HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I had someone local installed night sights on my gun, they did a terrible job. Now I want to put a set of Meprolight night sights on my usp and have decided to send it to someone who can do a good job without scratching the slide. Any recommendations on who to send it to?

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've always had HK install the night sights on all of my guns.
It's a little expensive with the shipping costs and all but they are installed correctly.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Why don't you just buy the inhalation tool your self and do it. It's going to cost you about the same as is. The plus side is that you will always have the tool or you can sell it on this sight or e bay and get most of your money back. I think it costs about $125 or $150 tops. I have one for a Sig and have used it many times. I even charge someone to install sights in my area and the tool has paid for it self so it stands me nothing at this point and I have the tool. I am sure Brownells has it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My BJ Universal P500 sight pusher does USPs with no problem. The newer P30, Hk45 and HK45 were a little trickier but now they make a top clamp that takes care of that issue.

·
Registered
881 Posts
My BJ Universal P500 sight pusher does USPs with no problem. The newer P30, Hk45 and HK45 were a little trickier but now they make a top clamp that takes care of that issue.
I think I'll order a BJ Universal P500 sight pusher and take care of the future sight installs myself.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a great suggestion. I think that's what I'll do.

Dumb question, the tool can be used for both front and rear sights?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The last time I had someone local installed night sights on my gun, they did a terrible job. Now I want to put a set of Meprolight night sights on my usp and have decided to send it to someone who can do a good job without scratching the slide. Any recommendations on who to send it to?
Your USP is EXTEMELY EASY to install Meprolights on with NO special tools (other than a bench-vise). Takes me less than 5 minutes to do both front & rear. If you've never done it before, it might take you 10 minutes. . . probably less. It's really not rocket science. Takes me more time to type this than to change out the sights.

Remove your slide and wrap in a piece of cardboard leaving the top exposed. Place the slide in a vise with the top of the slide just a little higher than the top of the vise. Tighten the vise enough that the slide is secure and doesn't move when you try to move it by hand, and no more. Do not over-tighten the vise like Hercules, or you could easily crack your slide. Sounds like common sense, but there actually was a guy who cracked his slide in a vise a year or two ago. Anyway. . . For a "punch", take a scrap piece of hardwood cut to about the size of a 2 and 1/2 inch broken-off piece of a Chinese chopstick (I've actually used a broken-off piece of Chinese chopstick to do this). Make sure the tip is just small enough to fit the slide dovetail (you can whittle it a bit with an ordinary knife if need be). Place the tip of your wooden "punch" at the base of the sight dovetail (not on the blade of the sight, but the base). Knock the "punch" with an ordinary hammer until the sight falls out. Install the same way. Easy as pie, and you can't scratch the slide with the wooden "punch".

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had some Meprolights installed a couple years ago by a local 'smith. Today at the range, I noticed I wasn't hitting the shoot-n-see, although was still managing to ring the steel silhouette. My rear sight came loose! WTF, over. So loose, in fact, that I can push them completely through the dovetail in either direction. I'm wondering how they became this loose so suddenly. More importantly, should I just locktite them myself?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I had some Meprolights installed a couple years ago by a local 'smith. Today at the range, I noticed I wasn't hitting the shoot-n-see, although was still managing to ring the steel silhouette. My rear sight came loose! WTF, over. So loose, in fact, that I can push them completely through the dovetail in either direction. I'm wondering how they became this loose so suddenly. More importantly, should I just locktite them myself?
This is the way I do it. No Locktite needed. If you turn the sight over, you'll notice that there is one thin wall on the sight base. If you look closely, you'll see that the thin wall is punched out from the inside, such that the outside of the thin wall presses against the dovetail in the slide. The outside of that thin wall has the paint worn off where the punched out part touches the slide. That wall can be tapped in or out to make the sight tighter or looser in the dovetail. You can punch it out a little using a hammer with a screwdriver or a punch. The way I've done it is to drill a 3/16" hole in a block of scrap oak from an old pallet, and lay the sight on it's side with the punched thin wall down, and over the hole. Then I tap it from the inside edge of the sight with a hammer and punch to move that wall out just a touch.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is the way I do it. No Locktite needed. If you turn the sight over, you'll notice that there is one thin wall on the sight base. If you look closely, you'll see that the thin wall is punched out from the inside, such that the outside of the thin wall presses against the dovetail in the slide. The outside of that thin wall has the paint worn off where the punched out part touches the slide. That wall can be tapped in or out to make the sight tighter or looser in the dovetail. You can punch it out a little using a hammer with a screwdriver or a punch. The way I've done it is to drill a 3/16" hole in a block of scrap oak from an old pallet, and lay the sight on it's side with the punched thin wall down, and over the hole. Then I tap it from the inside edge of the sight with a hammer and punch to move that wall out just a touch.
Thanks for the advice. I did exactly that, and while I marred up the front face of the sight, it's securely in place now. I think I may tap it out and add a dab of locktite for peace of mind though.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I did exactly that, and while I marred up the front face of the sight, it's securely in place now. I think I may tap it out and add a dab of locktite for peace of mind though.
You are very welcome, glad I could help. If the wood left a whitish impression on the front of the sight, your regular clean & lube regimen will take it right off. If you feel like it's not snug enough then just tap out that thin wall a little more. You really don't need Locktite, but if it makes you happy. . .

·
Registered
618 Posts
Take the sight off drill a small hole in the center of the sight have it tapped and place an alan rench screw in it. place the sight back on the gun, put one drop of blue lock tight on the screw. shoot the gun to adjust the sight once you have it to where it needs to be tighten the screw. It should never come loose or fall out again. Hope that helps. By the way no charge for the info this time next time well we have to wait and see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts