HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to figure out if my expectations were just way off - or if I got a crappy old set of Meprolights.

I'd rate their brightness as "barely visible". I can see them - but they're about 1/4 as bright as I was expecting. I've never had (or even seen) any night sights before so I don't know how bright they usually are.

I took some pictures next to my internet routers with all the lights off to try to show the relative brightness level - but the camera seems to really pick them up well and they look brighter in the pictures than they do for real.

What do you guys think?
Should I:
Get used to 'em and realize it's much better than nothing?
Return them for another set or switch brands?
Save the $$ and stick with the stock sights?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Compared to the router lights, I'd say that's about right. Remember they are not a light, just glow in the dark radioactive waste ;)
I think it may be that your expectations were too high.

I've found mepros to be the brightest, but there are others who may contest that observation.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you think you have a problem just call Kimber and then ship them in for a replacment.:20000000:
+1

They look pretty bright and normal in the pics.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I just got my mep. adj night sights for my USP tactical and have no complaints. I think they are plenty bright. I cant realy tell from your pic. but I'm happy. I would call Kimber if your not happy and get another pair. if those aren't bright enough, then your expectations were just too high

·
Registered
851 Posts
You have to remember green tritium glows brightest, other colors are dimmer. It looks like you got an orange or yellow rear, green front combo. The green definitely glows about right in your pic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm trying to figure out if my expectations were just way off - or if I got a crappy old set of Meprolights.

I'd rate their brightness as "barely visible". I can see them - but they're about 1/4 as bright as I was expecting. I've never had (or even seen) any night sights before so I don't know how bright they usually are.

I took some pictures next to my internet routers with all the lights off to try to show the relative brightness level - but the camera seems to really pick them up well and they look brighter in the pictures than they do for real.

What do you guys think?
Should I:
Get used to 'em and realize it's much better than nothing?
Return them for another set or switch brands?
Save the $$ and stick with the stock sights?
they look fine, especially the green one. you have the yellow rears, and the other colors are not as bright. i understand why some people like the combo, but i prefer consistency, so i go all green on my weapons.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I experimented and brought a set just like yours, green in front, yellow in back.

Every other set I've purchased were all green, and sometimes at night it was rather dis-orienting to figure out where the front sight really is.

As a poster above mentioned, every other color seems dimmer than green. My yellow ones are significantly dimmer, though my green looks like yours.

I'm not dis-satisified, but will probably stick to green-green from now on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone.

I guess my expectations were just off. I walked around the house with them some more last night - some rooms had lights on and some were dark - and I could always see either the white rings or the glowing centers as the light levels rose and fell... I guess that accomplishes the mission, right?

Now to see if my plan for installation works... I'll be attempting it myself tonight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The difference is huge between the two colors, as you can tell the your pic you posted. I purchased the same combo you did and returned them for the green/green. I am much happier with the green/green combo's performance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I just got finished installing them. It was a very high tech procedure that included a special punch made from a chopstick :eek: but it worked just fine.

I'm proud of having the foresight to do two things before taking the old sights off:
1) I used my caliper to measure the distances that both sights were "in" from both edges of the slide
2) I set up a little square table with a rim around it on one side of the house (the point is that I could put the slide down on the table against the rim so that it would be in the same place each time) and taped a mason jar lid to the mirror that it was aiming at about 12 yards away

Between those two tricks (Especially #2), I was able to tell when I was finished that it was aiming pretty much where it had been before I started.

I'll hit the range this weekend to double check.

Anyway - now that my expectations have been lowered a bit, I'm happy with the sights. I can always see the sights now no matter what the lighting condition :D

Oh - I also just picked up a 5.11 tactical belt (it looks just like a normal leather belt but it has a permastiff piece in the middle of it so it is nice and rigid) and a Blackhawk Serpa OWB holster and I'm thrilled with both. It takes a heavy unbuttoned overshirt or a jacket to conceal this setup - but it's SO much better than trying to put the durn thing in my pants! The Serpa lock makes me feel much better about keeping a round in the chamber too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I prefer Meprolight nightsights over most others. A trick I've found is after installing them, clean the sights just like you'ld clean the gun. I don't know if they put a coat of oil or something on them or something, but I swear they appear brighter after you've wiped them down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts