesko it did not work at all, on Barnaul and S&B it did not work every some rounds.
Can you tell me where you are getting the information that the match kit is dedicated for match ammo? I haven't heard anything like this before and am very curious as I have the USP Tactical with the match trigger. I personally have had zero problems so far with mine....

·
Registered
954 Posts
I HAVE AN EMERGENCY!!!! I'VE INSTALLED A MATCH TRIGGER KIT IN MY BELOVED USP.45FS AND NOW I CAN'T GET IT TO SHOOT!! I'VE TRIED SEVERAL BRANDS & TYPES OF AMMO BUT NOTHING WORKED. THE FIRING PING IS HITTING THE PRIMER AND IN GOOD CONDITION JUST NOT HITTING HARD ENOUGH! ANY SUGGESTIONS OR ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
I've had the same problem with the match LEM trigger set up which uses the same lighter hammer spring that came with your kit. I use the factory hammer spring in all my HK pistols even the one that Bruce Gray reworked the action on. Unless the gun is a range/competition only gun I would never mess around with a lighter hammer spring. Bruce Gray doesn't recommend anything lighter than a 12lb hammer spring on a carry pistol. DA/SA HK's have a 14lb hammer spring standard and the LEM HK's have a 16lb hammer spring standard. If it isn't a carry weapon than I would order an assortment of hammer springs until I found the lightest one that will reliably ignite the ammo you want to use. If this is a carry pistol, I would put your factory hammer spring in it and call it a day.

1 more thing you can check is to see if your firing pin is protruding enough. I actually had a burr on the back side of the firing pin hole which was keeping the pin from protruding the proper amount. I only found this because I had another HK pistol to compare the firing pin protrusion with side by side. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi! Bruce Gray here. If I may, please try backing out the trigger over-travel stop screw. It's possible that the hammer is being slowed by the safety sear on the way down due to inadequate over-travel. If you find that you cannot diagnose this issue, let me know and I'll have one of my men correct it for you as a favour to an HKPro member, if you'll send it in to us. There is no other inherent reason why the Match kit should be less reliable in this regard.

As for reduced mainsprings in general, we do fit somewhat reduced springs to many HK's as a matter of course in our comprehensive action packages, but NOT in absolute preference to factory mainsprings for carry and duty applications. We of course advise our clients to test with their ammo thoroughly before trusting such springs for carry, and we advocate use of factory springs for this use in any event. That only makes good common sense. We supply RP springs for range use, with that proviso that our clients can make that decision.

In practice, my USP's always fired reliably with 12X springs with all but the most challenging foreign ammo. For example, I was forced by circumstance to run some questionable PMP military ball at the World Championships in South Africa in 2002, and I had a couple light hits on the warmup range that scared me silly. (Fortunately my USP9F ran perfectly in the actual match and got me to 8th. I loved shooting for HK; my stuff always ran!) Thank you for reading and for supporting this great Forum. -Bruce

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hi! Bruce Gray here. If I may, please try backing out the trigger over-travel stop screw. It's possible that the hammer is being slowed by the safety sear on the way down due to inadequate over-travel. If you find that you cannot diagnose this issue, let me know and I'll have one of my men correct it for you as a favour to an HKPro member, if you'll send it in to us. There is no other inherent reason why the Match kit should be less reliable in this regard.
This right here is why I love the shooting community. Big thumbs up to Bruce for being such a stand up guy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts