HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I very much enjoy all my H&K firearms. I have to say I would very much like to see a VP type 45 and they keep saying that they will not make one, so I got to thinking that it will not be a VP. I think they may just come up with a new name/model for the 45ACP & 10mm as I would think if they made a frame to handle one it could handle the other. I come to this idea after seeing a video where HK was interviewed and they said that they wanted to expand the striker fired line. I take that to mean more guns/calibers.

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
There is not a big enough market (world wide) for .45acp and 10mm.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
HK does not have an existing military or LE contract for a 10mm gun. Therefore, a 10mm gun for us civvies is a pipe dream.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I will say that the SIG 10mm pistols are very nice... although I still like an old school (post-upgrade) Delta Elite myself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I will say that the SIG 10mm pistols are very nice... although I still like an old school (post-upgrade) Delta Elite myself.
I have a Sig Tacops 1911 in 10mm and it's pretty darn sweet. But I wouldn't mind something that doesn't weigh 42 oz empty for carrying all day in the field. There's rumors of a P320 10mm in the works. But at this point, I'd much rather buy a HK or a CZ over another Sig.

Reactions: PorterM

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
1,598 Posts
I just don't get this fascination with 10mm. That ship has long sailed off the edge of the flat Earth. Combine all 10mm fans, and you have maybe 5000 units to order. Not worth the R&D. If the 10mm was all it was supposed to be, the .40 S&W would have never been necessary. (n) Cool as an historic novelty, but a holdover of Dirty Harry fans who are into semi-autos.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just don't get this fascination with 10mm. That ship has long sailed off the edge of the flat Earth. Combine all 10mm fans, and you have maybe 5000 units to order. Not worth the R&D. If the 10mm was all it was supposed to be, the .40 S&W would have never been necessary. (n) Cool as an historic novelty, but a holdover of Dirty Harry fans who are into semi-autos.
Wow - tell us how you really feel.

10mm has real viability as a powerful backcountry pistol caliber for protection against large animals, and also for hunting. It's a good alternative to heavy 357 magnum critter loads, for those of us that want to carry more than 6 rounds that a revolver offers in the backcountry. I live in a place where I have the possibility of encountering every large predator found in N. America, short of polar bears, literally at the end of my road, and I have encountered a number of them. That's why I prefer 10mm.

If the 10mm was all it was supposed to be, the .40 S&W would have never been necessary.
That's such a logically backwards statement it's kind of hard to even know where to begin. Maybe start by getting the history straight? .40 wasn't developed because "10mm wasn't all it was supposed to be" - it was developed precisely because 10mm was all it's supposed to be (when loaded to its full potential). 40 S&W was developed because apparently a number of agency folks couldn't handle and shoot 10mm accurately. And then, it turns out a bunch of them can't even shoot .40 accurately, so they had to compromise yet again and switch to 9mm. None of that is a reflection on 10mm being an over-rated round. Quite the opposite actually.

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
1,598 Posts
You've kind of proved my point. You have a need for a 10mm that is quite legitimate, and yet, quite out of the range of normal consumer use. Gun companies design guns that have potential to sell. Fewer consumers means less return on the dollar. Surely you get that. Don't take my remarks personally. They were not intended to insult. 5000 people who are rabid for 10mm who are very vocal on the boards will not tend to make bank, and that's why they get ignored.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow - tell us how you really feel.

10mm has real viability as a powerful backcountry pistol caliber for protection against large animals, and also for hunting. It's a good alternative to heavy 357 magnum critter loads, for those of us that want to carry more than 6 rounds that a revolver offers in the backcountry. I live in a place where I have the possibility of encountering every large predator found in N. America, short of polar bears, literally at the end of my road, and I have encountered a number of them. That's why I prefer 10mm.
I agree with this... as an avid hiker and backpacker, the 10mm has quite an important place in my arsenal.

Then again, if we are talking about niche cartridges, I often carry a .357 SIG pistol in urban environments and I can't really defend that one as easily...

·
Registered
37 Posts
You've kind of proved my point. You have a need for a 10mm that is quite legitimate, and yet, quite out of the range of normal consumer use. Gun companies design guns that have potential to sell. Fewer consumers means less return on the dollar. Surely you get that. Don't take my remarks personally. They were not intended to insult. 5000 people who are rabid for 10mm who are very vocal on the boards will not tend to make bank, and that's why they get ignored.
I don't take your comments personally at all. And while I fully acknowledge that 10mm obviously isn't popular on the same scale as 9, 40 & 45, it is clearly popular enough that quite a few ammo manufacturers make multiple options in the caliber, and a number of major and minor gun manufacturers offer 10mm models as well. Based on that, it's clearly more than a "historic novelty." And clearly it must "sell" or all those companies wouldn't bother with it. On the contrary - it seems like we are seeing more and more 10mm options being released as it becomes more popular, largely for the same reasons I previously mentioned.

HK surely has their reasons for not wanting to dip a toe in that water, but it's not because it isn't a valid and viable caliber, that somehow other manufacturers have figured out how to sell successfully. However I can also understand that there are extenuating circumstances that may be heavily influencing HK to stay focused on that which is most profitable.

Reactions: PorterM

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not necessarily. 10mm is far better than 40s & 45s. It has more uses.

Reactions: Hammer 67

·
Priest of the P7
4,802 Posts
Meh. I’m fine with 45 super out of a HK45 or USP for cats and black bears. 10mm isn’t enough in my book for brown bears anyway. 12ga slug ftw.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had that itch back when they were still out but I they were pretty much gone by the time I was out of school and making money. I finally scratched that itch with a Kimber Eclipse and several thousand round ammo buy a few years ago. I wouldn't mind having one of the Sig P220s but I don't know if I'll ever go there. There's two or three other makes out there besides the 1911 I wouldn't mind picking up as well as a couple three custom 1911 variants I'd like to get my hands on.

I do think the 10mm is a very niche market. I think it's a better round than .40 and much better than 9mm for MY purposes and MY hand size. In taking other people to the range over the years what I've found for the most part is people with little hands can shoot .45 ACP out of a 1911 pretty well and those same people can shoot high cap 9mms pretty well but they may not find OTHER large frame autos chambered in 10mm or .45 ACP (OR those same high cap 9mm sized .40 S&Ws in either compact or service size guns for that matter) particularly those with a double action trigger or a double stack magazine comfortable to hold or to shoot. I personally have found the 10mm Glock to have an annoying trigger action.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts